BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
OneEighty
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
NYCMCBM3
Colonel
 
NYCMCBM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 MCB E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Ozone Park,NY

Posts: 2,718
iTrader: (13)

My car is acting up -.-

Ok heres whats happening

Last week i was driving and then traffic started getting heavy , so as i slowed down to come to a full stop , and all of a sudden i feel a jerk from the back of the car, it felt like it was rear ended ,but not very hard, at 1st i thought it was that , but as i looked in my rear view i could see the headlights of the car behind me , so i figured it couldn't be that.

Yesterday the car started to driving funny , the gears were very slow to shift and it felt like the car was going really slow and driving slug-ish , didn't think much of it until i came to a light and the car felt like it was dying , and all of a sudden it shut down , and went into N , steering wheel and everything was just locked up,the shifter didn't move until i turned back the car on, so i drove home and parked up.Today i start it up and went for a drive and then i started to slow down to stop at a light and then the car started to slow down and i herd the engine shutting off , and then the service engine light came on along with the windshield washer fluid light , turn the car back on and then waited for the light to turn green , stepped on the gas lightly and the car wouldn't move , kept pressing for about 5 secs and then it just kicked really really hard , my whole neck snapped back , it felt as if truck hit me in the back , kept driving and i feel the difference in the car's performance , its going really slow and jerky

im going to call up my service guy and set up a date to get it checked out , i'm not even sure if i should keep driving it , cuz it feels really bad, what do you guys think is wrong? DCT problems?
__________________
2012 MCB///M3
NYCMCBM3 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
ThunderMoose
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 C2S and 2003 E46 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: League City, TX

Posts: 962
iTrader: (0)

You didn't sell yourself some bad gasoline did you?
ThunderMoose is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
NYCMCBM3
Colonel
 
NYCMCBM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 MCB E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Ozone Park,NY

Posts: 2,718
iTrader: (13)

^lol no,its def not the gas
__________________
2012 MCB///M3
NYCMCBM3 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
AbuArije5
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Non
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: New York

Posts: 301
iTrader: (1)

something happen to my friend pathfinder but it put bad gas in it
AbuArije5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
JuniorM3
Captain
 
JuniorM3's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E92 M3 DTC Alpine White
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ethiopia

Posts: 160
iTrader: (0)

I'm happy i did not get you car...
__________________
09 E92 M3 DCT | Alpine | Black 19'' OZ Racing - Michelin Pilot Sport Cup | OEM 19'' - Toyo R888 245/265 | Fully Loaded | Chip Mod | Performance Steering Wheel | Remus X-Pipe | DSI-Stinger/Front + Rear Laser Shield | Custom Brake Duct Cooling System | EDC | F+R PDC |
JuniorM3 is offline   Ethiopia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-25-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
TxFeatFan
Captain
 
TxFeatFan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 624
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011.5 E90 M3  [5.00]
Did you check the washer fluid?
__________________

--------------------------------
2011 Melbourne Red E90 ZCP - 6MT
Mod's: Trunk liner
1996 Hellrot E36 M3 - 5MT (Sold)
TxFeatFan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
///My5UV
Lurker
 
///My5UV's Avatar
 
Drives: E39M5, E90M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Austin

Posts: 621
iTrader: (0)

washer fluid light makes me think it's electrical... too new to be battery, but check the cables
__________________
///My5UV is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2011, 08:04 AM   #8
NYCMCBM3
Colonel
 
NYCMCBM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 MCB E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Ozone Park,NY

Posts: 2,718
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxFeatFan View Post
Did you check the washer fluid?
Yea it was low , I filled it up right after
__________________
2012 MCB///M3
NYCMCBM3 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2011, 08:06 AM   #9
NYCMCBM3
Colonel
 
NYCMCBM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 MCB E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Ozone Park,NY

Posts: 2,718
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///My5UV View Post
washer fluid light makes me think it's electrical... too new to be battery, but check the cables
I thought it was as well , but its still doing it , as I drive and and try to accelerate to 65+, it fell the car slow down and then kick really hard , what can that be?
__________________
2012 MCB///M3
NYCMCBM3 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
ThunderMoose
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 C2S and 2003 E46 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: League City, TX

Posts: 962
iTrader: (0)

what was wrong?
ThunderMoose is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2011, 07:28 PM   #11
saeedg48
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 12 CLS63 + 14 M6 C
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Unknown

Posts: 3,499
iTrader: (1)

DCT!
__________________


2008 M3 Sedan + TestPipes + Tune [sold]

2012 CLS63 AMG + P30 Performance Package
2014 M6 Coupe + AMS Downpipes + KW V3
saeedg48 is offline   Iran
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2011, 11:00 PM   #12
M3maniac20
Captain
 
M3maniac20's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Austin, Texas

Posts: 650
iTrader: (0)

Have you contacted anyone at your dealership?
__________________
2011.5 M3 Coupe ZCP
M3maniac20 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #13
NYCMCBM3
Colonel
 
NYCMCBM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 MCB E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Ozone Park,NY

Posts: 2,718
iTrader: (13)

^ Yes and I took it in to get fix , they call me next day later said its CPU error , cleared it out gave me back the car , drive 5 blocks off the dealership lot and same thing happens -.-


took it back in this week , took a test drive with a tech , now they said they are going to reload the whole software for the car , lets see if that fixes it
__________________
2012 MCB///M3
NYCMCBM3 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-13-2011, 11:05 AM   #14
NYCMCBM3
Colonel
 
NYCMCBM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 MCB E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Ozone Park,NY

Posts: 2,718
iTrader: (13)

Also the car shuts down from time to time and I got this transmission warning last week ( the car shut off and I turned it back on , that error was on the screen and the car was driving about 10mph , while the gas was on the floor , then all of a sudden it kicked in really hard and started to drive normal)

__________________
2012 MCB///M3
NYCMCBM3 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #15
1Sleeper
First Lieutenant
 
1Sleeper's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3, 997tt, Jeep
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where I need to be

Posts: 384
iTrader: (1)

I had a weird problem like that with my E92 335. Driving along car started to feel odd. Passenger airbag light warning came on. Went away. Next day I am driving, same light..then the transmission warning, then the washer fluid, then pretty much all the lights. Car eventually started bucking losing power. Barely made it an area with a shoulder. After it was towed to the dealer and looked at, it turns out there was a leak in the rear fender lining and water had been shooting in to where the battery is, eventually causing a short. It had been raining the few days preceding this incident.
1Sleeper is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #16
Giccy
Captain
 
Giccy's Avatar
 
Drives: like he has much to learn
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 681
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NycE93M3 View Post
Also the car shuts down from time to time and I got this transmission warning last week ( the car shut off and I turned it back on , that error was on the screen and the car was driving about 10mph , while the gas was on the floor , then all of a sudden it kicked in really hard and started to drive normal)

OP, how did this get resolved? Everything on the level now?
Giccy is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #17
Michaeljh2000
Second Lieutenant
 
Michaeljh2000's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 M3, 69 Vette, GSXR 1000
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NoVA

Posts: 211
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NycE93M3 View Post
^ Yes and I took it in to get fix , they call me next day later said its CPU error , cleared it out gave me back the car , drive 5 blocks off the dealership lot and same thing happens -.-


took it back in this week , took a test drive with a tech , now they said they are going to reload the whole software for the car , lets see if that fixes it
Great! (sarcasm) The CPU fault was probably the result, not the cause. Keep us posted. I hate when the dealership doesn't know what to do so they just keep trying different things, hoping something will eventually work.
Michaeljh2000 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #18
Vybz
First Lieutenant
 
Vybz's Avatar
 
Drives: Adidas and Puma
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kitsap County, WA

Posts: 391
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [3.83]
Reading your description of the issue, my mind immediately jumps to a transmission issue, I would've started my troubleshooting there. I'm surprised the techs jumped to the ecu.
__________________
<><><><><><><><><><><>

BMWCCA Member # 459350
Audi B6 A4 - S O L D
Vybz is offline   Jamaica
0
Reply With Quote
      12-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #19
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
 
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

Posts: 7,863
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NycE93M3 View Post
Ok heres whats happening

Last week i was driving and then traffic started getting heavy , so as i slowed down to come to a full stop , and all of a sudden i feel a jerk from the back of the car, it felt like it was rear ended ,but not very hard, at 1st i thought it was that , but as i looked in my rear view i could see the headlights of the car behind me , so i figured it couldn't be that.

Yesterday the car started to driving funny , the gears were very slow to shift and it felt like the car was going really slow and driving slug-ish , didn't think much of it until i came to a light and the car felt like it was dying , and all of a sudden it shut down , and went into N , steering wheel and everything was just locked up,the shifter didn't move until i turned back the car on, so i drove home and parked up.Today i start it up and went for a drive and then i started to slow down to stop at a light and then the car started to slow down and i herd the engine shutting off , and then the service engine light came on along with the windshield washer fluid light , turn the car back on and then waited for the light to turn green , stepped on the gas lightly and the car wouldn't move , kept pressing for about 5 secs and then it just kicked really really hard , my whole neck snapped back , it felt as if truck hit me in the back , kept driving and i feel the difference in the car's performance , its going really slow and jerky

im going to call up my service guy and set up a date to get it checked out , i'm not even sure if i should keep driving it , cuz it feels really bad, what do you guys think is wrong? DCT problems?
From your description I have a feeling (mind you it's just a feeling) your problem may be a software issue or a fuel pump issue. Software may be malfunctioning that in turn is providing insufficient fuel to your engine or a fuel pump mechanical issue. Your dealer needs to test the car and locate the cause.

Do let us know what they find and how it is resolved. Your description of the issue is very clear it will be nice to know what the cause is. Do do come back and tell us.

Thanks and good luck in getting it resolved!
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #20
persian54
Lieutenant General
 
persian54's Avatar
 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

Posts: 15,797
iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///My5UV View Post
too new to be battery, but check the cables
No don't assume that.

You can have a bad battery even in a new car; I speak from experience.

But checking the cables is a great idea

Hope the car gets fixed!

Maybe it's a lemon??
persian54 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2011, 01:42 AM   #21
mahmud///M
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 M3 E92 Jerez Black
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Wild blue yonder

Posts: 151
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
You didn't sell yourself some bad gasoline did you?
Hope that was a joke thunder moose. Bad gas will never do that to a car, especially our cars, with such advanced ecus that can compensate for bad or good gas. He most likely has a tranny issue, programming. Take it to the dealer ASAP. You might get a whole new tranny if I'm not mistaken, but from what u say it sounds like your tranny isn't engaging properly
mahmud///M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2011, 01:47 AM   #22
mahmud///M
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 M3 E92 Jerez Black
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Wild blue yonder

Posts: 151
iTrader: (0)

Just read the rest of the posts, looks like I was right about the tranny.

Dude, for your own sake, don't bother with dealerships. Call BMW NA and deal with them. I'm surprised at how little these people who call themselves "techs" know about these cars. I swear, I knew more about cars when I was two years old than these guys. One time, the service MANAGER, upon doing my 1200 mile service said, "boy these V6s are one hell of an engine". I felt so embarrassed for him.

All in all, go to BMW NA. They are the ones who REALLY get shit done. Good luc
mahmud///M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST