BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

12-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

OEM exhaust mod-2nd version up and running

edit-
The version 2 is ACM's method and see their thread. Basically you eliminate the entire middle section of the OEM exhaust and run pipes "straight through" each resonance chamber and out the dual tips, eliminating the snaky piping of the stock system through the middle.

So thanks to ACM who completely the muffler extremely quickly and had it shipped within days. The muffler arived with clean welds and barely being able to tell it was modified. I chose to not get it painted as I already had some matte high temp paint at home and figured I would do that myself and save a few bucks.

I painted it matte black and got it installed today.

I really have no new clips to add compared to what is out there but I will try to record some anyway even though it will only be revving it unfortunately.

I need to say, anyone who is considering an exhaust, especially spending 2-4k on an exhaust, really ought to try this simple mod out. I had it done and installed for less than 500 bucks.

Sounds incredible. Just as expected. Probably louder than expected and is definetly not overly quiet by any means. Has a nice non-bassy sound.

However the one thing I will say is there is definetly some degree of drone and maybe I am overly sensitive but its not as quiet as stock. Cruising in 7th at 80mph creates a nice hum drone. At 75 in 7th it is barely there which is fine as that is my cruising speed. Or if you need to cruise in 80 then 6th cures the drone.

The good thing though its its not a really low bassy drone or bassy sound in general.

However driving around the city at slow speeds and normal 40-50mph speeds in cruising gear there is NO drone.

So bottom line is there is some drone as expected on freeway speeds at 80mph. Still less drone than any other remus or eisenmann I have had in the past. The sound is incredible. I cannot imagine another system sounding better for just a rear exhaust.

I reccomend everyone try this if they are contemplating an exhaust change!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
There can't be too many clips :-)
Don't hesitate to post vids.

I used my iPhone to capture clips of the AA and I think it captures the sound better than my GoPro.

Example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y8MV-7QXPM
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
Ateam
Banned
Rep

ill try my droid out!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Mine doesn't drone at all and it was done the first way.

Don't like drone, don't want drone.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
Ateam
Banned
Rep

Yes I would reccomend doing the original way if you want absolutely no cabin noise however the second way gives you a louder sound as it is essentially straight pipes with only the hemoltz resonator providing some sound damping. So as usual its a trade off. If you want a certain loudness you will invetibly get some drone but it sounds like if you want no drone the original mod may be your safeest bet! When I say drone its not the deep bassy drone of most systems! I love it since I dont cruise at 80 very often!

It sounds like a race car to me now-really diggin the sound. Its totally stock and quiet when city driving-its truly only right at 80mph in 7th-must be an rpm range that you otherwise really never hit!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
Ateam
Banned
Rep

Tried to do a vid with my droid but you could barely hear it-will have to figure something else out.

BUT I really should not have posted so soon as that was based on a short drive home from the exhaust shop with the muffler brand spanking new as far as all the new piping.

I took it on a long 1 hour cruise in all sorts of situations, highway cruising, city, flooring it etc.

Around the city there is NO drone at all-nothing-totally stock which is great for all that city driving in general. The boomy bass drone of so many drives me nuts

I really do not know if the slight drone on the freeway at about 75-80 is anything different than the stock exhaust that drones right in there if you listen carefully. I have to literally have stereo off, a/c off and as quiet as I can to actually hear the "drone" THis may simply be what an exhaust making some noise actualy sounds like because I had multiple exhausts in the past and drone was something much louder.

at WOT this thing is LOUD-I mean I would not want it any louder and have no clue how people run catless setups with race mufflers-its already getting attention everywhere. Every car I pull up to or leave at a light or pass on the freeway gets looks so I would not be able to cope with catless!

The sound is as close as I have ever heard to a race car in person. It really shows you the youtube videos do not even illustrate anything about most exhausts so to be honest its not worth judging based on youtube/videos people post.

The great thing about this exhaust is that it is not overly bassy but a tad deeper in the 1k-5k range. After 5k if you get on it-there is a seemless transition through the 5-8400 where the exhaust begins to scream and then subtly gives way to the scream of the intake (with bmc filter) at 8k-8400.

So you get to hear the exhaust for a good part of a run and then you still get that same intake sound without an exhaust drowning it out. The scream of the exhaust really compliments the scream of the intake.

Taking off in first is -WOW. The sound of the shifts 1 to 2, 2 to 3, is absolutely something you would hear on a race track (obviously quiet). I do not know-I cannot express how much enjoyment this adds. I always really enjoyed exhausts but got so sick of the drone that I just could not do it. This is really the best of both worlds. Its freaking loud and virtually straight pipes, but minimal drone and ability to cruise at normal speeds with a completely quiet cabin so passengers and myself do not get a headache.

For a few hundred this is a no brainer. I would atleast try it if you are thinking about going eisennman or bmw performance given they are a big investment. This may fill your need or maybe not but worth the few hundred to try!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #7
Sal@AUTOcouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M760xi

Thanks for the review!!

LINK to video we made.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #8
THE TECH
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
So you paid to have them ship you a stock, modified exhaust? Seems like a lotta effort for so little difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 10:19 PM   #9
808elise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CB E46 and SG E92 M3s

Garage List
So the gain is a different exhaust tone. Why not just delete section three all together and just straight pipe it out the back? Would this be a bad idea? Sure would lose a lot of weight.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #10
jra85
M3NTAL
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

This sounds very similar to the Meisterschaft GT based on videos (I have a GT on my car), which I think is one of the best sounding on this car. The GT drones at 2500-3000 RPM too. Definitely sounds good for the price versus buying a new section 3!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #11
Sal@AUTOcouture
Rep

Drives: M760xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
So you paid to have them ship you a stock, modified exhaust? Seems like a lotta effort for so little difference.
The tone in exhausts is actually pretty significant. Same effort as shipping out an aftermarket system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808elise View Post
So the gain is a different exhaust tone. Why not just delete section three all together and just straight pipe it out the back? Would this be a bad idea? Sure would lose a lot of weight.
You'd be losing weight, but gaining significant drone.
Appreciate 0