BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

05-05-2011, 07:37 PM   #23
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

I'll take the dissenting view and say don't do it.

Pros - 12 grand extra per year, more opportunity for advancement, and 'awesome perks'

Cons - long commute and horrible hours.

The cons will make you hate your job which pretty much means you probably won't be interested in advancing through the organization. Also, 12,000 per year extra is nothing and I've been working for more than a decade and still haven't seen any perks good enough to make me stick with a job I hate.

My advice, stick with the easy job for a while. Half ass it while you find something closer with less strenuous hours than the current offer.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #24
boymonkey
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpratt34 View Post
It is the same title I've had in the past, but with a much better company. My current employer has really gone downhill as of late, and the flattening of the organization has left most of us with titles that don't reflect what we do, and therefore don't look good on resumes. The position, while similar as previous roles, would be very visible with this company. The company is highly respected, and I've actually been a customer of theirs for years.
This alone confirms that you should be changing employer. I'd take the new job to get away from a sinking ship and boost your resume. If you end up not liking the commute you could always look for another job after, with extra experience gained. Always better to leave a company that's in bad shape before they lay you off.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #25
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

part of advancing and moving up is being as comfortable as possible with uncomfortable and stressful situations...

perks be damned... if this will change your longterm career outlook for the better... there isn't much to consider esp if you don't have to relocate family etc...
      05-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #26
AjzRide
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1965 Mustang 351w

Everyone's situation is different, I can't say for sure how it will be for you. But my first job was a 50 minute commute and I worked 9 hours every day. For five years I didn't realize how miserable I was until I got fired. Best thing to ever happen to me. Now I have a 10 minute commute and an 8 hour day, I would never go back.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 08:15 AM   #27
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjzRide View Post
Everyone's situation is different, I can't say for sure how it will be for you. But my first job was a 50 minute commute and I worked 9 hours every day. For five years I didn't realize how miserable I was until I got fired. Best thing to ever happen to me. Now I have a 10 minute commute and an 8 hour day, I would never go back.

this....commutes fucking suck
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #28
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

It depends on what else is available. If you work in a specialized role and might not have many other opportunities, then it might be a good choice to go. However, if you work in a non-specialized field (finance, HR, IT), etc. then I'd stick it out where you are and see if you can find another opportunity without the drawbacks.

It sounds like you'll be leaving a position you're currently indifferent about for a position that you might actually come to hate after a while (long commutes and long stressful hours make this more probable than you might think). There's a big difference. You can suck it up and bear the former for a while. The latter tends to make everything in your life miserable.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #29
pc4400
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

PRO: more money
PRO: A reputable company
CON: Long commute

Other notes
1. I'd jump on it since you nor the job is deep in the city. Commuting from outer burns to inner burbs is acceptable to me personally.

2. Would you have a better chance to jump to a better job due to this noew job being at a more reputable company? If so, I'd stick it out for a year or two.

3. Get yourself a sportbike and cut that commute time and gas expenses down (just a wacky thought).

4. Regarding hours, if you think your life style can handle the hours. If not, then it won't work.

my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 12:11 AM   #30
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
I did the samething exactly one year ago.
One of the biggest firm and raise but my commute changed from 30min of bus ride to 40miles each way by car.
I liked how I could spend my personal time in the beginning driving 1+ hour every morning and night but...here am I one year later, thinking about changing.
Commute is just hell, plus I racked up so many miles during last year and of course gas price doesn't help either.
I dream about living 5 min away from work every night.
Appreciate 0