BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #45
aerogear2000
Enlisted Member
0

 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hayward CA


Posts: 30
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGADawgFan View Post
at lower revs it's easily 15-20% louder than the Megan. At higher revs and at highway cruise the Megan is louder. A friend of mine (kerrit above) has the Megan on his E90 M3.

Do you have a test pipe?

Sound clip (CNT exhaust with test pipe) very aggressive and loud with a test pipe.
__________________
2008 BMW M3 coupe 6speed
2009 Nissan GTR
2005 Toyota 4Runner V8
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #46
UGADawgFan
Private First Class
2

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Issaquah, WA


Posts: 168
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerogear2000 View Post
Do you have a test pipe?


Negative..just standard rear section.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #47
M0J0
Private First Class
2

 
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston


Posts: 165
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrit View Post
I heard the exhaust idling on UGADawgFan's car. It's very rumbly and loud under 3000 rpms. I have the megan and it's completely opposite, more mellow and hardly any drone, and sounds a bit more exotic and louder at high rpms.

For a DD I wouldn't go with the CNT unless you really like the noise.
I don't really want a real loud noise. I hate a lot of drone. I guess I will just have to wait a month or so till they have Megan in stock again.

I will go ahead and install the test pipes and tune next week.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #48
scutts
Private First Class
2

 
Drives: Jet Black E92M 6mt
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Queens, NY


Posts: 199
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0J0 View Post
I don't really want a real loud noise. I hate a lot of drone. I guess I will just have to wait a month or so till they have Megan in stock again.

I will go ahead and install the test pipes and tune next week.
Hey, just to add to this collection of impressions, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to stand the exhaust for the first 2 weeks because of its loudness to be completely honest. A month passed by and now I adore the sound that it produces. I think it's a perfect loudness-wise (wish it was louder in the higher rev). The drone is more specifically from 1800-2200 RPM. It's a very narrow range of rev that drones. I can understand DCT-cars with their cruising RPM around 2k may have issue, but 6-speed, you learn to cruise above that RPM and it's a total joy.

I can't praise enough of these pipes. Also, anyone having fitment issue, should try loosing the pipe where it connects to x-pipe and just rotate. I didn't have to use blow-torch to modify anything.

Either way (Megan or CNT) should do the trick as I'm all for inexpensive exhaust pipes, but Megans seem to have more fitment issue that requires bending the pipes - which I dread.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #49
M0J0
Private First Class
2

 
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston


Posts: 165
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scutts View Post
Hey, just to add to this collection of impressions, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to stand the exhaust for the first 2 weeks because of its loudness to be completely honest. A month passed by and now I adore the sound that it produces. I think it's a perfect loudness-wise (wish it was louder in the higher rev). The drone is more specifically from 1800-2200 RPM. It's a very narrow range of rev that drones. I can understand DCT-cars with their cruising RPM around 2k may have issue, but 6-speed, you learn to cruise above that RPM and it's a total joy.

I can't praise enough of these pipes. Also, anyone having fitment issue, should try loosing the pipe where it connects to x-pipe and just rotate. I didn't have to use blow-torch to modify anything.

Either way (Megan or CNT) should do the trick as I'm all for inexpensive exhaust pipes, but Megans seem to have more fitment issue that requires bending the pipes - which I dread.

Good luck.
Well, I have a DCT. I am going to wait for a Megan next year or just not both with a new exhaust. Constant drone and a loud exhaust is not my idea of fun.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #50
scutts
Private First Class
2

 
Drives: Jet Black E92M 6mt
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Queens, NY


Posts: 199
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0J0 View Post
Well, I have a DCT. I am going to wait for a Megan next year or just not both with a new exhaust. Constant drone and a loud exhaust is not my idea of fun.
Can't say it's a quiet exhaust, just livable for me once I got used to it. Hope you find the exhaust that fits your taste.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #51
M0J0
Private First Class
2

 
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston


Posts: 165
iTrader: (0)

One mans liveable might not be anothers. I am leaning towards waiting for more Megan SS to come out next year.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST