BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

12-11-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
DailyDriver
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW E92 M3 (6MT)

Got M Performance Exhaust This Week

This forum's been a great resource for everything about my ///M. While I appreciate, admire and often times envy all of the mods that people have made to their rides, I seem to prefer the factory look and feel. Since I'm not tracking it (yet), I figure as it came from the factory is sufficient for me especially since it's a daily driver. Don't get me wrong, I do drive it hard as it was meant to be. It'd be a shame not to.

The only mod that I had made so far was a DIY swap out of the side mirror caps with the OEM carbon fiber ones, which helped to complete the dark greenhouse of the CFRP roof and black gloss trim against the Alpine White body. Then, I saw that video that BMW released about the M Performance Exhaust and must have watched it about 30 times on YouTube over the past few months. Got to give it to BMW's marketing team and video production quality to suddenly cause me to debate getting one when it had never crossed my mind. I was in the group of many drivers on this forum debating the cost/value of an aftermarket exhaust, and if so, which one. I saw a few M3s around town with Akrapovic exhausts and considered their aftermarket slip-on exhaust system, but ultimately I always came back to the M Performance Exhaust. Well, I finally pulled the trigger the other day.

There are a lot of good points and opinions in this forum about which exhaust to get, so I wont add anything new. It basically came down to the OEM fit, warranty, lack of drone, and sound at the top end. I also really like the exhaust tips, which are more reminiscent of the E46 M3's straight pipes. And it keeps with my tradition of keeping it factory stock.

I hadn't heard the exhaust in real life until it was lowered from the lift and cold started. A few good revs after getting up to temp had me sold before I even pulled the car out of the shop. And getting it to redline on a cold LA night the other day with the windows open was glorious. It now sounds like the proper V8 exhaust that should have come from the factory. I don't know why BMW doesn't offer it as an option with the Completion package or standalone, but it should.

I need to give a big shout out to GOLFFRR for hooking me up with Steve Thomas BMW in Camarillo. It was well worth the drive up from Los Angeles to get solid service and a killer deal. Travis was a great service contact and Cody did a first-rate install. Really genuine people and experience. Also, nice to stroll the lot and see a Moonstone and Fire Orange sedan along with a sweet Frozen Silver coupe.

Just a couple iPhone pictures, but photos pale in comparison to the sound.

2005 Dark Silver MINI Cooper S JCW (R53 6MT) - Gone
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

Just got mine installed last Friday. Couldn't be happier.
      12-12-2011, 01:57 AM   #3
Peahi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

Congrats man! I lovin it too. I love the loud yet exotic cold start.

12-12-2011, 02:12 AM   #4
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Congrats and very envious!
      12-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #5
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Glad it all worked out for you Greg! Enjoy the new exhaust and if there is anything else at all you need just let me know and ill take care of it

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #6
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

I just installed mine last Fri too and loving it I got the mufflers sprayed black to hide the droopy scrotum look. The cold start gave me a fright when i went behind the car this morning after starting it up. It's loud!! Luckily, it settles down quite quickly or it would have been a riot with that volume all the time.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Nice choice. Looks good!!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #8
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
This system sounds perfect to me. At the time I ordered the car, had I known of its pure awesomeness, I wouldve ordered it with it. Now, I play the "price has to drop" waiting game... C'mon F30M3!
      12-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #9
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Welcome to the family!! I cant imagine the car with anything but M Performance.

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 11:04 AM   #10
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Congrats, enjoy! Mine seems to have gotten a little louder after 6 months on my e92...something I appreciate.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #11
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

The muffler needs to be painted black
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 12:53 PM   #12
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Just to clarify its not the M performance exhaust. Its the bmw performance exhaust for the m3. Its made by the department of bmw performance which has absolutely no ties to the M department. Not saying that is a bad or good thing but it makes it sound like the M company put out an aftermarket exhaust but really its from the performance team at bmw. Does not change the exhaust sounds great!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 02:18 PM   #13
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
Just to clarify its not the M performance exhaust. Its the bmw performance exhaust for the m3. Its made by the department of bmw performance which has absolutely no ties to the M department. Not saying that is a bad or good thing but it makes it sound like the M company put out an aftermarket exhaust but really its from the performance team at bmw. Does not change the exhaust sounds great!
It's labeled as the M Performance exhaust from BMW. Coulda been made in China but it's still the M Performance exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 03:49 PM   #14
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Does it matter who made it within BMW or what it's exactly called? At the end of the day it's the stand out exhaust for the car. It complements the charateristics of the car beautifully. It does improve the sound and there is no doubt about that.
      12-12-2011, 04:14 PM   #15
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

I think it matters for people to know it was not designed by M but rather a completely unrelated entity-bmw performance. They are totally different entities that have nothing to do with one another. I personally would probably buy one if the M department had designed it and created this however bmw performance parts thus far have been pretty unimpressive so for me to pay 3-4k to them for an exhaust is not happening. No matter to me just pointing out its made by bmw perf. not m
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #16
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23 View Post
The muffler needs to be painted black
I used to think the same thing from looking at pics here (not saying that you haven't seen one). When I installed mine though, I actually thought it looked really cool without paint.

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #17
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I think it matters for people to know it was not designed by M but rather a completely unrelated entity-bmw performance. They are totally different entities that have nothing to do with one another. I personally would probably buy one if the M department had designed it and created this however bmw performance parts thus far have been pretty unimpressive so for me to pay 3-4k to them for an exhaust is not happening. No matter to me just pointing out its made by bmw perf. not m

Oh Ateam, what in the world are we going to do with you?

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #18
MDSKIER
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyDriver View Post
This forum's been a great resource for everything about my ///M. While I appreciate, admire and often times envy all of the mods that people have made to their rides, I seem to prefer the factory look and feel. Since I'm not tracking it (yet), I figure as it came from the factory is sufficient for me especially since it's a daily driver. Don't get me wrong, I do drive it hard as it was meant to be. It'd be a shame not to.

The only mod that I had made so far was a DIY swap out of the side mirror caps with the OEM carbon fiber ones, which helped to complete the dark greenhouse of the CFRP roof and black gloss trim against the Alpine White body. Then, I saw that video that BMW released about the M Performance Exhaust and must have watched it about 30 times on YouTube over the past few months. Got to give it to BMW's marketing team and video production quality to suddenly cause me to debate getting one when it had never crossed my mind. I was in the group of many drivers on this forum debating the cost/value of an aftermarket exhaust, and if so, which one. I saw a few M3s around town with Akrapovic exhausts and considered their aftermarket slip-on exhaust system, but ultimately I always came back to the M Performance Exhaust. Well, I finally pulled the trigger the other day.

There are a lot of good points and opinions in this forum about which exhaust to get, so I wont add anything new. It basically came down to the OEM fit, warranty, lack of drone, and sound at the top end. I also really like the exhaust tips, which are more reminiscent of the E46 M3's straight pipes. And it keeps with my tradition of keeping it factory stock.

I hadn't heard the exhaust in real life until it was lowered from the lift and cold started. A few good revs after getting up to temp had me sold before I even pulled the car out of the shop. And getting it to redline on a cold LA night the other day with the windows open was glorious. It now sounds like the proper V8 exhaust that should have come from the factory. I don't know why BMW doesn't offer it as an option with the Completion package or standalone, but it should.

I need to give a big shout out to GOLFFRR for hooking me up with Steve Thomas BMW in Camarillo. It was well worth the drive up from Los Angeles to get solid service and a killer deal. Travis was a great service contact and Cody did a first-rate install. Really genuine people and experience. Also, nice to stroll the lot and see a Moonstone and Fire Orange sedan along with a sweet Frozen Silver coupe.

Just a couple iPhone pictures, but photos pale in comparison to the sound.

Nice writeup.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 12:44 AM   #19
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
I used to think the same thing from looking at pics here (not saying that you haven't seen one). When I installed mine though, I actually thought it looked really cool without paint.
My local M3 buddy commented on mine before I painted the cans black...he really liked the raw look of it unpainted. It definitely stands out.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 01:02 AM   #20
///M3///
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3

I come to this forum to learn about my car and performance parts for it. I appreciate Ateams' info. Doesn't mean I think people who bought the M exhaust were ripped off.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 05:56 AM   #21
SPQR M3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 325i

I love the exhaust tips, but IMO the overall look, especially from the rear end, is too similar to the stock muffler to justify the cost. Just saying.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 06:03 AM   #22
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQR M3 View Post
I love the exhaust tips, but IMO the overall look, especially from the rear end, is too similar to the stock muffler to justify the cost. Just saying.
+1
Appreciate 0