BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #45
bnombe
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 E92M3 6MT/ZCP/JetBlkFoxRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce View Post
This isn't correct. Initially you are taught to have one smooth turn in and to move the wheel as little possible. However when you actually start going fast and the car starts sliding around under you, quick movements, even what most people would call sawing at the wheel become necessary.

Here, this is an AWD car on slicks at a very high speed track, so the car is much more settled on the power than the M3 in that video, however on entry especially, you can still see what I mean:
+1 Moving the steering wheel as necessary to keep the car in direction while sliding. Look at drivers like Fernando Alonso and Ayrton Senna, while qualifing the cars dance on approach and exit. May not be the most effective style over an entire race but one lap sprint its fastest.
Thanks for putting it into the context and that's what I understand and agree with as well. Wonder if the MDM is engaged in this lap or it's all driver and no computer in the DSC.

By the way, I wasn't implying the driver left time in his lap that would have put the M3 any significantly quicker around this attacking lap. Just though to ride on the track driving style discussion
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #46
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 Supra Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM

Right. Another video to reinforce that point. And yep, the vette time is remarkable.

The sawing through the esses

That was crazy...I felt uncomfortable just watching it! I'm pretty sure my life would have flashed before my eyes between 1:08 and 1:15 had I been in the passenger seat.

Former Car: '16 SUNBURST GOLD F80 ///M3--6MT/Carbon Cloth (ED Thread)
Former Car:'13 SANTORINI BLUE E92///M3--6MT/Speed Cloth/ZCP(ED Thread)
INSTAGRAM:@C2KMotorsports
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #47
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnombe View Post
Thanks for putting it into the context and that's what I understand and agree with as well. Wonder if the MDM is engaged in this lap or it's all driver and no computer in the DSC.
DSC is definitely off.

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #48
SBRIAN
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e93

Where is GTR?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #49
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Right. Another video to reinforce that point. And yep, the vette time is remarkable.

Leh is the F'ing man. That GTR in that video was on all season tires!!!!!!! While we're on the video thing..

Quote:
I dunno... it was my thought too that it wasn't very smooth attacking driving (not saying I am any smoother or quicker whatsoever). I think the above point: "when you actually start going fast and the car starts sliding around under you......" indicates when someone is actually over-driving the car. Also when the car slides around so much (there was a lot of that in this video) and abrupt correction, times are lost. Just my 2 cents

That is not true, cars are actually fastest at a certain slip angle, ideally all tires at the same angle. Overdriving for the most part reference someone overloading only two tires i.e.: oversteer or understeer. Either end of the car sliding in a direction different than the intended line is when you will lose time, not when all four are sliding on that line. When all four tires are sliding the car is obviously extremely on edge, requiring quick abrupt corrections to keep them at the same degree of slip. Check out the video of the M3 i posted at the bottom, it's the perfect video for this discussion. Same car, STICKIER tires and not just a pro driver, one of the absolute best in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
+1 Moving the steering wheel as necessary to keep the car in direction while sliding. Look at drivers like Fernando Alonso and Ayrton Senna, while qualifing the cars dance on approach and exit. May not be the most effective style over an entire race but one lap sprint its fastest.
In Ayrtons day of F1 this was very, very true. Modern F1 cars, and just downforce cars in general, are now producing so much downforce that the cars really just snap and slides are avoided at all cost. Gradual decrease of mechanical grip is a much different thing than a sudden loss of aero grip.

One last video then im done lol!!! This is another of Leh Keen, however he is actually driving an M3 on Pilot Sport Cups. Pay attention to his entries for the most part, he gives it its initial turn in and as the brakes are released the car actually requires ZERO steering many times.

KW V3's, Sparco Pro2000's, Vorshlag CP's, JB4, Heat Wrapped Raceland DP's, aFe stg. 2 Sealed Intake, Miro 111's, Hankook RS3's 225/245 (for now), Seibon M3 CF Hood, Turner Motorsports Alum. Radiator, Big Tom IC, BMW Performance bumper.

Last edited by Sauce; 02-11-2013 at 09:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #50
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post

Leh is the F'ing man. That GTR in that video was on all season tires!!!!!!! While we're on the video thing..

Quote:
I dunno... it was my thought too that it wasn't very smooth attacking driving (not saying I am any smoother or quicker whatsoever). I think the above point: "when you actually start going fast and the car starts sliding around under you......" indicates when someone is actually over-driving the car. Also when the car slides around so much (there was a lot of that in this video) and abrupt correction, times are lost. Just my 2 cents

That is not true, cars are actually fastest at a certain slip angle, ideally all tires at the same angle. Overdriving for the most part reference someone overloading only two tires i.e.: oversteer or understeer. Either end of the car sliding in a direction different than the intended line is when you will lose time, not when all four are sliding on that line. When all four tires are sliding the car is obviously extremely on edge, requiring quick abrupt corrections to keep them at the same degree of slip. Check out the video of the M3 i posted at the bottom, it's the perfect video for this discussion. Same car, STICKIER tires and not just a pro driver, one of the absolute best in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
In Ayrtons day of F1 this was very, very true. Modern F1 cars, and just downforce cars in general, are now producing so much downforce that the cars really just snap and slides are avoided at all cost. Gradual decrease of mechanical grip is a much different thing than a sudden loss of aero grip.

One last video then im done lol!!! This is another of Leh Keen, however he is actually driving an M3 on Pilot Sport Cups. Pay attention to his entries for the most part, he gives it its initial turn in and as the brakes are released the car actually requires ZERO steering many times.

Awesome videos and thank you for the great explanations love the way he passes the Porsche on a turn and then pits