BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

07-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #111
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
What about disabling one side of the stock amp woofer outputs to the lc2i? I think it was mentioned before. Would that limit the voltage spikes going into the lc2i?

If so do I just disable one side or do I bridge a right side positive with a left side negative?
Each side gets about the same peak voltage/power.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 12:48 AM   #112
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Each side gets about the same peak voltage/power.
Ok, thank you.

So what is it about another AMP that you think might help my situation?

And can you please explain to me how I can use my multimeter to check how many volts are coming out of the sub lines off your harness. It appears I can easily get to the output wires of the subwoofers by simply disconnecting the harness that either keeps them on, or with the extra included adapter your haness comes with will allow you to power them from another amp. I just dont know what setting on my multimeter to use to see what volts are coming out of my amp. Im just curious to see if my amp is pushing more volts than the 40v spikes they typically send out.

And not sure if I ever mentioned this... But I pulled power and ground to the LC2i directly off the AMP. I literally shoved the 12V wire from the LC2i into the AMP. And I did the same thing with the negative. The AMP has much larger wires going into it, but had enough room the AMP's input port holes to accommodate the thin wires that came off the LC2i. Could that have caused the LC2i any issues? I don't see why it would, but I'm no electrical engineer.

Sorry for all the questions. But this just doesn't make any sense why MINE appears to be the only one with issues.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #113
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
But as far as I can remember you dont drive your m3 everyday. I do...and I listen to music in it every day. So I probably have a lot more "miles" on my loc than you do.

I would monitor it at the least. Especially since Technic appears to have known it wasnt going to last long to begin with... Sigh!
I drive the car everyday and way more miles than you. I bet I have 3 times the miles on mine and my music is on 24/7 when I'm driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #114
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok, thank you.

And can you please explain to me how I can use my multimeter to check how many volts are coming out of the sub lines off your harness. It appears I can easily get to the output wires of the subwoofers by simply disconnecting the harness that either keeps them on, or with the extra included adapter your haness comes with will allow you to power them from another amp. I just dont know what setting on my multimeter to use to see what volts are coming out of my amp. Im just curious to see if my amp is pushing more volts than the 40v spikes they typically send out.

And not sure if I ever mentioned this... But I pulled power and ground to the LC2i directly off the AMP. I literally shoved the 12V wire from the LC2i into the AMP. And I did the same thing with the negative. The AMP has much larger wires going into it, but had enough room the AMP's input port holes to accommodate the thin wires that came off the LC2i. Could that have caused the LC2i any issues? I don't see why it would, but I'm no electrical engineer.

Sorry for all the questions. But this just doesn't make any sense why MINE appears to be the only one with issues.

Thank you.
Mine is powered the exact same way.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #115
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Ok, thank you.

Thank you.
- Record some 30Hz to 50Hz tones of about a minute in duration in a CD. There are several free MP3 tone generators in the Internetz.

- Set multimeter to VAC with a 50V range

- Play the CD and increase the volume until the output is maxed out or voltage exceeds 30V, whichever is first.

- That will be the output voltage of the OEM amp woofer outputs at the lowest frequencies/most power required.

Check again the LC2i settings, paying the most attention to this LC2i manual note:

Quote:
Turn the AccuBASS™ Level control fully down, rotate the threshold control fully clockwise to lock in the bass equalization. Now you can turn up the AccuBASS™ Level control for the amount of bass you want.
I would suggest setting the iDrive OEM Bass adjustment and EQ bands to mid level or even less and then boost the bass using the AccuBass level control only if required. Just set the threshold control fully clockwise.

Make sure that you install a 1A fuse on both the LC2i 12V and the remote in (OEM remote signal). Messing around these devices can provoke a short circuit. And once the OEM remote signal is gone, it will be gone from your CIC...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #116
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
- Record some 30Hz to 50Hz tones of about a minute in duration in a CD. There are several free MP3 tone generators in the Internetz.

- Set multimeter to VAC with a 50V range

- Play the CD and increase the volume until the output is maxed out or voltage exceeds 30V, whichever is first.

- That will be the output voltage of the OEM amp woofer outputs at the lowest frequencies/most power required.

Check again the LC2i settings, paying the most attention to this LC2i manual note:

I would suggest setting the iDrive OEM Bass adjustment and EQ bands to mid level or even less and then boost the bass using the AccuBass level control only if required. Just set the threshold control fully clockwise.

Make sure that you install a 1A fuse on both the LC2i 12V and the remote in (OEM remote signal). Messing around these devices can provoke a short circuit. And once the OEM remote signal is gone, it will be gone from your CIC...

Ok, thank you. I will run some tests when I get home to see what volts mine is spiking too.

My Accubass is OFF.

I have a 1amp fuse on the 12v, but not the remote. I will add one asap.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #117
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Ok, thank you. I will run some tests when I get home to see what volts mine is spiking too.

My Accubass is OFF.

I have a 1amp fuse on the 12v, but not the remote. I will add one asap.
There is a recessed, white knob on the side of the LC2i, that's the threshold. Is that knob all the way to the right?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #118
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
There is a recessed, white knob on the side of the LC2i, that's the threshold. Is that knob all the way to the right?
Correct.

Side dial full clockwise.

Top dial., full COUNTER clockwise.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #119
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Update:

Today my new sub box landed. I got one from Ken at Musiccar. What a nice piece! While I was at it, I took a short drive to my local car stereo shop and purchased JL Audio XD600.1 AMP because my current amp could not be hidden. It was just to big. I also busted out the LC2I again to see if it would play nice this time around. While I was at it, I moved my amp ground and redid all the wires from the amp to the LC2i since the two units are much closer to each other now under my trunk mat.

My LC2i has accubass OFF, bass booster OFF and my LC2i gain is about 10 o clock.

My JL 600.1 is set to 60hrts, with the gain also set to 10 o clock.

My cars EQ is flat. Bass and treble is also flat and it sounded pretty good. However I didn't drive it anywhere and I only listened to it for about 15-25 minutes before I had to wrap it up for the night.

I just hope it doesn't fluctuate in sound again once I actually drive the car and turn it on and off a couple times or do whatever is causing my stereo to do this.

I hope it works out! Or else Ive spent a lot of money on stuff that I for some reason can not run.

PS: How did you guys run your 12V and negative AMP wires from the battery into the trunk chubby? There is a sharp 1 inch wall between the two areas that I don't care for my wires to be laying across. Did you guys drill a hole or cut any of that out for a pass thru?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #120
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Just take the rear black panel off and run the wires from the battery along the back of the car into the area.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #121
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
Ok i took some pics
here is my amp gain
I marked the minimum and maximum and the current level in red

and here is the LC2i gain, also highlighted the current settings in red

Is that the 600.1 amp? If so, my settings (Lc2i too) are identical to yours. Except my slope is at 12db. According to the manual, 12db is typically better when the sub is behind a deck lid and or rear seat wall. I was running 24bd, but switched it to 12bd and I think its carries into the cab better.

Thanks for the pics!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #122
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Sucks you have to go back to the LC2i.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #123
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Update 2:

Well, I got to work today and I didnt smell anything burning, nor did my bass fade out. I think its too soon to tell just yet, but its a nice start. It actually sounds really good.

I also spoke with Audio Controls today and explained to them what Ive experienced so far. They confirmed that accubass OFF is in fact threshold full RIGHT and top dial full LEFT. They also told me that I could try some resistors between the speaker level inputs into the LC2i.

Here is a pic (it says LCQ1, but is same for LC2i) describing what resistor to get and how to install them. For now, I think I will just run mine like normal and sharply monitor it for smell, heat and or bass fade. The second I notice any of the above; is when I will add the resistors to see if it helps. They said it should pretty much solve any over voltage issue. Im going to radio shack to pick these resistors up so I have them ready to go.

I'll report back later.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #124
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
i run my wires up with the OEM bundle
then down along the line where the grey padded stuff meets the rear seat
ground i am using one of the 2 10mm bolts that hold the sat radio metal sleeve on the left side of the trunk
      07-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #125
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Is that the 600.1 amp? If so, my settings (Lc2i too) are identical to yours. Except my slope is at 12db. According to the manual, 12db is typically better when the sub is behind a deck lid and or rear seat wall. I was running 24bd, but switched it to 12bd and I think its carries into the cab better.

Thanks for the pics!
i tried both
24db sounded better
keep in mind the slope of the crossover also affects phase
so there is a 90 degree phase difference between the 2
maybe that 90 degree difference made my sub match my speakers
not sure
i did try 12 and 24db and i tried reversing the polarity
this sounded best

and yes that's a xd600/1
kick ass amp
600 wats going to my sub
and the amp barely gets hot, and its mounted under the trunk carpet
doesn't get better
      07-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #126
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
i run my wires up with the OEM bundle
then down along the line where the grey padded stuff meets the rear seat
ground i am using one of the 2 10mm bolts that hold the sat radio metal sleeve on the left side of the trunk

Cool, thanks man. I opted to place my JL 600.1 and LC2i in the trunk chubby. That was I can simply lift the lid and adjust as needed. But I like what you did too. I just want both items next to each other.

I just want to get the 12V from the battery into the chubby without it laying across that sharp edge.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #127
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
i tried both
24db sounded better
keep in mind the slope of the crossover also affects phase
so there is a 90 degree phase difference between the 2
maybe that 90 degree difference made my sub match my speakers
not sure
i did try 12 and 24db and i tried reversing the polarity
this sounded best

and yes that's a xd600/1
kick ass amp
600 wats going to my sub
and the amp barely gets hot, and its mounted under the trunk carpet
doesn't get better
Oh, gotcha. I just repeated what the manual said about the slope. But its a preference thing for sure. Wait... your sub is literally pointing at the passthru. I guess it would make sense for you to use 12db since its not much to for the woofer to push thru.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #128
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Oh, gotcha. I just repeated what the manual said about the slope. But its a preference thing for sure. Wait... your sub is literally pointing at the passthru. I guess it would make sense for you to use 12db since its not much to for the woofer to push thru.
No that's my old setup
I'm now using this
And I just got another enclosure for the left side
Was it you I was arguing with about subwoofer on either side facing each and whether they cancel our or not?

07-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #129
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Was it you I was arguing with about subwoofer on either side facing each and whether they cancel our or not?

No, that was me.

What did you get for the other side?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #130
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
No, that was me.

What did you get for the other side?
Similar box
10" as well
Except I can't find a good deal on a 10w3v3 2 ohm version
So at this stage the right side is 2 ohm and the left side is 4 ohm
Not ideal but at this point I just want to try left side only and see I'd there is a difference in sound
      07-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #131
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Similar box
10" as well
Except I can't find a good deal on a 10w3v3 2 ohm version
So at this stage the right side is 2 ohm and the left side is 4 ohm
Not ideal but at this point I just want to try left side only and see I'd there is a difference in sound
Who makes it?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #132
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post