BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Body Shop Liability

Another one of these threads...I know.

Anyways here's the scenario. Took my car in to get an estimate on work done, long story short, got an estimate and a later date to do the work. Couldn't pick up the car during the day, so had to wait until the night (they knew this).
The car was parked in an area such that there was no way another car could have hit it. However when we got there, there was a big grease mark on the rear quarter panel, and some gouges/deep scrapes by the wheel wells (same location as grease). Nothing TOO ridiculous, but I'm sure it'll add up to several hundred dollars of repairs.

Called the shop immediately and the guy picked up, he *claims* there was nothing there when he parked it there. The only loose end he claimed was a tow truck dropped off a car during the night. The tow truck driver and apparently another guy claim the damage wasn't done by them. So I consider this to be largely irrelevant. In the end, there was damage done to the car before we picked it up, thus from my perspective the shop is liable as it was still in 'their possession'. The damage was a big amount of grease, and some gouges. The grease alone is indicative enough of the shop being the source of the problem. But they're fighting that.

Shop is liable is it not? There will already be a confrontation later today when I get off work, which could evolve into a small claims court case...if I feel I have a leg to stand on. I'd love to have an alternative route, the unfortunate part is a dollar hasn't been paid yet.
Mainly looking for people with ACTUAL experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Ouch good luck. Your best best would be to have them fix it for free on top of whatever quote they already gave you as a gesture of good faith.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Ouch good luck. Your best best would be to have them fix it for free on top of whatever quote they already gave you as a gesture of good faith.
that's the hope and the fight, I figure it can't cost them personally more than a few bucks, and they'd lose my business as well as a butchering on the internet.

(found these guys on angieslist with a wicked high rating, so a negative would hurt them)
Appreciate 0