BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

10-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
LightWerkz
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Macht Schnell Test Pipes - Review

Got these from EAS last week and had a chance to install them right away. I know there are many options on the market these days. Originally I was interested in the Supersprint slip on test pipes, but I felt the price was a bit extreme costing as much as double than other options. Evolve had just came out with a set after I had ordered the MS, and Im sure they are great but I got a bit impatient waiting for them to release them after originally having fitment issues. In the end I went with EAS/Macht Schnell simply because they have always provided prompt service, shipping, and technical support when needed. I always prefer to do business with vendors I trust fully. I know Turner, Evolve, etc is very trust worthy as well, so in the end of the day choose a test pipe from a vendor you like dealing with and call it day. All of them provide you with excellent gains for the price.

Originally when I got my car last year, I had the ACM Muffler modification done. At first I loved it but over time I felt there was a bit too much drone at highway speeds. I traded with another local forum member, and went with the Dinan muffler. Originally I thought the Dinan was perfect, but then I wanted louder, something in between. I know the test pipes would wake it up, but after considering all the options, I have my mind set on the Evolve valvetronic exhaust system, so the Dinan is off and now I am all stock with the test pipes.

When I started the car the first time after the test pipes, it sounded stock. Cruising around town, and at normal speeds (low rpms and not at wide open throttle) the car still sounds stock. When you step on it, its sounds alot more vicious. Its got a new tone to it. Its more raspy for sure, but I truly think that if the car came stock like this, it would be very acceptable in terms of sound levels and sound quality.

I do not have any tune currently, waiting on the Evolve file to come back to me at the moment. I purposely decided to do them in stages to give an accurate review. I now put on 200 miles since the test pipe install and power difference is certainly noticeable, especially in the higher rpm's where it now screams with its new tone. At highway speeds, also very mild tone. You pretty much feel like you are driving a stock car unless you give it gas to pass another car. Finally, the smell is barely noticeable. I have had many catless setups on previous cars and can't say I like the idea on my daily driver. Since the secondary cats are still installed, that helps keep the smell down. Overall I am pleased with this modification. The power-to-price ratio simply cannot be beaten.

Installation took just about 2 hours, and that included changing out my muffler. Overall it was as easy as it sounded: simply cut out the cats and slip these new pipes on. Everything lined up really well with the header connection, and the connection to the midpipe was also on point. The pipes seem to get really close to the body of the car on the drivers side, but I think thats how it was originally. When I first bolted down the clamps, I didnt tighten the drivers side enough, and had a small leak. I didnt want to over tighten anything as I have had bad luck snapping bolts in the past. I lifted the car again, and tightened down the bolts really well on the clamps, and there are no leaks to be found. The 02 sensors clear everything, a bit tight, but they do with ease.

Hope you enjoyed the review and let me know if you have any questions. I snapped cell phone pics originally, but then had a chance to take some with my camera.

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
Mmmdreamer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3 Jet Black

Yo yo! Yeah, with the tune the car feels even better. I'm running same setup on my e90 w/ dinan n test pipes...I wasn't that happy with just dinan axle back, definitely too quiet. It's perfect now...and it's crazy that from inside, windows up, even on throttle it's not that loud...but from outside, it's a screamer =)
[08 e90 M3. Jet Black/Black. Dinan Rear Exhaust. ACM Test Pipes. ESS Tune. Eibach Pro-Kit + e36 bumpstops. 18x10 Apex Arc-8. AA Air Filter. RPI Scoops. CREE Angel Eyes. OEM Blacklines. Black Reflectors. Gloss Black Grills. Matte Black Gills. ZCP Shift Knob]
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Jaguar F-Type S AWD

Installing macht schnell test pipes and BPM dev tune stage 2 on Saturday. Can't wait!
2017 Porsche Macan Turbo
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
coogs08
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

I put on the MS test pipes earlier this year and I love them. I had a dyno done before (car was stock besides a drop-in filter). I need to do another dyno to see how much power was actually gained.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
W Cole
Major
Rep

Great review. I just installed mine this last weekend.

-How did you know you had an exhaust leak? I was planning on driving for a couple hundred miles and then looking underneath for any exhaust soot around the clamps.

-If the exhaust is sitting higher on one side maybe you tightened the test pipe too high up on the headers? I made this mistake the first time and had to loosen and adjust. Also it was difficult to get everything aligned since the test pipe can twist in the clamps - it didn't seem like there was one "right" position. Maybe if you twist the pipes a bit there will be more clearance?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
LightWerkz
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmdreamer View Post
Yo yo! Yeah, with the tune the car feels even better. I'm running same setup on my e90 w/ dinan n test pipes...I wasn't that happy with just dinan axle back, definitely too quiet. It's perfect now...and it's crazy that from inside, windows up, even on throttle it's not that loud...but from outside, it's a screamer =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEEM3R View Post
Installing macht schnell test pipes and BPM dev tune stage 2 on Saturday. Can't wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogs08 View Post
I put on the MS test pipes earlier this year and I love them. I had a dyno done before (car was stock besides a drop-in filter). I need to do another dyno to see how much power was actually gained.
Would love to hear about the gain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Cole View Post
Great review. I just installed mine this last weekend.

-How did you know you had an exhaust leak? I was planning on driving for a couple hundred miles and then looking underneath for any exhaust soot around the clamps.

-If the exhaust is sitting higher on one side maybe you tightened the test pipe too high up on the headers? I made this mistake the first time and had to loosen and adjust. Also it was difficult to get everything aligned since the test pipe can twist in the clamps - it didn't seem like there was one "right" position. Maybe if you twist the pipes a bit there will be more clearance?
I drove hard right after the test pipes and brought it home after about 100 miles. The next day when I started it up, it was definitely sounding like a rattling or a vibration. I thought maybe thats just how the new "cold start" is. I drove around and after it warmed up it was fine. No rattles or any vibrations. It kept doing it on cold starts, but I threw it up on the lift just to make sure.

I had some exhaust soot on the drivers side connection by the clamp so I knew I had a small leak. What I probably was hearing was the leak on the cold start, and then when things warmed up, I just didnt notice it.

I torqued it down really hard with a larger ratchet and its definitely perfect now.

I still am wondering about the passenger side sitting lower overall, its possible I needed to twist it more. I did try doing that already though. Overall it doesnt seem to pose any issue for me as of right now.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWerkz View Post
I drove hard right after the test pipes and brought it home after about 100 miles. The next day when I started it up, it was definitely sounding like a rattling or a vibration. I thought maybe thats just how the new "cold start" is. I drove around and after it warmed up it was fine. No rattles or any vibrations. It kept doing it on cold starts, but I threw it up on the lift just to make sure.

I had some exhaust soot on the drivers side connection by the clamp so I knew I had a small leak. What I probably was hearing was the leak on the cold start, and then when things warmed up, I just didnt notice it.

I torqued it down really hard with a larger ratchet and its definitely perfect now.

I still am wondering about the passenger side sitting lower overall, its possible I needed to twist it more. I did try doing that already though. Overall it doesnt seem to pose any issue for me as of right now.

Hm, I have a weird rattle / grinding noise (hard to explain) as my car is warming up, and then it disappears. It is only at the lower RPMs (well that I can hear). Wonder if it could be a leak or if it is transmission related (sounds are coming directly below the shifter). Might need to throw it back up in the air and double check! Thanks for the explanation!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Great review and photo documentation!

We need some vids to show off that shiny paint
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
AW750Li
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3,335,750Li,X5,X3

Installed my test pipes yesterday, only complaint is the smell i get that comes through the heat when the car is not moving, can anybody point me in the right direction?
      10-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
LightWerkz
Banned
Rep

Sounds like an exhaust leak. Put it back up in the air and check the connections.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #11
W Cole
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW750Li View Post
Installed my test pipes yesterday, only complaint is the smell i get that comes through the heat when the car is not moving, can anybody point me in the right direction?
+1 exhaust leak. It can be very dangerous so do not drive the car until you fix it.

Did you replace the crush washer material around the headers when you put on the new pipes?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #12
AW750Li
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Cole View Post
+1 exhaust leak. It can be very dangerous so do not drive the car until you fix it.

Did you replace the crush washer material around the headers when you put on the new pipes?
No, i've heard a couple of people complain of the smell though. How can i check to see if i have an exhaust leak? The smell only happens when the car is idle, but on the highway it goes away

How can i diagnose if there is an exhaust leak?

Last edited by AW750Li; 10-23-2013 at 06:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #13
AW750Li
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just looked under my car and there's some sort of black liquid that dried up onto the bottom of the clamps. I took pics and will have them up shortly
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #14
AW750Li
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The 1st pic is the drivers side, the last 2 are passenger side
      10-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #15
LightWerkz
Banned
Rep

Which test pipe is that? I ask because its not the same clamp that came with the MS. If you see that black residue it indicates exhaust fumes/gases/vapor are getting out.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #16
AW750Li
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWerkz View Post
Which test pipe is that? I ask because its not the same clamp that came with the MS. If you see that black residue it indicates exhaust fumes/gases/vapor are getting out.
Turner Motorsport, yeah thats what I assumed, im gonna get them welded in tomorrow. Hopefully that gets rid of the smell
      10-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #17
0_to_60
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

what major difference did you feel with test pipes before tune?
Appreciate 0