BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #45
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemetry View Post
It's interesting how the OP asks what appears to be a simple question (that know one but himself can answer since it's VERY subjective), and the thread turns into a raging battle of how slow one of the top 1% of all production cars ever made is.

Get a life people!!

To the OP... I think if you adjust your driving style for the differant drivetrain of the M3, I think you'll be fine. You just need to be a little pickier about what gear you're in.
Eat that Swanson! LOL!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #46
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityOfAngels View Post
Yah the E55 is supercharged. I want a NA engine while I can still get one so I'm not interested in adding FI to the M3
m3 blows away your car in a straight line
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #47
///Machine
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 / '11 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack
Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post

Weird... I drove an '82 Renault R5 around town when I was 18 without any problems. You guys crack me up....
I think we should take up a collection for driving lessons. Most of these people would die driving a small displacement engine around Sao Paulo. Nothing like seeing people roll down a hill backwards because they can't get started after having to stop.

"garbage" - LOL. People are delusional. I LOVE driving my car around town...shifting is fun.
Why would you mention the hills of SP? A fellow Brazilian or have you seen a few roll-down-the-hill-backwards over there?
My 2 cent is the M3 is arguably the best all around car in production. IMO that means it will perform very well on streets, roads and tracks. It does city just great, producing better-than-symphony engine sound. It doesn't give you a whiplash at every stop light, but, on demand, she will rev like a mofo, scream like a b**ch and put a very large grin in your face. Wait, maybe that was my wife....no, it was the M3!
      05-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #48
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
And I mentioned my Z06 as an example of why I feel the M3 feels gutless until you wind it out. I realize that the gearing of the DCT make the M3 feel quicker, but you cant discount the lack of torque just doing some regular, everyday driving. Compared to the torque in my Z06 and the OP E55, the M3 is gutless. period.
Dct doesn't just make it FEEL faster it makes the car significantly faster throughout the entire power band. Get off your high horse, your z06 ain't all that, after all the entire car is made from plastic, cardboard, and Elmer's glue. Loł
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #49
dustman
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 Ferrari 458 Italia

I used to drive 90min one way commute thru Malibu/Kanan down PCH, hence the M3's and GTR. No longer have that commute (finally!) and thinking the M3 is not the right car for me anymore, unless I get the 625charger kit.
I would rather have a bunch of torque and a more compliant (softer) ride than the M3.
So my answer to you is that it depends on where you will drive the most, and even then synch up with a fellow M3 owner and do some driving and see if you can live w/o the torque. IMO, the M3 in DCT form is so snappy and responsive on the throttle/gear changes that you are almost fooled into thinking it's torque....it's that damn good.
Less weight, and/or 75-100 more torque and lose the Comp Pkg setup (too stiff around my part of town) and it's a world class car.
Looking up link now for ESS 625....
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #50
CityOfAngels
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: W211 E55 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
m3 blows away your car in a straight line
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 01:22 AM   #51
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJA///M3 View Post
Why would you mention the hills of SP? A fellow Brazilian or have you seen a few roll-down-the-hill-backwards over there?
My 2 cent is the M3 is arguably the best all around car in production. IMO that means it will perform very well on streets, roads and tracks. It does city just great, producing better-than-symphony engine sound. It doesn't give you a whiplash at every stop light, but, on demand, she will rev like a mofo, scream like a b**ch and put a very large grin in your face. Wait, maybe that was my wife....no, it was the M3!
Just been there and seen it first hand. Pittsburgh has bad hills also. These people that think an M3 sucks in the city would probably have a heart attack driving a littler 1 liter. Too funny.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 10:43 PM   #52
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman View Post
IMO, the M3 in DCT form is so snappy and responsive on the throttle/gear changes that you are almost fooled into thinking it's torque....it's that damn good.
I am not sure you actually understand that in reality, that's actually torque. Real torque.

Peak torque at the crank is a useless number without knowing the gearing, curve, and rev range. The DCT will accelerate faster simply because it has more gears, swaps them faster and so will manage to put more torque at the wheels more of the time. It's pretty basic math and physics.

OP, I bet although the E55 is faster in a straight line, the m3 driven well will hang in there remarkably well. The point being that you do have to pay attention to what gear you are in the M3, whereas you can adopt a very lazy driving style in the Benz.

The M3 is a more engaging car partly because it requires - and rewards - this level of driver interaction. If you fear this, then there's no point in getting an M3, it will be a miserable experience. If you want it on the other hand, then you will love the M and never look back.

YMMV.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 10:55 PM   #53
dustman
Private
Rep

I do understand...but you should know the M3 is very low on real torque vs the OP's noted AMG, hence the relative comparison.
There's no sub for torque, but the DCT does a dang nice job of making you FEEL like there is more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I am not sure you actually understand that in reality, that's actually torque. Real torque.

Peak torque at the crank is a useless number without knowing the gearing, curve, and rev range. The DCT will accelerate faster simply because it has more gears, swaps them faster and so will manage to put more torque at the wheels more of the time. It's pretty basic math and physics.

OP, I bet although the E55 is faster in a straight line, the m3 driven well will hang in there remarkably well. The point being that you do have to pay attention to what gear you are in the M3, whereas you can adopt a very lazy driving style in the Benz.

The M3 is a more engaging car partly because it requires - and rewards - this level of driver interaction. If you fear this, then there's no point in getting an M3, it will be a miserable experience. If you want it on the other hand, then you will love the M and never look back.

YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #54
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman View Post
I do understand...but you should know the M3 is very low on real torque vs the OP's noted AMG, hence the relative comparison.
There's no sub for torque, but the DCT does a dang nice job of making you FEEL like there is more.
I think you completely missed my point. Torque at the crank means absolutely nothing, torque at the wheels is everything, so that's where gearing comes into play.

There is a thread sticky at the top that perhaps explains it a little bit better, I urge you to read it.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #55
dustman
Private
Rep

No worries, I got it. Just correcting the intent from the OP and your takeaway of my comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I think you completely missed my point. Torque at the crank means absolutely nothing, torque at the wheels is everything, so that's where gearing comes into play.

There is a thread sticky at the top that perhaps explains it a little bit better, I urge you to read it.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #56
X2Board
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: I'm back, bitches! '13 E92 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityOfAngels View Post
What up to all the MBWorld folks on this board!
Guilty, but I have car A.D.D. so I'm on almost every car forum... for a while.

Make the switch, you will get to used to the lower torque. I went from the E55 to an E90 335i and I was planning on keeping that for at least 2 years, but then I test drove an M3 and after the first run to redline in 3rd, it was hook, line and sinker.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #57
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

OP - it says in your post that you are interested in a race car feel in your post - well a motorsport inspired V8 revving to 8400rpm is about as good as it gets, throw in the perfect balance and handling and the M3 fits the bill perfectly. As for all the posts about 'city driving' - i just don't get it.......the city is a place i drive through to get to the real roads where i can enjoy a car to the full. Who cares about driving through the city
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #58
phusion974
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep
Drives: OE Tuned C63

Even though the E55 has massive amounts of torque, The M3 will compensate with its balance and handling.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 12:00 AM   #59
Groundhog
Private
Rep
Drives: R-compounded

Quote:
Originally Posted by phusion974 View Post
Even though the E55 has massive amounts of torque, The M3 will compensate with its balance and handling.
^^ agree.

e55 will depreciate much faster.

Steering feels numb. Lot's of torque, little excitement, dosen't like turns.

I had an e55 and will never own another Merc again. very expensive to own once the warrantee period is over. Things in the car seemed to break for no reason.

M3 has more soul imho.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 01:30 AM   #60
Giggs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8

OP, I feel like your original question was already answered. So, in addition to your question here is why you buy the M3:

1. Awesome BMW M community & great events (meets, rallys, etc).. IMO best out there for enthusiasts. I've made some really good buddies through owning this car and being on these forums
2. You don't buy this car for the chicks. Will you get chicks in this car? Sure. You will actually get more looks/thumbs up from dudes than chicks. If you're looking to land chicks, its all about your attitude and your game, not about what car you drive. Most girls can't tell the difference between an M, 328, 535, C63, VW, Ford, blah blah blah and a rocket ship. They do however know what a Prius is lol
3. Fun. This car is all around fun to drive. Period.

If you're looking for a car with "torque", which in my opinion means one that is overpowered and will eventually cause you to spin out and wind up pinned against a car on the opposite side of the road if you're not careful, then get a z06, GT-R, Mustang GT, etc etc (no offense to those who own those cars, I think they're all badass). Anyway, good luck and interested to see which direction you go!
Appreciate 0