BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-28-2011, 11:00 PM   #45
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

i love my m3... hard top, power, handling, v8 growl

but to be completely honest, if i wanted a sports sports car, I'd have gotten a Cayman or spent more $ and gotten a 911

Now that's a sports car.

I miss my Posrches every time I go to the canyons.... but then I don't miss them the other 90% of the time when I'm going around town.

I think I'll buy a used Cayman... or a used Lotus.

hmmmm
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 08:19 AM   #46
RevFreak14
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRideTheWhip View Post
People like him are also the reason the current M3 is 3700 + pounds and it's people like him that have killed off true M cars. I will NOT be buying the next gen M3 for that exact reason. It's going to be wwwaayy too heavy(Already a porker.) New Gen 911 or Cayman/S hopefully.

People can complain about how there is no heated steering wheel, and how the trunk doesn't open by itself, and how the doors won't close by themselves, and how people want an M Sports car with X Drive.

Next thing you know, people want it to be the next S class. They expect it to stop and go in traffic by itself also. It's "suppose" to be a freaking sports car. Not a car your driver takes you around in.
I'm actually going to disagree with you. You're on the right track when you say you want a true sports car and your next car will be a Porsche. IMHO the M3 hasn't been a TRUE sports car for a long time. The E46 ( which if I'm honest, I liked better than the E92 ), was fairly heavy for it's time, and had navigation and other luxuries that made it heavier than it needed to be. The M3 ( again IMHO ) is a great car because of it's versatility to be a very good DD and a very good sports car. There are better DD, and certainly better sports cars, but none that do both as far as I'm concerned. Again if you want a TRUE sports car, I imagine the GT3 or a Cayman S would be much more to your liking. And judging by how BMW continues to add "unnecessary luxuries" to all their M cars, I imagine BMW also disagrees with your assessment. Perhaps YOU, bought the wrong car.
99 Lexus GS400 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #47
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
BMW adds these unnecessary luxuries because it's people like you who want automatic trunk openers and automatic trunk closers and seat massage you. You ask for it., and for it to stop in traffic automatically that have killed the M brand. At least the e46 weighted in at less then 3400 freaking pounds. The M3 was key word here, "suppose" to be a sports car. Your breed has killed it off. An unnecessary luxury would something like the automatic trunk opener that you want. Stop contradicting yourself. The M3 is "suppose" to be a DRIVERS car. Not a car you're driven in. If you want luxury jump to a 5 series.

I read the forums a lot, and of all the posters I can't figure you out. You seem to bash the hell out of the M3 all day long. Yet, for some odd reason you are going to end up getting another one...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #48
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
3400lbs back in 2000 was A LOT of weight. Just saying.
      03-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #49
RevFreak14
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I love the M3(believe it or not). Handles very well in it's class for a tub of lard. The truth is, I'm just sad to see the last of the M cars die like this because someone can't get out of their own way to open a trunk. Like I said, the M3 is already a porker as is, and with the technology coming to the F3x M3, I expect it to surpass 4200. I'll take my 997 Turbo S or 991. thank you very much. The M3's focus is suppose to be that it's a drivers car, driver oriented. All this tech has made it into a car that people want to be driven in. Sad, really.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I love my E92 and I loved my E46 even more. But I bought both of them to use as my DD, and this E92 especially as a GT car because I have to hit the highway a lot. And because of that I want some of the luxuries that make the M3 a "porker." Could've easily gotten a Carrera S, but prefered the M3 and I am very happy with my choice.
99 Lexus GS400 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 04:47 PM   #50
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevFreak14 View Post
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I love my E92 and I loved my E46 even more. But I bought both of them to use as my DD, and this E92 especially as a GT car because I have to hit the highway a lot. And because of that I want some of the luxuries that make the M3 a "porker." Could've easily gotten a Carrera S, but prefered the M3 and I am very happy with my choice.
We just wish BMW offered both ways... The one with all the tech and comfort items just like now, and a stripper one (without asking 90k for it).
      03-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #51
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
We just wish BMW offered both ways... The one with all the tech and comfort items just like now, and a stripper one (without asking 90k for it).
You mean a GTS/CLS?
I don't know why they couldn't bring over a version witoh the coilovers, Brembo's, lighter weight but the same engine so there's no federalization needed, though that's just an excuse too since Porsche can do it with all the niche cars they sell with different engines.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 06:14 PM   #52
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
You mean a GTS/CLS?
I don't know why they couldn't bring over a version witoh the coilovers, Brembo's, lighter weight but the same engine so there's no federalization needed, though that's just an excuse too since Porsche can do it with all the niche cars they sell with different engines.

Yes and no. I don't want anything special, it can have S65. I'm not asking for special thin glass, more carbonfiber or anything.

All I'm saying is put fully manual seats (even the manual seats now have power lumbar support ), reduce noise insulation, don't offer nav, don't put pre wiring for everything, don't put 10 speakers etc... Just adjust the suspension for the reduced weight. And please don't change 90k for lack of stuff..
      03-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #53
Seven7
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

wow really? are you seriously complaining about this?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #54
spacegreym3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I am sure this will be addressed in the next M3
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #55
shendrick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3, 05 e46 zhp, 07 X3

All you need is bungee cord from trunk to sharks fin. No real aero drag or weight issue. Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 12:32 AM   #56
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Bimmer View Post
Upcoming 2012 911 does have a promising interior. Looks more upscale than the current.

Any word if the new 911 will gain weight with this move?
yup yup. ghost got it right. some speculate that it will lose 150lbs. expect 400-420hp for the s trim.

im just not a fan of all the buttons on the current iteration. i get confused trying to figure out wtf is going on.

i cant wait either.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 12:37 AM   #57
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I love the M3(believe it or not). Handles very well in it's class for a tub of lard. The truth is, I'm just sad to see the last of the M cars die like this because someone can't get out of their own way to open a trunk. Like I said, the M3 is already a porker as is, and with the technology coming to the F3x M3, I expect it to surpass 4200. I'll take my 997 Turbo S or 991. thank you very much. The M3's focus is suppose to be that it's a drivers car, driver oriented. All this tech has made it into a car that people want to be driven in. Sad, really.
so true. the m3 is a great car...in its class. its a great accomplishment. but its weird statements by ppl who claim that the m3 can out handle a 911 that just dont make any sense. thats when ppl have to set the record straight. not saying that the m3 is a bad car or anything. its just that it sits below the 911. thats it.

also, many ppl are rooting for the m3, but bmw doesnt care and just waters down the brand for a quick buck. i hope it back fires so that we can kick the bean counters out of the drivers seat.

iono, once you lose street cred, its hard to regain.

great example:
aston martin - rep = SH*T reliability. its gonna take a long time before that rep is changed even though the vantage is the most reliable car that they have built ever. (and it isnt even that reliable too....)

Last edited by crackberry; 03-31-2011 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 12:38 AM   #58
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BMW adds these unnecessary luxuries because it's people like you who want automatic trunk openers and automatic trunk closers and seats that massage you. You ask for it. You also ask for it it to stop in traffic automatically that have killed the M brand. At least the e46 weighted in at less then 3400 freaking pounds. The M3 was key word here, "suppose" to be a sports car. Your breed has killed it off. An unnecessary luxury would something like the automatic trunk opener that you want. Stop contradicting yourself. The M3 is "suppose" to be a DRIVERS car. Not a car you're driven in. If you want luxury jump to a 5 series.
and adaptive cruise control....stuff like taht is just STUPID on a m3 or 911!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 03:44 AM   #59
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: R8 - Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgx View Post
blahblahblah
and more blah balh blah wine cry.

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
m3e46freak@yahoo.comfor all euro parts!!
ebay/craigslist verified/ m3post/e46fanantics/m3forum/zpost/bimmerforum
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 09:01 AM   #60
RevFreak14
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donovan View Post
and more blah balh blah wine cry.

Definitely didn't think I'd get this much heat for this. I must be getting old.
99 Lexus GS400 - Gone
Appreciate 0