BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

01-27-2009, 11:55 PM   #23
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyEight740 View Post
straight up Duct tape them to the car... One on the hood, one on the roof, one on the rear windscreen and one on the trunk... done deal!!!
Dude that's exactly how I roll. I have trouble stopping because of my latest mod...brake rotor delete.

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 11:49 AM   #24
clubspec330i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG F39, CB F86, MB 911T

Me like it soo much..

As for me, I just put my NT01 on the night before and drive up to the track. However, if I were to go up to Nor Cal for a track day, I would throw 2 in the truck and 2 in the backseat. Nice to have E90 ha..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 11:19 PM   #25
CinciBlueBimmer
Love my car!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i / Dinan S1

I fit everything in the back. Put the seats down, and you can stack all 4 285's on the back of the seats. Visibility is a bit of an issue though... and I had to put some cardboard between the rear windows and the tires to keep them from rubbing. It worked fine though!
      02-21-2009, 04:45 AM   #26
hipvspec
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: you crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyEight740 View Post
straight up Duct tape them to the car... One on the hood, one on the roof, one on the rear windscreen and one on the trunk... done deal!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
Dude that's exactly how I roll. I have trouble stopping because of my latest mod...brake rotor delete.
are these getting late or getting high? or both?
      02-21-2009, 07:44 PM   #27
Piloti
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Another trailer

I found this trailer, but it may be a moot point if there are no trailer hitches.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 10:49 AM   #28
66BM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ML63 AMG, E92 M3, E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta View Post
thats hard core...I like the idea, sort of like the picture below but the way I would do it is have all four wheels were lined up vertically in a U shape holder w/ tiedown points on the outside edges, just brainstorming as I'm trying to get into trackdays and autox's, don't know if I need to go this hardcore though in the beginning but definitely an idea for the future

How are those wheels strapped down and to what?
      05-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #29
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

I had a tire trailer for my z06. Its great to have the added space for tools/jack/parts etc. It is for sale if anyone is interested..

Here is a link to it: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...s-trailer.html

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #30
66BM
First Lieutenant
Rep

Does anyone know what I can use to "lock" the tires down to the roof rack? Looking for a complete system for all 4 tires.
      05-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #31
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

Remove your back seats and you will have enough space for all 4 wheels, tools, gears, food, etc...

How do I know?!?! I saw Lucid doing this!!
      05-26-2009, 06:47 PM   #32
m3larson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran C 1997 M3 Track C

The roof rack seems like a good idea.. I am towing my M3 to California this weekend with my X5 4.8I. The X5 is going to drink gas and it's a pain in the but to tie the car down in a enclosed trailer is worth looking into the roof rack.
      05-26-2009, 10:39 PM   #33
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

I don't see how four wheels with tires mounted CAN'T fit in the car. There has got to be more than enough room. Somebody already pointed out that they did it and had room for a jack, and that was without using the front seat. I used to have a '93 RX-7, and I could haul four wheels and tires in that, plus a jack, tools, spare parts, and overnight luggage (dufflebag). FYI, the wheels weren't small either = (2) 275/40/17 and (2) 245/40/17. One word of advice... to avoid messing up your interior, used large plastic garbage bags or tire totes like the Tire Rack and others sell.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 11:18 PM   #34
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3V8Driver View Post
I don't see how four wheels with tires mounted CAN'T fit in the car. There has got to be more than enough room.
There is lots of room. Three across the back seat and one in the trunk.

If you're picky about your upholstery then get the factory rear seat liner to protect it.

I've had four loose rims and four loose tires in my E92 - that's a contortionist act if ever there was one. It's a LOT easier when the rims are mounted inside the tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 01:10 AM   #35
m3larson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran C 1997 M3 Track C

I had my 285's mounted today on 18x10 wheels and before installing them I placed them in my E92 to see if they would fit. They did with the rear seats folded down. I had to pull them through truck via leaning in the front. still had room for a jack and tools.
      05-27-2009, 02:01 AM   #36
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

ANy good roof racks? I know of one E46 that puts one in trunk/backseat and three across on a roof rack standing straight up.
In the back theres tons of room for tools, jacks, cooler, luggage etc etc

But now with fixed back seats, I can't really gain access to the back for wheels, they just won't fit through the opening space I have left.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 08:53 AM   #37
66BM
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTROIS View Post
Remove your back seats and you will have enough space for all 4 wheels, tools, gears, food, etc...

How do I know?!?! I saw Lucid doing this!!
Roll bar being fabricated, no more back seat soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3larson View Post
I had my 285's mounted today on 18x10 wheels and before installing them I placed them in my E92 to see if they would fit. They did with the rear seats folded down. I had to pull them through truck via leaning in the front. still had room for a jack and tools.
Couldn't do this for the life of me. Tires, jack, tools, helmet, gear and second passenger, just didn't fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda///Monic View Post
ANy good roof racks? I know of one E46 that puts one in trunk/backseat and three across on a roof rack standing straight up.
In the back theres tons of room for tools, jacks, cooler, luggage etc etc

But now with fixed back seats, I can't really gain access to the back for wheels, they just won't fit through the opening space I have left.
I just picked up the BMW Factory base (cheaper and better fit then Thule or Yakima) and the Thule MOAB Basket with extension. I have the Carbon Fiber roof, so I wanted the factory rack should any damage occur, I can blame BMW. My stupid ML63 won't trailer the car, which I would prefer, so I am stuck doing it this way for another few months.
      05-27-2009, 09:18 AM   #38
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by manonfire View Post
Roll bar being fabricated, no more back seat soon.
I considered this briefly and gave up as I didn't see a way of doing it safely without welding plates in and ruining the chassis. How exactly are you attaching the roll bar?
      05-27-2009, 10:49 AM   #39
66BM
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
I considered this briefly and gave up as I didn't see a way of doing it safely without welding plates in and ruining the chassis. How exactly are you attaching the roll bar?
I have a guy looking at fabricating a bolt down plate to the bar itself. Its all in the planning stages at the moment.
      05-27-2009, 11:13 AM   #40
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have a guy looking at fabricating a bolt down plate to the bar itself. Its all in the planning stages at the moment.
Yes, without plates this is not a good idea. I don't think it is possible to strengthen the chassis enough with just a bolt-in plate though. I wouldn't trust a solution that doesn't utilize extensive welding/reinforcement. Otherwise, if you really flip the car and land on that bar (not a soft roll), the chances are it will simply result in significant chassis deformation and the plate might even go through the chassis (wherever things are bolted in). That is still better than no roll bar, but the issue is that a significant movement of the bar could pull your harness bar and you along (against the seat, etc) with it. Just my 2 cents...
      05-27-2009, 11:17 AM   #41
66BM
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Yes, without plates this is not a good idea. I don't think it is possible to strengthen the chassis enough with just a bolt-in plate though. I wouldn't trust a solution that doesn't utilize extensive welding. Otherwise, if you really flip the car and land on that bar (not a soft roll), the chances are it will simply result in significant chassis deformation and the plate might even go through the chassis (wherever things are bolted in). That is still better than no roll bar, but the issue is that a significant movement of the bar could pull your harness bar and you along (against the seat, etc) with it. Just my 2 cents...
Agree 100%. But these guys are a fabrication shop that make roll bars for drag cars, so, I hope they know what they are doing. Like I said, it may not even happen. They are going to let me know. Its in the autocad now.
      05-27-2009, 11:18 AM   #42
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agree 100%. But these guys are a fabrication shop that make roll bars for drag cars, so, I hope they know what they are doing. Like I said, it may not even happen. They are going to let me know. Its in the autocad now.
Let us know how it turns out.
      06-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #43
66BM
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by man02195 View Post
I have an e90 and 4 265 BFGs that fit on the folded down rear seat. The toolbox, jack, brakebleed, jack stands fit in the trunk, luggage in the front seat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
There is lots of room. Three across the back seat and one in the trunk.

If you're picky about your upholstery then get the factory rear seat liner to protect it.

I've had four loose rims and four loose tires in my E92 - that's a contortionist act if ever there was one. It's a LOT easier when the rims are mounted inside the tires.
Now looking for a trailer hitch. The roof rack proved to be way more hassle than necessary. I've been putting three tires standing up, and a bin in the back seat. One tire in the trunk, with the jack, tools, impact wrench and beach chair. I had a passenger in front seat this weekend with a duffle bag of clothes on her lap as the only remaining space for a tiny cooler was on top of the bin..

EDIT** BTW, it was NO WAY TO TRAVEL FROM NJ TO BOSTON!
      06-04-2009, 08:15 PM   #44
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Now looking for a trailer hitch. The roof rack proved to be way more hassle than necessary. I've been putting three tires standing up, and a bin in the back seat. One tire in the trunk, with the jack, tools, impact wrench and beach chair. I had a passenger in front seat this weekend with a duffle bag of clothes on her lap as the only remaining space for a tiny cooler was on top of the bin..

EDIT** BTW, it was NO WAY TO TRAVEL FROM NJ TO BOSTON!
Keep us in the loop on the trailer hitch.I think a tire trailer is the best bet.
Appreciate 0