BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-01-2015, 08:43 PM   #1
Installsplus
Ultimate Driving Machine E92ESS625 M3/G05 X5 Msport 40i Individual
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT/ESS 625 kit

Garage List
Looking to go coilovers

I currently have edc with swift springs. I want my rear lower and the only option is coilovers. Can anyone give me any ideas on what set up to go with. I would still like edc functionality. I would also have to order this online. Thanks for ur feedback.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 08:44 PM   #2
Installsplus
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Here is a pic of my car now with swift springs
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 10:54 AM   #3
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/Mk4 Supra/X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Installsplus View Post
I currently have edc with swift springs. I want my rear lower and the only option is coilovers. Can anyone give me any ideas on what set up to go with. I would still like edc functionality. I would also have to order this online. Thanks for ur feedback.
Did you search coilovers for e92 m3 that maintain edc?
I am sure you will come up with something.
      07-02-2015, 11:42 AM   #4
Installsplus
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeS
Quote:
Did you search coilovers for e92 m3 that maintain edc?
I am sure you will come up with something.
I will try that. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 12:53 PM   #5
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

if you're going with coilovers, skip the edc.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 09:04 AM   #6
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

I think it's Ohlins or Blistein that have a model for EDC cars. Quick questions and sorry OP for digging into yr thread, what's the difference between shocks and springs and Coilovers? I understand that coilovers are the fronts and springs on the back, is this correct?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 09:31 AM   #7
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
if your looking to just slam the car you can also go with KW sleeves. That will retain EDC and allow you be at the height you are looking to achieve. I would just say ditch the EDC and go closers.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 02:16 PM   #8
z3papa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 ZCP, 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
if you're going with coilovers, skip the edc.
This. While the Bilstein setups maintain the appearance of EDC functionality, they are way overpriced for what you get.
      07-10-2015, 02:35 PM   #9
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3papa View Post
This. While the Bilstein setups maintain the appearance of EDC functionality, they are way overpriced for what you get.
Exactly! Way overpriced for a compromise.

IF you get proper coilovers, you will have a better performance in the corners, AND you will have more compliant/supple ride at the same time.

Hard to believe but yes it is true.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 04:24 PM   #10
Installsplus
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bimmer77
I think it's Ohlins or Blistein that have a model for EDC cars. Quick questions and sorry OP for digging into yr thread, what's the difference between shocks and springs and Coilovers? I understand that coilovers are the fronts and springs on the back, is this correct?
I am not a mechanic but with coilovers you can adjust the ride height to what ever you desire and get a better ride. From all the springs in the market I think swift has the best drop not raked and one of the lowest and even drop compared to other manufactures. If I didn't have edc I would have gone the coilover route with out a doubt. Here is my car sitting on swift not sure how much lower I can go.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 04:00 AM   #11
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Installsplus
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bimmer77
I am not a mechanic but with coilovers you can adjust the ride height to what ever you desire and get a better ride. From all the springs in the market I think swift has the best drop not raked and one of the lowest and even drop compared to other manufactures. If I didn't have edc I would have gone the coilover route with out a doubt. Here is my car sitting on swift not sure how much lower I can go.
I love this color! OP KW HAS kit is pretty legit. I have it on mine. Basic setting is useless now but middle and aggressive are great. Plus you pick the height because now your stock EDC shock is essentially an adjustable coil over. Roughly $900, it's a great price. It's not over rated to be able to pick your stiffness through EDC at the press of a button. Others are jelly for not having it
      07-11-2015, 07:29 AM   #12
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Scrap EDC and go with full coilovers if you're looking for better handling.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 10:07 AM   #13
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq View Post
This is exactly what i did. Replaced stock EDC system with Ohlins R&T coilovers w/ GC c. plates. Not a hard core suspension for the track like MCS or kw clubsports, but a huge upgrade from stock.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 01:08 PM   #14
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
This is exactly what i did. Replaced stock EDC system with Ohlins R&T coilovers w/ GC c. plates. Not a hard core suspension for the track like MCS or kw clubsports, but a huge upgrade from stock.
yup best move i made a few years ago
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #15
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq View Post
I went with KW clubsport but yeah coilovers transforms the entire car. It's one of the best upgrades you can do for the track.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 09:44 PM   #16
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I wouldn't drop the car more than what you have. Your car's height is perfect to me
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 09:55 PM   #17
AP3X_FTW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Very nice OP, love the "OEM+" look with the ZCP wheels.

In regards to suspension, there is no right or wrong answer. The only way for us to give you proper advice, is to find out what you will be using your car for. Will it be used on the street only, or will it see some track time? If it will see track time, how many days/events per year?

Just because many members here run something, doesn't mean it is right for you. For example, the KW HAS (adjustable sleeve kit)... please pass on that. You already have swift lowering springs which utilize your stock shocks, and if you decide to dump any more money towards suspension, you will want to do it right the first time (or would this be considered the second time? ). As others have already mentioned, forget about something the utilizes EDC.

My general opinion:

Street:
$ Stock shocks w/ swift or eibach springs
$$ KW V3
$$$ Ohlins R&T

Double Duty (Street & Track):
$$ TC Kline
$$$ KW Clubsports
$$$$ Motion Control Suspension (MCS) Single's
$$$$ JRZ Single's

Track Rat / Competition:
$$$$$ MCS doubles/triples
$$$$$ JRZ doubles/triples

Plan on adding some Vorshlag or Ground Control camber plates to the equation, especially if you plan on tracking your machine. KW Clubsports will actually come with camber plates, so that should be factored into your decision. Also note that KW V3's and KW Clubsports will likely create front fitment issues with your wheels/tires. This is due to the lower location of the spring perch, and the wheel/tire ends up rubbing. This can be remedied with the clubsports by either running 5mm spacers, or by removing the helper spring and purchasing different springs from eibach or other companies alike.

MCS and JRZ are vastly superior then most (I love my MCS's ), but that may be complete overkill for your application. We need a bit more info from you before we press on.

For Sale - E92 M3 Full Black Interior Part Out

Last edited by AP3X_FTW; 07-14-2015 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 03:57 PM   #18
Installsplus
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP3X_FTW
Very nice OP, love the "OEM+" look with the ZCP wheels.

In regards to suspension, there is no right or wrong answer. The only way for us to give you proper advice, is to find out what you will be using your car for. Will it be used on the street only, or will it see some track time? If it will see track time, how many days/events per year?

Just because many members here run something, doesn't mean it is right for you. For example, the KW HAS (adjustable sleeve kit)... please pass on that. You already have swift lowering springs which utilize your stock shocks, and if you decide to dump any more money towards suspension, you will want to do it right the first time (or would this be considered the second time? ). As others have already mentioned, forget about something the utilizes EDC.

My general opinion:

Street:
$ Stock shocks w/ swift or eibach springs
$$ KW V3
$$$ Ohlins R&T

Double Duty (Street & Track):
$$ TC Kline
$$$ KW Clubsports
$$$$ Motion Control Suspension (MCS) Single's
$$$$ JRZ Single's

Track Rat / Competition:
$$$$$ MCS doubles/triples
$$$$$ JRZ doubles/triples

Plan on adding some Vorshlag or Ground Control camber plates to the equation, especially if you plan on tracking your machine. KW Clubsports will actually come with camber plates, so that should be factored into your decision. Also note that KW V3's and KW Clubsports will likely create front fitment issues with your wheels/tires. This is due to the lower location of the spring perch, and the wheel/tire ends up rubbing. This can be remedied with the clubsports by either running 5mm spacers, or by removing the helper spring and purchasing different springs from eibach or other companies alike.

MCS and JRZ are vastly superior then most (I love my MCS's ), but that may be complete overkill for your application. We need a bit more info from you before we press on.
Thanks for the great info. I have never tracked the car and really don't intend to. I know I am missing out. I most likely will keep my swift springs unless a crazy deal comes up on a set of coilovers. Thanks for all the informative info guys!!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 05:15 PM   #19
Bomiz
Captain
Rep
Drives: SS E92 M3

My car is on the BC Racing Coilovers, installed by the PO. I've had the car for almost 2 weeks now and I have nothing but good things to say about them. I've ran different coilovers on different cars, and these have a smooth ride on the street, and when I push the car they stay stiff. For less than $1000, I think these coilovers are one of the best for the price.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 07:59 PM   #20
Installsplus
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomiz
My car is on the BC Racing Coilovers, installed by the PO. I've had the car for almost 2 weeks now and I have nothing but good things to say about them. I've ran different coilovers on different cars, and these have a smooth ride on the street, and when I push the car they stay stiff. For less than $1000, I think these coilovers are one of the best for the price.
Wow that's a great price.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 08:08 PM   #21
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

If you want to retain EDC, Dinan, TCKline, Bilstein and KW Sleeves (I think Ground Control has one too). Dinan and TCKline use Koni shocks. But stock EDC is highly overrated as it only adjusts for compression, not rebound and this is a big drawback. Will say though that you will get a little more noise with coilovers (though Dinan probably has the least) but that is really only drawback. I have TCKline double adjustable coilovers set on soft and ride is better than EDC and softest setting is faster on the track than hardest EDC. I don't know if the other kits have clicking knobs for the rebound adjustment. The koni shocks in front have pins and IMO, they are a bit temperamental to set right. If you go with TC, be sure the installer follows the TCKline installation guide exactly.

I honestly don't know why BMW even did an EDC for the M3 with no rebound adjustability for the various modes.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 10:22 PM   #22
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
Can't beat the ride quality of the Ohlins on the street and performance at the track.
Appreciate 0