BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

04-03-2012, 04:52 AM   #1
SDPRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Space Gray/MT

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 e92  [0.00]
Removing my catless pipes back to OEM midsection.

Last week was the RPI GTC install. Pros: Power gains of 22hp and 30 torque, sound once the system settled and fat matte gray tips. Cons: Stinks, way too loud for my neighborhood and drone. Drone from 1500-2200 rpms. Basically scared I'll get complaints and or effed with by the cops. Was pulled over for doing close to 90 last night. I turned off the car during the stop.

So back to OEM midsection but with the mufflers. Hopefully I can maintain 50% of the sound because it's nice. Someone talk me into keeping my set up because I was planning on a Dinan remap.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Uh doing 90 is enough to get you pulled over and you're complaining about the noise/smell? Add some cats if you want the smell gone. Choose a different exhaust if you don't want it so loud. RPi isn't known to be quiet so it sounds like research wasn't done before you bought.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Add a set of high flow cats and one set of resonators.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Man up... move to a remote cabin, get a valentine one, and keep the x-pipe.

Or, switch back to the stock one, make casseroles for the neighborhood, and wear pleated pants with a sweater vest.

LOL

Why don't you just kick the guy's dog while you're at it?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPDPRT View Post
Last week was the RPI GTC install. Pros: Power gains of 22hp and 30 torque, sound once the system settled and fat matte gray tips. Cons: Stinks, way too loud for my neighborhood and drone. Drone from 1500-2200 rpms. Basically scared I'll get complaints and or effed with by the cops. Was pulled over for doing close to 90 last night. I turned off the car during the stop.

So back to OEM midsection but with the mufflers. Hopefully I can maintain 50% of the sound because it's nice. Someone talk me into keeping my set up because I was planning on a Dinan remap.
Evolve showed in their exhaust testing that 200CPI cats make a small difference in terms of power. I can tell you that the smell is not really bad at all either once they are warmed up. It will be stinky during cold start.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2

Since you have the RPI x pipe I would suggest doing what I did to mine and add a set of resonators. You already have the resonated front pipes just add a second set to the x pipe and my guess is you will love it. As for the smell it all just depends on the person, I have issues and love the smell of the 100 octane!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
SDPRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 e92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Man up... move to a remote cabin, get a valentine one, and keep the x-pipe.

Or, switch back to the stock one, make casseroles for the neighborhood, and wear pleated pants with a sweater vest.

I'm a Banana Republic guy so Sweater Vests are cool so I'll wear my vest and make tuna casseroles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Uh doing 90 is enough to get you pulled over and you're complaining about the noise/smell? Add some cats if you want the smell gone. Choose a different exhaust if you don't want it so loud. RPi isn't known to be quiet so it sounds like research wasn't done before you bought.
Research is hard to do when there are like 4 San Diego guys here on M3 Post, who knows who has an exhaust and no one meets ups. I'd rather hear exhausts in person than on YouTube. If one says that YouTube helped them with their decision then they must believe there are Talking Dogs Who Love Maple Bacon. Just rolled the dice on getting the RPI just like I rolled the dice on buying this car. Now that I've experienced it first hand and my tuning shop is easy to work with I'll make the changes I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Evolve showed in their exhaust testing that 200CPI cats make a small difference in terms of power. I can tell you that the smell is not really bad at all either once they are warmed up. It will be stinky during cold start.
Roger that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post
Since you have the RPI x pipe I would suggest doing what I did to mine and add a set of resonators. You already have the resonated front pipes just add a second set to the x pipe and my guess is you will love it. As for the smell it all just depends on the person, I have issues and love the smell of the 100 octane!
I will look into it.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #8
Darkboyz68
Jedi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 LMB

I had only the Catback Rpi GTC during the break in period, it didnt sound as good and deep as when i had the RPi xpipe installed! Just a tip, learn to drive like a grandma on the streets, listen for the engine load and correct shift points thats how i control the exhaust loudness. As per the morning start up and smell, its the price you pay for what you got my friend. The cold start you can eliminate with a tune.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #9
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Research is hard to do when there are like 4 San Diego guys here on M3 Post, who knows who has an exhaust and no one meets ups. I'd rather hear exhausts in person than on YouTube. If one says that YouTube helped them with their decision then they must believe there are Talking Dogs Who Love Maple Bacon. Just rolled the dice on getting the RPI just like I rolled the dice on buying this car. Now that I've experienced it first hand and my tuning shop is easy to work with I'll make the changes I want.
Even if you couldn't hear first hand, you would have at least learned that it was definitely loud. If noise was a concern, then you would have ruled this one out early. Common sense would tell you that running no cats would give you the smell. Live and learn I guess.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 06:14 AM   #10
SDPRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 e92  [0.00]
I decided to keep it as is, no cats and full exhaust system. Gotten used to the loud sound and how to control it. I actually love it. As for the smell oh well. I couldn't walk away from the power gains. Will evaluate over the next few weeks and consider a tune.
      05-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #11
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
I decided to keep it as is, no cats and full exhaust system. Gotten used to the loud sound and how to control it. I actually love it. As for the smell oh well. I couldn't walk away from the power gains. Will evaluate over the next few weeks and consider a tune.
Hi any updates here? Still enjoying the exhaust? Did you get a tune?

TIA,
Barry
      05-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #12
SDPRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 e92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryC View Post
Hi any updates here? Still enjoying the exhaust? Did you get a tune?

TIA,
Barry
Hola,
Yup got the Dinan Stage 2. I noticed the gains and got rid of the cold start. That part was annoying. Love the exhaust. Can hear me from up the block according to everyone who rubber necks looking at my M. I park in a parking garage at work and the sound reverberates throughout the garage. Its so loud.
      05-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #13
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Hola,
Yup got the Dinan Stage 2. I noticed the gains and got rid of the cold start. That part was annoying. Love the exhaust. Can hear me from up the block according to everyone who rubber necks looking at my M. I park in a parking garage at work and the sound reverberates throughout the garage. Its so loud.
I went full Dinan with stage II. I have the exact same sound complaints as you, mild drone below 2200 rpm. Embarassing loud around my neighborhood, but I'm learning to keep the sound down when leaving the house. Everywhere else, I've been driving like a delinquent for the last two weeks. Great fun.

I back into the garage on Sunday nights so I (hopefully) don't wake the neighbors at 04:00 when I leave on Mondays. We have a few loud Harleys within a few blocks, so I'm probably not the worst offender.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #14
SDPRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 e92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
I went full Dinan with stage II. I have the exact same sound complaints as you, mild drone below 2200 rpm. Embarassing loud around my neighborhood, but I'm learning to keep the sound down when leaving the house. Everywhere else, I've been driving like a delinquent for the last two weeks. Great fun.

I back into the garage on Sunday nights so I (hopefully) don't wake the neighbors at 04:00 when I leave on Mondays. We have a few loud Harleys within a few blocks, so I'm probably not the worst offender.
Ha Ha ya I keep it low rpms around the hood but give a show to the looky loooos. My GSXR is my daily driver and my M is the weekend ride. My bike is annoyingly loud also but I'm not concerned.
      05-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #15
habrielaCriss
Rep
Drives: volvo

it sounds like research wasn't done before you bought.
      05-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #16
SDPRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 e92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by habrielaCriss View Post
it sounds like research wasn't done before you bought.
Thanks for your opinion.
      07-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #17
Vybz
Captain
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: Adidas and Puma

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [8.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPRT View Post
Hola,
lol it's threads like this that at least reassure me that I made the right decision. I should get my GTC by the end of this week and I'll be throwing it on same day. Need to find a good method of capturing sound, and then I'll make a ton of sound clips, but for a while I've been wondering if I made a mistake and should have went with the GTM. I can't stand drone, but I love hearing my rev matches and downshifts. Everyone has their own perspective on what "loud" is. So hopefully you guys aren't too sensitive when it comes to hearing and I'm disappointed when I put the exhaust on lol
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 03:34 AM   #18
FrancisVol
Rep
Drives: bmw

I have the exact same sound complaints as you
      07-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #19
SDPRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 e92  [0.00]
Having my RPI GTc full for a a couple months now I couldn't be more happier. In comparison to Akros and other systems I've heard in person I'm happy with the sound, performance, price and compliments I get. An engine tune is a must to compliment it. Still a little loud in the parking garage at work and my buddies give me shit for it but who cares.
      07-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #20
VelocityM3
Brian
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 ///M3

Has the smell improved or have you just got used to it?
      08-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #21
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelocityM3 View Post
Has the smell improved or have you just got used to it?
+1 ?
Appreciate 0