BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

12-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Didn’t Get That New Job? You Need a Better Facebook Score

I knew this was coming...

Quote:
What if your Klout score — that controversial measure of your “influence” on social networks — determined whether you got a job? What if hiring managers combed through online data metrics trying to determine your work ethic? What if you needed a certain score on the job market equivalent of your SATs to even be considered for a new position?

Reppify — a startup based in San Francisco — provides an online dashboard for recruiters and HR departments that seeks to make this a reality. The company pulls data not only from LinkedIn’s business-centric social network, but also from Facebook, Twitter, and even GitHub profiles, building what it calls a “job fit score.” A hiring manager might need a new Java developer, and Reppify will look across a candidate’s resume and connections to build scores for “reputation,” “influence,” “footprint,” and “overall candidacy” — all based on parameters set by the hiring manager himself.

The Reppify dashboard
Hiring managers may appreciate the service. But for job seekers, it could be a disturbing thought — not only because they’re being judged by a web application, but because the service is pooling information about them from so many different sources. In a conversation with Wired, Reppify CEO Chirag Nangia downplayed the importance of the metrics, saying he sees this data as only “part of the hiring process.” And he pointed out that Reppify only shares private information about you with its clients if you give Reppify permission. But the app toes the line of what federal regulations allow.

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise...book-linkedin/
      12-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
Blayne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Escalade

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bahn View Post
I knew this was coming...

Quote:
What if your Klout score — that controversial measure of your “influence” on social networks — determined whether you got a job? What if hiring managers combed through online data metrics trying to determine your work ethic? What if you needed a certain score on the job market equivalent of your SATs to even be considered for a new position?

Reppify — a startup based in San Francisco — provides an online dashboard for recruiters and HR departments that seeks to make this a reality. The company pulls data not only from LinkedIn’s business-centric social network, but also from Facebook, Twitter, and even GitHub profiles, building what it calls a “job fit score.” A hiring manager might need a new Java developer, and Reppify will look across a candidate’s resume and connections to build scores for “reputation,” “influence,” “footprint,” and “overall candidacy” — all based on parameters set by the hiring manager himself.

The Reppify dashboard
Hiring managers may appreciate the service. But for job seekers, it could be a disturbing thought — not only because they’re being judged by a web application, but because the service is pooling information about them from so many different sources. In a conversation with Wired, Reppify CEO Chirag Nangia downplayed the importance of the metrics, saying he sees this data as only “part of the hiring process.” And he pointed out that Reppify only shares private information about you with its clients if you give Reppify permission. But the app toes the line of what federal regulations allow.

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise...book-linkedin/
Fuckin realllllly hate where this world is going....
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
Fuckin realllllly hate where this world is going....
You actually believe this nonsense? lol...
      12-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Many HR departments use social sites to evaluate you, some even ask your permission. It isn't a hoax.
      12-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
Many HR departments use social sites to evaluate you, some even ask your permission. It isn't a hoax.
This. We look at new hires FB and Twitter to get a judge of what kind of person they are. If all they talk about is drugs, drinking, partying, etc. and there is another person who is just as qualified, the "higher risk" person doesn't get the job.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
The Ghost of Tom Joad
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B744

deleted facebook months ago. haven't looked back since.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #7
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

all of my stuff is private. plus im a good boy : )
      12-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I knew about this.

The article speaks of social network "influence" and "reputation". What exactly does that mean? Basing who you are as a person based on how many fucking FB friends you have? That is ludcrous, and sounds nothing short of a hoax.

FWIW, Facebook gets a lot of crap for their privacy settings, but I think people are just retarded and don't know how to use them. I've made it so it's impossible to find me (my super common name doesn't help either). I've tested it a few times just to make sure you can't see me. Some people I defriended a while ago thought I died in Iraq and my FB was deleted, I know because they asked another friend about it, lol.
      12-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #9
Blayne
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost of Tom Joad View Post
deleted facebook months ago. haven't looked back since.
Never had it, never will. Think it's retarded how people waste so much time posting there entire life story on there. No on that dosn't know me, isn't going to know me...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #10
Blayne
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeppers...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #11
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I knew about this.

The article speaks of social network "influence" and "reputation". What exactly does that mean? Basing who you are as a person based on how many fucking FB friends you have? That is ludcrous, and sounds nothing short of a hoax.

FWIW, Facebook gets a lot of crap for their privacy settings, but I think people are just retarded and don't know how to use them. I've made it so it's impossible to find me (my super common name doesn't help either). I've tested it a few times just to make sure you can't see me. Some people I defriended a while ago thought I died in Iraq and my FB was deleted, I know because they asked another friend about it, lol.
You still don't get it...
      12-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #12
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Never had it, never will. Think it's retarded how people waste so much time posting there entire life story on there. No on that dosn't know me, isn't going to know me...
Same here but we are quickly coming to the day where people not on fb will be considered weirdos.
      12-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #13
Blayne
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I knew about this.

It sounds retarded as shit, yes..though is it going to happen...I put money on it. Look at where our society as a whole was in the beginning of 2000, now 12 years from now, it's s TOTALLY different place, shit is changing so fast, and is all technology based. Before people knew, who knew who. Now look look on fuckin Facebook like the above article is saying....it's the same principal.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #14
Blayne
Enlisted Member
Rep

Fuckin iPhone....can you not edit posts from the app...made spelling errors above and unno how to edit
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #15
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
You still don't get it...
Then explain it to me oh brilliant one.
      12-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #16
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Fuckin iPhone....can you not edit posts from the app...made spelling errors above and unno how to edit
you made another error.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #17
Blayne
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
Quote:
you made another error.
me no see....me think you going to bust balls
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #18
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Then explain it to me oh brilliant one.
Click

http://www.reppify.com/

Does it look like a hoax?
      12-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #19
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:
Same here but we are quickly coming to the day where people not on fb will be considered weirdos.
true story, in school we have actually spoken on this subject. If your looking for a job in tech or marketing, not having a Fb could look bad.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #20
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by txz4 View Post
true story, in school we have actually spoken on this subject. If your looking for a job in tech or marketing, not having a Fb could look bad.
It's already focked up dating to no end.
      12-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #21
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Click

http://www.reppify.com/

Does it look like a hoax?
Again, not clicking the link.

It's one company (although it seems like there is one similar to it in the article), and you have to sign up for it. Although it can attempt to grab limited data based off of your e-mail address, which means very little if you provide a valid e-mail address that is not tied to any social networks. I have quite a few e-mail addresses, only one of which is tied to my FB account.

Also, read the section in the article about the FCRA.

"Reppify says in its privacy policy that it will not create a score for a client unless the client completes a certification required by the FCRA."

You're still not explaining anything. You're just posting links.
      12-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #22
Blayne
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Again, not clicking the link.

It's one company (although it seems like there is one similar to it in the article), and you have to sign up for it. Although it can attempt to grab limited data based off of your e-mail address, which means very little if you provide a valid e-mail address that is not tied to any social networks. I have quite a few e-mail addresses, only one of which is tied to my FB account.

Also, read the section in the article about the FCRA.

"Reppify says in its privacy policy that it will not create a score for a client unless the client completes a certification required by the FCRA."

You're still not explaining anything. You're just posting links.
Look you fail, he may only be posting links. Though, you are only giving your opinion on what YOU think. Look at the past and look at it now. You really think technology is going to stop expanding into our everyday lives and what we do? Your saying technology will be limited in this aspect or whatever else, it won't. Were a stupid race and it's only just all begun, there will no privacy in the years to come, be it 30 or 300, though it will come.
Appreciate 0