BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

04-30-2011, 11:35 AM   #45
737Drvr
Private
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR/M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskamatt View Post
There are aspects that I completely agree with you. I believe I might be in a similar situation as you (regarding knowledge of Vettes). The old man traded in his Z06 for a ZR1.

Although this seems like the cool, awesome, HP fanatic thing to do I do not agree with it at all. When speaking of the ZR1, I feel we are leaving the "bang for your buck" category and getting up there in the $$$ category.

It's performance numbers are truly amazing, however, I have yet to experience the awesomeness that this car provides. Where can 638 hp really be experienced? A lot of members chime in saying the ZR1 is more of a garage queen and I completely agree with that.

Ok here it comes, everyone ready for this?

Being 22 (I am young and I am fortunate enough to experience some of the capabilities of these cars) I truly appreciated the Z06 over the ZR1.

I do not like driving the ZR1. It makes me very nervous. It is not the HP it is just the $$$ amount of the thing I am driving (I try and respect cars). I would probably feel the same way in any 6 figure car (example Turbo S) as I cannot afford any mishaps in vehicles like these. This, in my honest opinion, took away from the joy that the Z06 offered. (75k and 505 of NA HP)
I smell what your cooking. When it is someone else's car, you tend to worry more about its treatment and what can go wrong. The exception I can think of to this are the cars you use during a driving school such as Bondurant, the Audi experience, etc. While you don't want to wreck one of these, the schools help and encourage you to push both yourself and the car. The classes are pricey but a fun way to experience the potential of these cars. They offer a ZR1 course out at Bondurant. That I think would be fun. In the realm of Vette's, the Z06 does seem to be the sweet spot.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #46
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskamatt View Post
Because M3/BMW owners have absolutely no stereotype.
Actually, the M3 owners that I know are like me. Hard working professionals who are car enthusiasts.
      04-30-2011, 08:41 PM   #47
E92TTKING
Colonel
Greece
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737Drvr View Post
I'm with you. I try to keep it civil. To be honest, I do not own a Turbo S but a few of of my cars and coffee buds do. I had a GT3, which I actually think provides a more inspiring drive than the Turbo models. That is not to take anything away from them as they provide awesome acceleration and are daily driven by a lot of folks. I miss the GT3 but like so many of us car guys like to own different types of cars. It had exceptional build quality, interior (never a rattle), and the paint job was fantastic. It was also a blast to drive. I look forward to owning a GTR to experience the many great aspects I hear it has to offer. And yes those are Vette posters on the walls. They were gifts from my Dad from back in the day. LOL. He is a Vette fanatic and is still trying to get me to join the dark side.
what flooring is this?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 04:17 PM   #48
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Quote:
I smell what your cooking. When it is someone else's car, you tend to worry more about its treatment and what can go wrong. The exception I can think of to this are the cars you use during a driving school such as Bondurant, the Audi experience, etc. While you don't want to wreck one of these, the schools help and encourage you to push both yourself and the car. The classes are pricey but a fun way to experience the potential of these cars. They offer a ZR1 course out at Bondurant. That I think would be fun. In the realm of Vette's, the Z06 does seem to be the sweet spot.

That's why you should get a GTR. It hits the sweet spot. I debated between a Turbo S and the new GTR and came to the conclusion a GTR would be more fun(because I would actually drive the thing like its intended instead of turning it into a garage queen).

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 01:03 AM   #49
737Drvr
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greek335xi View Post
what flooring is this?
Thanks. They called it a "flaked floor." Go figure. They put down the normal paint coating on the floor and sprayed the flakes over it, then sealed it. A lot of folks have this, some much nicer than this. I like it for a couple of reasons. The color hides the dirt and those "flakes" provide a grippy texture on the floor.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 01:11 AM   #50
737Drvr
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997GT3 View Post
That's why you should get a GTR. It hits the sweet spot. I debated between a Turbo S and the new GTR and came to the conclusion a GTR would be more fun(because I would actually drive the thing like its intended instead of turning it into a garage queen).
I agree. Now it's just a matter of ordering one. I live in AZ, so I'm going to wait to order it until late June/early July as the winters here are our driving season. I must admit, my P car sat more than it should have. But I'm glad to say I drove my Lambo as much as a guy could who has two little ones and the responsibilities that go along with that. With that said, both of them like cars and I use that leverage on mom (wife) when looking at a new car. . I just have to get them to say they both think I should get a Blue car next. I've already played up that the GTR has 4 seats and am continuing to work on the wife. Thanks for your input on the car. Looking forward to getting one.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 09:23 AM   #51
CarbonAlpine
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M4

Hmm
Previous BMW: E36 Reiger Custom Green vert E46 ///M3 Cabonblack vert E46 ///M3 AW vert E63 645ci AW Coupe E92 ///M3 AW E93 ///M3 SG Vert
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #52
takashin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 YMB F82 M4

I feel like if you buy any premium car, whether it P-Car, Vette, GTR, you should promise to autocross and track it every once in a while.

I manage to get my willies by driving M3s (E30 to E90) and just banging on that rev limiter flying through gears. The E30s and E36s are very rewarding to drive, because they will bite if you get it wrong. (Like Vipers and FF Cobras and even Vettes)

When I do ride alongs at Corvette Club Autocrosses I feel bad for the guys with their auto transmissions, and they all regret their decision and eventually jump over to a manual one.

Vettes have all the necessary ingredients to put a big smile on most faces and the price for that is great.

The great thing about all sports cars is; they are meant for you to drive the piss out of them, and if you aren't hitting the limiter and occasionally causing the car to rotate (along with burning through pads and tires), you're doing it wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #53
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
+1. whether you like the Corvette or choose to dog on it for its dismal interior, you have to respect it. it's a real meat-and-potatoes sports car that offers unbeatable performance at its price point. I'd love to get a Z06 as a second car.
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #54
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 SOLD 11 5.0 'Stang

If you are paying attention to the interior... you ain't driving the car. Last time checked(just before I sold my E90) I noticed alot of plastic in it as well??? Doesn't make it cheap. Would you call a Ferrari cheaply made because most spend more time in the shop than in the owners garage??
      05-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #55
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
I just got back from the Ron Fellows Performance Driving School at Spring Mountain. I posted that before and I know exactly what your saying. That being said I STILL think the Z06 is the sweet spot.

I was able to mash the accelerator when everyone else in the ZR1 (about 12 to 3 ratio) had to baby it because of the back end coming around. I would not say I was a better driver but I did indeed pass quite a few ZR1's on our hot laps. It was awesome.

That being said the instructors really emphasized the Grand Sport over anything. They wanted us all to be smoother and less power hungry. Knowing that I was indeed not going to be top dog in the class I think I focused more on my lines and was therefore able to surpass some of the others even in their ZR1's (some people were just not very good though so I may be giving myself credit).

Anyway the Z06 is an awesome superb car and I would be drooling over one with the carbon ceramics. Those are insane. So stable. So powerful. So smooth

I will make my pitch for spring mountain though. They had 11 (yes that is 7,018 hp) 638 hp corvettes lined up in a row for their ZR1 students. Rumor has it Bondurant has only 2-3.

Honestly the best 3 days I have ever had.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #56
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Fool View Post
If you are paying attention to the interior... you ain't driving the car. Last time checked(just before I sold my E90) I noticed alot of plastic in it as well??? Doesn't make it cheap. Would you call a Ferrari cheaply made because most spend more time in the shop than in the owners garage??
This is very funny but also very true. I asked the instructors how fast they hit on the back straight and they would always respond, "I never look at the speedometer".

Of course I sit in traffic everyday so I do get a lot of time staring my interior.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #57
jasonlochrie1
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

I think that the corvette needs a DCT now,along with this updated interior and a DCT i would buy a Vette ASAP! LOL! any idea if and when GM will enter the DCT arena?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 05:22 PM   #58
jayxer
Rep
Drives: GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
The Corvette has always been a great bang for the buck and it does have an eye-catching shape. However, it also has low budget a rent-a-car interior design and, IMO, a bit of a sleazy owner image.
Not to rag on you, but you could argue the same about the "typical" jersey shore wannabe beemer driver...........
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #59
Chachi112
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 CTS-V Coupe, 2015 M3

the interior isnt that bad......

but i'm more of a fan of the outside....

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 01:46 AM   #60
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

[QUOTE=Chachi112;10038038]the interior isnt that bad......

QUOTE]

If you say so. But for one thing, that steering wheel looks like it came out of an old Cobalt. It has no business being in a 100k car. It's just a plain embarrassment.

And what's with the parking brake lever being over on the passenger side?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #61
Chachi112
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 CTS-V Coupe, 2015 M3

when you belt the throttle the last thing your thinking about is the cobalt steering wheel....
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 01:59 AM   #62
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi112 View Post
when you belt the throttle the last thing your thinking about is the cobalt steering wheel....
That's true but it's still ridiculous of Chevrolet to put that cheap looking steering wheel in any Corvette.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 08:50 AM   #63
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

I personally have a love hate relationship with Corvette.

I don't think you can wrap everything in Alcantara and call it an improvement, but that is IMHO. Corvette needs to RE-approach the ergonomics and seating position then move on to improving actual seats, design and aesthetics of the interior.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 09:38 AM   #64
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi112 View Post
the interior isnt that bad......
If you say so. But for one thing, that steering wheel looks like it came out of an old Cobalt. It has no business being in a 100k car. It's just a plain embarrassment.

And what's with the parking brake lever being over on the passenger side?
You're way too fickle. Kind of reminds me of the dude that went through the effort to paint his brand-new SSII M3 TiAg. Some things you just have to live with rather than play Siskel & Ebert with everything.

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 02:00 AM   #65
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
You're way too fickle. Kind of reminds me of the dude that went through the effort to paint his brand-new SSII M3 TiAg. Some things you just have to live with rather than play Siskel & Ebert with everything.
Yes, I'm just very fussy about certain things that bug me on some cars.

I don't like the ugly $2.00 Pep Boys radio antenna on the rear quarter of the latest Mustang. Also can't stand the way just about all vehicle manufacturers have eliminated the dark band of tint (eyebrow) from across the top of the front windshield. At least the Corvette still has it. But I know the next M3 will not have it. Then again the E90 M3's haven't had it since 2009.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 07:34 AM   #66
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

BMW- the ultimate interior snob machine!
Appreciate 0