BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
Hardtopz28
Rep
Drives: 08 m3

New to BMW

I recently bought my wife a m3. Well we have no idea what it can do. I'm a gear head but this car is not a mustang or a camaro. The car is a 2008 m3 with nav and paddle shifters. We picked it up for 39k and I must say its pretty badass I have a couple of question...... How do I get a extra key made. 2. How do I get sat radio 3. What mods is a must do 4. What does the button behind the shifter do the one with the up and down arrow. Thanks for any help
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtopz28 View Post
I recently bought my wife a m3. Well we have no idea what it can do. I'm a gear head but this car is not a mustang or a camaro. The car is a 2008 m3 with nav and paddle shifters. We picked it up for 39k and I must say its pretty badass I have a couple of question...... How do I get a extra key made. 2. How do I get sat radio 3. What mods is a must do 4. What does the button behind the shifter do the one with the up and down arrow. Thanks for any help
Sorry, couldn't help not replying to this thread. Why recently so many people buy M3s that have no idea what kind of car this is, this car used to be for Enthusiastic drivers, it is just sad.

As much as I hate putting this, but first

But to answer your questions,

1) it should already come with 2 keys
2) ask BMW dealership to install one for you. I think there are some after market ones as well
3) no must mods. This car is amazing as is. Most common mods are tint, oem exhaust mod or after market exhaust, rims, performance spoiler and splitter, etc.
4) again, read the manual, you can download it online as well, but it changes how agressive the computer or you can change gear. ( have 6MT myself, DCT owners correct me if i am wrong)

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
Hardtopz28
Rep

Thank you for your quick response but we are not the run of the mill people that buy a m, we are car people. I had my heart set on a Ctsv until she blind sided me with the M. By far this is the best handling car I have ever driven. The only thing that I have driven that compares is a z06. The car didn't come with a owners manual or a second key that's why I have been asking questions and I did research on the Ctsv not the M, but my wife had to have this car and every married man knows if momma ain't happy I'm not happy. I don't even know what to search for. Thanks for the answers.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Sorry if I was hard on you, welcome to the forum.
Download the manual from here : http://www.m3post.com/goodiesforyou/...%20(M-DCT).pdf

Edit: take a look at here for more info: http://www.m3post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=176

Z06 is an amazing car as well.

Cheers

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
Hardtopz28
Rep

I can totally understand where you are coming from, you are just being honest. Thanks for all the help
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
Mike van D
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3

Welcome to the world of ///M. Learn as much as y'all can about her through the manuals and what the ppl here have to offer and you will be okay. Enjoy the new ride, they're amazing!
      04-11-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
congrats, and welcome
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 01:26 AM   #8
MaudieHilli
Rep
Drives: audi

I can totally understand where you are coming from
      04-12-2012, 05:49 AM   #9
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
First of all, congratulations. My 2011 M3 was also my first M3 as well as my first BMW. I am more and more in love with this car every time I drive it. It is a simply magnificent performance machine and yet has real world usability, and has just enough harshness dialed out to make it a thoroughly comfortable street car.

It needs no mods. Obviously you can choose to mod it if thats what you want to do, but it doesn't need anything. It has no deficiencies whatsoever in factory form. Think of the M3 as a factory modded 3 series.

I guess I am also a bit curious about how you "stumbled" across the M3 if you are an American Muscle gearhead and didn't know much about the car. It is very much an enthusiast vehicle and has been renowned as one of the finest all-around cars on the road for over 25 years.

Last edited by LarThaL; 04-12-2012 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 06:02 AM   #10
Merlosso
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Results

Congrats on the car. There is a lot to learn. I recommend downloading the manuals from here or from bmwusa.com and reading through them. Then, spend some time looking through the forums here. There is a section for just about everything and stickies for common topics.

Most importantly, get out there and drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 06:25 AM   #11
luis_m3
Low Pro...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia
Sorry if I was hard on you, welcome to the forum.
Download the manual from here : http://www.m3post.com/goodiesforyou/...%20(M-DCT).pdf

Edit: take a look at here for more info: http://www.m3post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=176

Z06 is an amazing car as well.

Cheers
You were a little harsh bro... he took it very well though.
OP, congrats on the new ride! As others have already said, read the manual and enjoy the Bavarian beast.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 06:37 AM   #12
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
How do I get a extra key made. 2. How do I get sat radio 3. What mods is a must do 4. What does the button behind the shifter do the one with the up and down arrow. Thanks for any help
First, congrats on the M and welcome to the forum!

1. You'll need to order a new fob from the dealer.
2. I'll let the electronic experts answer this one.
3. Like VVG has already stated no mods are required. However, a lot of owners add OEM performance cosmetic mods (front grills, side gills, CF mirror caps, CF front splitters,...).
4. This changes the DCT setting. It changes shift speed.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 07:19 AM   #13
hieu1004
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Gray e92 M3

Congrats and welcome!

Like some have mentioned, there are no "must have" mods - it's all personal preference. I personally like my cars to have sound - so an exhaust was the first thing I got - then wheels and a couple cosmetic items.

Since you're a gear/car head - when you get some seat time, maybe you can write up a review of what you think vs. some of the other cars you've had...eg. Z06 - which is an amazing machine as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #14
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

Adding the sat radio is expensive, and even if you by the oem module and install yourself the dealer will have to code, so expect to pay 700. I bought a small XM module which is wedged in the front ashtray, and the 12 volt plugged in in the same spot. One wire goes under the dash and up the passenger well to the window antennae, the other down the tunnel to the 3.m jack in the center armrest box.

Works well, and eventually I will fully hide the wires.

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #15
Hardtopz28
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
First of all, congratulations. My 2011 M3 was also my first M3 as well as my first BMW. I am more and more in love with this car every time I drive it. It is a simply magnificent performance machine and yet has real world usability, and has just enough harshness dialed out to make it a thoroughly comfortable street car.

It needs no mods. Obviously you can choose to mod it if thats what you want to do, but it doesn't need anything. It has no deficiencies whatsoever in factory form. Think of the M3 as a factory modded 3 series.

I guess I am also a bit curious about you "stumbled" across the M3 if you are an American Muscle gearhead and didn't much about the car. It is very much an enthusiast vehicle and has been renowned as one of the finest all-around cars on the road for over 25 years.
Well like I said I was wanting a ctsv, gt500 or a 08+ Z06 something used like this for my wife. I have always known about the m3 its just the hp numbers didnt put in my top 3 choices of cars but I have alway pointed like damn thats a badass cr when I would see one , so I didnt bother to waste my time researching them. I recently purchased a new 2012 f250 4x4 crew cab and my wife has had a modded trailblazer ss for 4 yrs (13mpg) and for the last yr she has been looking for a new car. Because I bought the truck that cancelled out the ctsv because we dont need a 4 door and the coupe was too expensive.
We also test drove the 2011 gt500 and my wife didnt like cause it was kinda cheap feeling to her and it was a standard she wanted paddle shifter. So this canceled out the z06 and gt500. Well she looked online sunday night and seen what she calls the finest car she has seen. I called monday and put a deposit on it and drove to houston, test drove it we both feel in love with it and drove it home that night. I would have never thought a car could be this fun to drive it handles like its on rails and the build quality is second to none.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #16
drburton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Alpine

Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the forum!

Since it sound like you are pretty new to the car, make sure you push up the revs for the real fun. This car comes alive over 5500 rpms to redline. Unleash the Beast

On a side note don't expect much better gas mileage than your Trailblazer. She is thirsty.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #17
iamcpap
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5M

Congrats on the purchase. MY advice to you is don't start modding as you'll never be able to stop, but if I had to make personal recommendations, I would go with:

- Front grills, side gills, hood vents and rear badge in either gloss or matte black.
- Some type of used exhaust from the forum here. Akra, Dinan, listen to some videos or check some out in person. Don't buy a new exhaust though, too many good ones on here for sale.
- Rims - if it is in your budget - Volks, BBS, HRE, something quality, again lots of stuff in the used section here.

I bought my car and only had looked at the cars for sale area. I suggest getting into the Picture and Sponsored Cars forum. You will get great ideas for sure.

There are also a TON of great sponsors here. I am from Chicago, so partial to IND and VS motorsports. Check out both of their websites.

Lastly, enjoy safely. She is a beast amongst girls...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #18
Twinbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ....

1) Order key through BMW - then walk funny for the next few days
2) Have your service advisor check to see if you have the Sirius module already on the car - if you don't it will need to be installed (~$1,000 parts, labour and 1 year subscription)
3) If you are used to GT500, z06's sweet sounds I would make exhaust your first choice
4) This toggle switch adjusts the aggressiveness of the DCT transmission - in S mode anything above 3 bars will enable throttle-match downshifts. I believe anything below 2 bars in D mode is "snow mode" where the transmission will start in 2nd gear. When you turn traction control off you "enable" 1 even more aggressive setting on each S and D mode.
Enjoy and post up some pics
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #19
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Welcome!

I traded a modded supercharged Mustang GT for my M3. I had other Mustangs and Camaros in the past. These cars were great platforms to mod, parts are relatively cheap, easy to install (did the supercharger install on my Mustang myself), and modding was a big part of the fun of owning these cars. I usually had a new exhaust installed a few days after taking delivery of the car.

The M3 is a completely different animal. The M3 is already finely tuned from the factory. It doesn't come stock with SUV-like wheel gap, has some of the best looking stock wheels out there (I have the 19" ZCP wheels). The parts are also much more expensive than parts for a typical muscle car.

For outside mod I don't feel like sticking a bunch of CF parts enhances the look of the car that much, so I don't feel the urge of modding the outside of the car. If I did it I would definitely stick with OEM.

For exhaust most of the exhausts mods out there suck (in my opinion) and make the M3 sound like an obnoxious 4 banger with a fart can. You won't get the same type of muscle car V8 rumble here. There are a couple of exhausts that sound decent, but they are pricey. The only mod I might do in the future is the OEM performance exhaust, but it's around 3k.

If you thought 13 mpg sucked you won't be too happy with the M3 on that front. I get around 14mpg with mixed highway/city traffic.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #20
Rob@StrasseWheels
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G80 M3 Comp

Welcome and congrats!

I'm curious to know what YOU drive!

@Strasse_Robert | (786)701-3649 | Robert@StrasseWheels.com | www.StrasseWheels.com
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #21
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Your wife has been driving my car for weeks, she'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #22
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Since you're only a couple of hours east of Houston, you can also find local information here (Southwest Region on the same M3post)

http://www.m3post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0