BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

08-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #45
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
Do people really buy cars like a Z06 thinking about how good of a daily driver it will be? I'm not trying to be facetious, but when I was shopping for a car in that performance range, that thought never crossed my mind, once.
I do. I look at a couple of things -

How is the clutch in heavy traffic?
How is it over speed bumps and in tight parking lots?
Is the trunk at least roomy enough for 1 medium sized suitcase?

For me the GTR wins on all counts. No clutch pedal and the dual clutch transmission drives very well in traffic. It clears most driveways and speed bumps. The front lip can be replaced individually, so scratching it up doesn't mean the bumper is ruined. Decent trunk space.

The Z06 also does well but I haven't tried out the clutch in traffic yet.

I like to daily drive a fast car and enjoy it as much as possible. Next car for me will almost certainly be a GTR, unless I find a way to get my claws on a 997.2 turbo.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 10:10 PM   #46
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

I guess that makes sense if you own one car. I honestly don't think any of the exotics are great daily drivers (F430, Corvette's, and even my car) if you're carrying luggage and worried how stiff the suspension is over bumps.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 02:18 AM   #47
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcardio View Post
Well you’ve answered your own question, six months of ownership isn’t enough time to determine how costly it will be to maintain. I don’t know one why or the other but if I bought a GT-R I would have fun with it. Hard driving on the street (which is what I’d be doing if I had a GT-R) could end up costing al most / just as much as beating it up on the track I would think. I’m of the opinion that the GT-R would indeed be expensive to maintain, especially for those who were barely able to afford one to begin with. I’d rather have an E92 M3 though and put 20k in the bank.
Save 20k?
A desirable M3 (i.e. with options) comes out to about 77k, give or take.
a GTR is 81k from the dealers (I've been checking)
at most 86k.
The only options on the GTR are floor mats ($260) and iPod ($400, if i remember correctly)
Unlike the m3, where you have DCT, ZCP, Prem, Navi, CWP, etc....
Remember, the GTR comes standard with all of those.

And no matter how hard you really drive it on the street, it will never add up to the same as a track. if it does, you are really endangering the life of others on the street too much
you shouldn't be hitting 100mph+ so much (if really at all... but I'm not a hypocrite) on public roads
nor should you be cornering at high speeds
or braking from 100-50 to 0 etc on local roads so much

tracking and aggressive street driving are a big difference.
Read up on tracking, it's amazing.
$1000 track days for the GTR... something I can't afford (yet)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 02:53 AM   #48
EmmettBrown
Banned
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcardio View Post
Well you’ve answered your own question, six months of ownership isn’t enough time to determine how costly it will be to maintain. I don’t know one why or the other but if I bought a GT-R I would have fun with it. Hard driving on the street (which is what I’d be doing if I had a GT-R) could end up costing al most / just as much as beating it up on the track I would think. I’m of the opinion that the GT-R would indeed be expensive to maintain, especially for those who were barely able to afford one to begin with. I’d rather have an E92 M3 though and put 20k in the bank.
I've logged 9k miles in those 6 months and the car has been bulletproof. I don't drive like a grandma either. But like you said, it has only been 6 months so we'll see. The E92 M3 is a great car. I was going to get that after my 335 but was spoiled by the power of our 997 turbo that I had to get something easily daily-driveable with just as much power, which was the GTR (or Z06). You really can't beat it for the price.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 09:35 AM   #49
PhiDeltBeers
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SEVERAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
You have an escalade and a gx470! Get a gt-r lol. I'm trying to fucking find a good one so I can buy it. I feel like every one I find gets sold instantly or the next day. SUCKS ASS..anyways keep me updated if you get one Sis lives in Tulsa also, I visit her a lot so maybe we could both meet up in our gt-rs (if we get them )
Sorry, my sig is not representative of what I currently own. Those are cars I've had in the past several years. I currently only own the Lexus GX 470 and the 335. I didn't want people thinking I'm a Bimmer fanboy like so many others on this forum, so I listed the vehicles I've been through. I'm pretty diverse when it comes to autos. I like and respect many types. That'd be cool if we both got GT-R's! One of my close friends is putting down 550hp to the wheels on his Z06 and really wants me to get it to see how many cars he could pull on me. I laughed and said let's go from 0-80. He responded with a 50-150. How often does someone go 150???!! Anyway it's all in fun, and I hope I'll pull the trigger on one in the near future, but like I said, I'm in no real hurry.
      08-17-2010, 05:54 PM   #50
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiDeltBeers View Post
Sorry, my sig is not representative of what I currently own. Those are cars I've had in the past several years. I currently only own the Lexus GX 470 and the 335. I didn't want people thinking I'm a Bimmer fanboy like so many others on this forum, so I listed the vehicles I've been through. I'm pretty diverse when it comes to autos. I like and respect many types. That'd be cool if we both got GT-R's! One of my close friends is putting down 550hp to the wheels on his Z06 and really wants me to get it to see how many cars he could pull on me. I laughed and said let's go from 0-80. He responded with a 50-150. How often does someone go 150???!! Anyway it's all in fun, and I hope I'll pull the trigger on one in the near future, but like I said, I'm in no real hurry.
from my reading, you can make the GTR up there in the power with little to no trouble lol
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 07:02 AM   #51
PhiDeltBeers
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SEVERAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
from my reading, you can make the GTR up there in the power with little to no trouble lol
Yeah, I read something about a Switzer P800 tune that supposedly gives it the obvious 800hp. Though I believe it was around $16k!! Too much for this guy. Are any other tunes available for it? I really need to research it more and I'm not sure I'd want to do to much with it like I have the Bimmer.
      08-18-2010, 07:21 AM   #52
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiDeltBeers View Post
Yeah, I read something about a Switzer P800 tune that supposedly gives it the obvious 800hp. Though I believe it was around $16k!! Too much for this guy. Are any other tunes available for it? I really need to research it more and I'm not sure I'd want to do to much with it like I have the Bimmer.
Cobb tune, mid pipes & intakes = 500 hp at wheels for about $2500
Appreciate 0