BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

06-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

OEM rotor thickness (when new)

Does anyone know what the thickness of the OEM rotors are when new? Just trying to compare the measurement I took to what they were new. I measured 29.4mm on the fronts which have 55k miles on them. I've read that new rotors are 30mm thick and the minimum thickness etched on the rotor is 28.4mm. Seems like I have a lot of life in them still so I won't have to replace them anytime soon.

I couldn't measure the rears because the dust shield is in the way so I'd have to take the rotor off to measure it. I'm guessing it would be safe to assume that the wear on the rears should be similar to the fronts.

My car is due for a brake fluid flush so I'm just checking to see what else needs replacement so I can do it all at once. CBS says pads are not due for another 14k miles but I might just order them now and wait until the time comes to actually replace them.

Since this is a street only car, I'm planning to either go with OEM fluid, Motul RBF 600 or Motul DOT 5.1. Pads will probably be Stoptech Street Performance.
      06-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
r53s65e90
United_States
Rep
Drives: r53 s65e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Does anyone know what the thickness of the OEM rotors are when new? Just trying to compare the measurement I took to what they were new. I measured 29.4mm on the fronts which have 55k miles on them. I've read that new rotors are 30mm thick and the minimum thickness etched on the rotor is 28.4mm. Seems like I have a lot of life in them still so I won't have to replace them anytime soon.

I couldn't measure the rears because the dust shield is in the way so I'd have to take the rotor off to measure it. I'm guessing it would be safe to assume that the wear on the rears should be similar to the fronts.

My car is due for a brake fluid flush so I'm just checking to see what else needs replacement so I can do it all at once. CBS says pads are not due for another 14k miles but I might just order them now and wait until the time comes to actually replace them.

Since this is a street only car, I'm planning to either go with OEM fluid, Motul RBF 600 or Motul DOT 5.1. Pads will probably be Stoptech Street Performance.
Rotors are 30mm originally. I wouldn't even worry about the rears until they present a clearly visible lip.

You only need break fluid. OEM or ATE gold is more than enough for the street. No reason to use racing fluid. For street pads you are correct. Stoptech Street Performance: Cheaper than OEM and better IMO
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by r53s65e90 View Post
Rotors are 30mm originally. I wouldn't even worry about the rears until they present a clearly visible lip.
Does it seem odd the they've only worn 0.6mm in 55k miles? Regarding the fluid, it will depend on what is more convenient. I will need to order the pads so the fluid will be bought from the same place. Most vendors don't sell the OEM fluid so I'll just get whatever they have. I'm a bit worried about running ATE since you hear so many negative reviews.
      06-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
Longbow64
_______
Rep
Drives: 15 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport

Mine are about the same at 55k. I'm about to do Stoptech SS lines and Street Performance pads. I'll wait a little longer on the rotors.