BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

01-08-2013, 01:24 AM   #111
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munit View Post
exactly! I always have preached underdrive pulley's no longer are worth it. The A/C and alternator are already disengaged under large throttle which means the only thing that is underdriven is power-steering and engine cooling. The two things I would never want to have heat up more than normal.
I am pretty sure M3s in the EU and in other locales got this under the "Efficient Dynamics" feature. At the same time I am pretty sure US cars did not get this (perhaps early US M3s did not and later ones did).

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Cole View Post
The chart above is definitely incorrect in regards to the macht schnell pulleys. I just installed them this past week and the crank pulley is smaller on both the power steering and alternator sides therefore the A/C has to be underdriven. The power steering pump pulley is definitely a different size than OEM so the power steering is being underdriven by a different amount than the A/C, but none the less both are underdriven.
Good catch. Extracting the required information to complete this small project seems to be next to impossible.

W Cole and ANYONE ELSE: Feel free to download, edit, save (automatically saved) and post a screen snapshot of the update.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:08 AM   #112
Munit
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I am pretty sure M3s in the EU and in other locales got this under the "Efficient Dynamics" feature. At the same time I am pretty sure US cars did not get this (perhaps early US M3s did not and later ones did).

Good catch. Extracting the required information to complete this small project seems to be next to impossible.

W Cole and ANYONE ELSE: Feel free to download, edit, save (automatically saved) and post a screen snapshot of the update.
All years of the US m3's had "brake regeneration " thing with the alternator disconnecting during acceleration. All A/C systems in bmw's and most late model cars have an A/C clutch that disengages under heavy throttle.

So with a pulley the a/c gets underdrive when cruising and at wot it does not matter as its not engaged. Then when off the pedal the altnerator you really do not want to get underdrive as that is when its charging.

Not saying there is not power to be had but it is from underdriving 2 things only-power steering and engine coolant-just not the 2 things I really want to have underdrive personally, especially living in high heat of the desert.

My point is cars awhile back gained much more from a pulley as parasitic losses were much more significant when you had the a/c engaged during WOT, alternator running at all times and heavier components.

If the m3 didn't have the water pump and went electric, it essentially would only be driving the power steering which we all know is going electric.

We are not far off from having maybe 1 or 2 things drive by a belt, or perhaps nothing at all in a few years with things going electric.

This is how the m3 should have gone about increasing performance and mileage in the f30. Take the s65, direct inject it and up the CR to boot. Upgrade to latest vanos tech and then worked on getting rid of the lat parasitic losses with an electric water pump, electric steering etc. Could have been an easy 450 hp reworked, way more efficient, and with a lighter body would have been a perfect car
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 06:40 AM   #113
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

How many of those technical advances did Audi use on its current 4.2L?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #114
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
All years of the US m3's had "brake regeneration " thing with the alternator disconnecting during acceleration. All A/C systems in bmw's and most late model cars have an A/C clutch that disengages under heavy throttle.

So with a pulley the a/c gets underdrive when cruising and at wot it does not matter as its not engaged. Then when off the pedal the altnerator you really do not want to get underdrive as that is when its charging.

Not saying there is not power to be had but it is from underdriving 2 things only-power steering and engine coolant-just not the 2 things I really want to have underdrive personally, especially living in high heat of the desert.

My point is cars awhile back gained much more from a pulley as parasitic losses were much more significant when you had the a/c engaged during WOT, alternator running at all times and heavier components.

If the m3 didn't have the water pump and went electric, it essentially would only be driving the power steering which we all know is going electric.

We are not far off from having maybe 1 or 2 things drive by a belt, or perhaps nothing at all in a few years with things going electric.

This is how the m3 should have gone about increasing performance and mileage in the f30. Take the s65, direct inject it and up the CR to boot. Upgrade to latest vanos tech and then worked on getting rid of the lat parasitic losses with an electric water pump, electric steering etc. Could have been an easy 450 hp reworked, way more efficient, and with a lighter body would have been a perfect car
Why do all of the pulleys replace the crank pulley then? We should have replacement water pump and power steering pulleys to only under drive these systems.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #115
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here are a few discussions on this topic (there are more).

Link 1.
Here is another link.
One more with almost direct evidence.
Here is a source also claiming no BER in the US.

In short, after reviewing all of the posts here and on other sites I would say that all NA model years of the M3 having BOTH features (AC and Alternator disengaging at high or WOT) is very debatable. It would be great to put this one to bed.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #116
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

At the M-school, the instructors were very clear that it would be ok running A/C on the M3s (not allowed to run w/ windows down), as > 80% of WOT results in AC disengaging, which they asserted really wouldn't affect lap times in the competitive timing.

Quote:
Here are a few discussions on this topic (there are more).

Link 1.
Here is another link.
One more with almost direct evidence.
Here is a source also claiming no BER in the US.

In short, after reviewing all of the posts here and on other sites I would say that all NA model years of the M3 having BOTH features (AC and Alternator disengaging at high or WOT) is very debatable. It would be great to put this one to bed.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 11:20 PM   #117
Munit
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

http://green.autoblog.com/2007/04/08...ative-braking/

http://green.autoblog.com/2007/03/27...-regeneration/
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #118
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

A feature present on a European or other country edition of the car is in no way a guarantee that said feature also exists on the NA version of the car.

Either way... BUMP for more pulley measurements. Sure would be nice to make an informed and OBJECTIVE purchase on a pulley.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #119
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
I received my Dinan pulley today.

To my surprise, the tracks on the pulley for the two belts are of significantly different diameters. The track for the power steering and A/C belt is smaller the the one for the alternator and water pump belt.

I have the "early" kit with the single sided belt, I don't know if it has anything to do with it.

The first chance I have, I will bring it to work to get it measured. I will post back the results.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 02:49 AM   #120
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

^ Great, finally a bit more data. Get the stock and Dinan diameters both if you can. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #121
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3

To my surprise, the tracks on the pulley for the two belts are of significantly different diameters. The track for the power steering and A/C belt is smaller the the one for the alternator and water pump belt.

I have the "early" kit with the single sided belt, I don't know if it has anything to do with it.

The first chance I have, I will bring it to work to get it measured. I will post back the results.
Have fun getting the A/C belt on lol. Mine is post 2009 so not sure if yours is different but the belt is short and it totally sucks getting it on. Feel free to PM me if you run into issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 05:19 AM   #122
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq. View Post
Have fun getting the A/C belt on lol. Mine is post 2009 so not sure if yours is different but the belt is short and it totally sucks getting it on. Feel free to PM me if you run into issues.
Thanks for the offer, will definitely PM you if I have issues.

Since you have the later pulley, do the two tracks have different diameters on your pulley?

I curious to find out if it is a Dinan pulley characteristic only if it only applies to the earlier belt arrangement...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #123
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Thanks for the offer, will definitely PM you if I have issues.

Since you have the later pulley, do the two tracks have different diameters on your pulley?

I curious to find out if it is a Dinan pulley characteristic only if it only applies to the earlier belt arrangement...
I am pretty sure the tracks are different but I honestly don't remember. It think it is because the belts are different. Are there numbers on your belts? I meant to write them down before install in case I needed to replace one but I forgot to like a moron. It's probably a good idea.

Here is a link to a sort of DIY (with respect to the short belt) I posted after my install.http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=771364
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #124
Nordstat
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

I love my Dinan. Warranty is a non-issue, install was cheap at a non-BMW location, proven gains...no downside!

And to answer the next question, no problems with AC, engine cooling, hard steering feel, etc, even at a track...albeit in SoCal.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #125
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Awaiting your results! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #126
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Away on business trip. Will post as soon as I have them
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #127
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Away on business trip. Will post as soon as I have them
Cool, safe travels!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #128
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Here we go, Dinan pulley for early (one-sided) belt configuration:

Water pump and Alternator track: 3.986" (101.2mm)
Power steering and A/C track : 3.833" (97.4mm)

I will post the OEM pulley dimensions as soon as I have the pulleys swapped .
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      03-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #129
Saschi
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I am interested in AA-Pully.

Is it good value?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #130
ussoldierforhire
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saschi View Post

Is it good value?
Works like a charm
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #131
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
=ussoldierforhire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saschi View Post

Is it good value?
Works like a charm
+1. Love mine!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 12:20 AM   #132
E90335iflyer
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi Q5,BMW 335i, Porsche GT3
Location: JFK, SFO, LAX, NRT, TPE, PVG, HKG, LHR, ATH, MUC, FRA, SIN

So which pulley is the best? I am in the market for one.
Appreciate 0