BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

12-12-2015, 02:00 PM   #1
BrokerBMR
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Question New "Universal Android" Snap-in Adapter For My Samsung Galaxy S5 Doesn't Work!

FYI. We bought our new car in 7/2015 and have not been able to take advantage of the $200 Smartphone cradle that is taking up room in our center console. The BMW genius dept. just told me that our snap in adapter for our S5 smartphones just was released by BMW in a "universal adapter" way.

Here is my return email that I just sent to BMW Genius: The new, just released, BMW Universal Android Snap In Adapter does not have a "connector" that fits our two Android Samsung Galaxy S5 phones, even though it was supposed to! So, it is not "universal" to the S5 according to Matt T., the BMW mechanic at BMW of Myrtle Beach, SC. who tried to install it earlier today. Please call the Service Mgr., Mike M., at that dealer to confirm what I just said. Also, that mechanic said that with the "Universal" model, even if it had the right connector for the S5, would not be just a "snap in" to the adapter situation. He said that there would be a small cable that would be needed for it to work. This, in our opinion, defeats the purpose of having a clean "snap in" situation which we were led to believe would happen when we paid the $200 for the cradle (that can't be easily removed,according to the mechanic). Please let me know if BMW is ever going to come out with a SPECIFIC snap in adapter for our S5 female connector, like you have for the S4 and the S3 Android models?

Here are the current Samsung Android models of adapters currently online:
BMW Samsung Galaxy Music/Media Snap In Adapter / Samsung Galaxy S2
BMW Samsung Galaxy Music/Media Snap In Adapter / Samsung Galaxy S3
BMW Samsung Galaxy Music/Media Snap In Adapter / Samsung Galaxy S3 mini
BMW Samsung Galaxy Music/Media Snap In Adapter / Samsung Galaxy S4

12/19/15 UPDATE: My service dealer never got install instructions from corporate, but now that they were called by "Hans" at corporate, they got it to work. However, here is what I just emailed Stephan Reiff (VP AFTERSALES NORTH AMERICA):
"So, when Hans (BMW Genius) called me and left a message that he is sure the universal adaptor does work, we went back to our dealer today, only to find out that the "blue wire" that Hans said was needed to install the adaptor properly sticks out over the very small space to the side of the cradle/adaptor. It gets in the way of putting you hand down into that already narrow space to get at other things people have stored in the center console. We may be able to train the wire to go under the S5 smartphone eventually, but we feel that it is kind of "insult to the injury" of our long wait, and failed first attempt to get the universal adaptor to work, that BMW corporate has now reduced the prices of all the other "more clean install" adaptors for the S2, S3, and S4 Samsung models to $100, but the universal model for the S5 is $200! I must say, that while Nick R. and Hans were professional in their communication with me, the last phone message that Hans left me said that the dealers determine the prices of the adaptors. The dealer disagrees and so do I. I don't know why Hans said that when the BMW USA website shows the prices of "no wire, direct connect" S2, S3, and S4 models as NOW ONLY $100. With my selling dealer in Greenville (SC) not informing me upfront about the adaptor delay (after paying them $200 for the cradle), and my service dealer in Myrtle Beach (SC) not getting install instructions which caused us both to waste our time, I am asking that BMW corporate reduce the price of the universal adaptor to the same price as the more consumer desireable earlier model adaptors = $100. If BMW corporate was more into good PR, they should send out a communication to all BMW owners that have had the same frustrating experience as we have, and send them a universal adaptor for free. But, that's up to the CEO, I guess.

Anyway, thanks for listening to my constructive suggestion. I hope you take it that way."

Last edited by BrokerBMR; 12-19-2015 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: Adaptor Does Work, But Not "Clean" Install
Appreciate 0