BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

08-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

CCA NJMP Lightning Oct. 14-15

I am thinking about signing up for the event but wanted to get some opinions on the track, fun, not so fun, etc.. I usually go to VIR and Summit Pt. so this would be my first time at NJMP.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgolfdr View Post
I am thinking about signing up for the event but wanted to get some opinions on the track, fun, not so fun, etc.. I usually go to VIR and Summit Pt. so this would be my first time at NJMP.
NJMP Lightning is a lot more fun than it looks on the map. Smaller than VIR of course and not as technical as Thunderbolt. Still a good time.

PCA-Delaware is having an event on Oct 6 and 7 at NJMP-Thunderbolt (register through motorsport reg) if you're interested.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

The dates for Lightning work better for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
besiktas
Ultimate Driver for the Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

Sanjay and I are thinking of going to lightning on 21st sept. which is a friday. I think 2 days at lightning might be a bit too much. There is not much to learn about the track. Or maybe VIR caused me to set up my standards way too high

BMW M3 E92 - Silverstone II
BPM Sport Stage II Tune + Test Pipes, GTS DCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by besiktas View Post
Sanjay and I are thinking of going to lightning on 21st sept. which is a friday. I think 2 days at lightning might be a bit too much. There is not much to learn about the track. Or maybe VIR caused me to set up my standards way too high
Wow. You must have had an awesome instructor.

Lightning is tougher than TB. TB is more forgiving than L'ning, but L'ing is much better when you get it right (well, as right as you cajones let you!) I think when you are getting air on Turn 5 and you "start" the front straight just after Turn 6 is when you have nothing left to learn on LT! I much preferred TB until I started to figure out L'ing.
      08-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Quote:
Correction-Thunderbolt is on 21st September.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
besiktas
United_States
Rep

I did have an awesome instructor, after the second session (first session was under heavy rain) he said i should go to intermediate but our group was only 5 people, so it was like a private track. makes it much easier to learn. (i usually screw up my line while following someone very close).

I didnt find lightning as a very exciting track - it might be because i didnt have anyone in the group to play cat and mouse with. I had that in VIR, definately caused me to push harder.

I had gassed out brake pads that felt like wood, with stock brake fluid that probably boiled. Pure stock car with PS2s. On the straigt areas especially the main straight i wasnt pushing hard and (on main straight) literally taking my feet of the gas. My lap times were only 3 secs lower than a intermediate M3 with track tires and BBK and dinan stuff. surely there is always room to improve, but lightning, two days in a row? I would say one day is enough.

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
CBS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10535, E90M3, E30M3, E28M5

Garage List
2017 Alpina B6 GC  [0.00]
2014 535xi M Sport  [0.00]
2014 X3 3.5 M Sport  [0.00]
2011 M3 E90  [9.74]
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [7.00]
1990 M3  [9.50]
1988 M5  [10.00]
OP: Give it a try, it's a fun track!

But then I seem to love every track.......

ESS VT-1 550 | M24 Oil Cooler | Fall Line Half Cage | RaceTech 4009W | 6 pt Harness | Lifeline Zero 360 Fire Suppression | Rear Seat Delete | Motion Control DA Dampers w/remote reservoirs | 900/650 Hyperco Springs | RD Sport Sway Bars | Brembo 380 BBK | GC Camber Plates | Hoosier R7 | Eisenmann Sport | Stack Gauges | Painted Challenge Front Lip | Painted ZCP Rear Spoiler | Xpel Ultimate Film | LuxAngelEyes
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 12:58 AM   #9
ixm3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgolfdr
Op, you should give Lightning a shot. It may not be the same as VIR or Summit Point in terms of size but it is plenty technical while allowing you to stretch the M3's legs on the front and back straights.
There are a couple of blind uphill corners, a carousel, and a set of esses that repay you for hitting them just right. The track has a great rhythm.
A well prepared/driven e36m3 can pass everyone all day long, or a newbie 1M can zoom past the group with some decent instruction.
Both DelVal and Njbmwcca run great events there. Hopefully, See you at the nj event in October.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #10
besiktas
United_States
Rep

What type of a difference one should expect if the event is run by and organization like BMW CCA versus a company like trackdaze or IMG. I have never been to a CCA event before.

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 09:52 PM   #11
ixm3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3x2

Quote:
What type of a difference one should expect if the event is run by and organization like BMW CCA versus a company like trackdaze or IMG. I have never been to a CCA event before.
I've only been to CCA schools and private track days. CCA stresses building car control skills and driving awareness. Everyone wants the student to have fun but speed comes with time and familiarity with all things safety related. For some people it takes a session or two, for others- a lot longer. It all depends on what you want from the event.
CCA schools are pretty structured. Not trying to discourage you but if all you want is to drive fast (and learning is a secondary goal), a bmwcca SCHOOL is not the best organization for you to facilitate track time.

Private track days are a different beast. This is just plain open-track time shared amongst experienced drivers. Depending on the group, point-by's are optional and passing (safely) is allowed anywhere, anytime. One of the events I enjoyed the most was a private track event at Watkins Glen. I went through countless tanks of gas, a set of tires and two sets of brake pads...in two days of open-track lapping. It was awesome.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #12
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
I think the CCA events in our areas are better suited when you first start out. They do tend to run skid pads which is a great way to learn some car control, but can be a bit too structured at times. Our chapter also tends to be fairly big which leads to too many cars on track sometimes, sold out events that you need to register far in advance etc.

Then again with some other organizations which are more laissez-faire there can be a lot more incidents in the upper run groups, which is something to think about. I loved them in the beginning because they run the events with safety in mind. They dont allow some Corvettes and Lotus models which tends to reduce car diversity. Track daze seems to occupy the middle ground as far as I can tell.

These days I'm pretty organization-agnostic, I just go when I have time and there's an event at the track I want...

Just my opinion of course...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0