BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-08-2012, 06:10 AM   #1
raywong
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Engine / transmission mount

I have a 6-sp. driving at low rpm, I can hear and feel something bumping up and down every time I lift off the throttle. Is there any way to check the engine mount, the transmission mount, the clutch damper? Any advice please
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
If you are hearing a clunk everytime you press the clutch, that is normal. Unless somebody took your engine and tranny out, your motor and tranny mounts should not be loose. Those mounts last long. Without lifting your car and looking the mounts, is hard to say. The way you can tell if the tranny mounts are loose, put it in first and take off, watch the stick for large movements up and down. As far as the engine, the hood can tell if your engine is loose. Look under the hood and see if your intake is hitting under the hood. Hope this helped.

Eric
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

I dunno what the first guy wrote, but what you are probaly experiencing is the lash in the driveline when you release the throttle (no big deal). These cars make lots of noises. I wouldn't worry about the engine/tranny mounts just yet, if you want to check the engine mounts, put the brake on and put the car in first gear with the hood up. Slowly let the clutch engage and have someone watch the engine to see if there is any abrupt/unusual movement.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by talontid View Post
I dunno what the first guy wrote, but what you are probaly experiencing is the lash in the driveline when you release the throttle (no big deal). These cars make lots of noises. I wouldn't worry about the engine/tranny mounts just yet, if you want to check the engine mounts, put the brake on and put the car in first gear with the hood up. Slowly let the clutch engage and have someone watch the engine to see if there is any abrupt/unusual movement.
+1, I think that he is experiencing the clunk when pressing on the clutch. But yes, these cars are notorious for having a lot of noises. If you wanted a quite car, should have bought something different.
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
raywong
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elm3
Quote:
Originally Posted by talontid View Post
+1, I think that he is experiencing the clunk when pressing on the clutch. But yes, these cars are notorious for having a lot of noises. If you wanted a quite car, should have bought something different.
I want a quiet car? I have a few manual car, for example my 10 year old 360 modena is very solid, very tight. The only noise it makes is tire squelching and exhaust screaming, absolutely no clunking. I am just a little surprised a new M3 would have such flaw.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by raywong View Post
I want a quiet car? I have a few manual car, for example my 10 year old 360 modena is very solid, very tight. The only noise it makes is tire squelching and exhaust screaming, absolutely no clunking. I am just a little surprised a new M3 would have such flaw.
This is actually a race car, it is not going to be a quite car by no means. If you want a quite car, you should have bought a 328i or 335i. That is the nature of this beast. You are going to hear clickings, clatters and clunks all day long. That is one thing I love about the M3.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 07:07 AM   #7
jerembutler
Rep
Drives: Navy Blue X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
another +1 man. And like the other guy said, It's supposed to be/sound like that. well if you've still got some more doubts then by all means have it checked. or you could change the engine motor mounts or any part you'd be doubtful of but I'm still sure that "clunk" sound would still be there.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

I like the noises too, better than adding yet more weight with sound insulation or using quieter and likely less heavy duty equipment, or achieving quiet without those tradeoffs by driving up the cost. The M3 supplement manual says that these noises are normal. That lift-off noise you're hearing is probably the tranny or diff because of the sudden load change. It's most evident when in 2nd gear, accelerating full throttle to redline, and then abruptly lifting off the throttle. Nothing to worry about.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #9
jerembutler
Rep
Drives: Navy Blue X3

^I do like the sounds too. maybe the TS is just not used to what he calls the "clunk" sound yet
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #10
baba louey
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 6sp ZCP Mel red coupe

I have a somewhat similiar condition/noise on my 2012. I mentioned it to the service manager and he said that this was normal. I then went to the sales manager and we got a new M3 out and I reproduced the same noise. I am now convinced that the noise is normal.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 12:38 PM   #11
AveryBrandon
Rep
Drives: E92 m3 silver stone 2

What do people like clunks? Ha I like tire screech and engine screaming but not unpredictable clunks and clattering. I mean I love my car but the light flywheel chatter at idle and clunking make me have to answer more questions to passengers than I would want to. Every time some asks what's that noise or did you break something.
Appreciate 0