BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

09-22-2009, 07:43 PM   #67
Koroush
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
I'm fully convinced that the cameras are not there for safety. If they want safety they should adjust the yellow light timing. It's a proven fact that adjusting the yellow correctly will nearly eliminate red-light running. Cameras, in fact, do increase the rear-end accident rate at these lights.

What good are the cameras? It's pretty simple -- they bring in money to the local government and the camera producers. I'm sure the politicians know this but with budgets in these times being constrained so much, it's hard to resist and do the right thing.
How do we fight it?

It's possible, we just need many people to agree. (in this economy, i think it would be easy.)
      09-22-2009, 08:32 PM   #68
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

It is actually very well known that red light cameras INCREASE accidents at intersections at least initially (3-6months). Talking about mainly rear end collision. Also well known that they make money. This is a kind of road tax nothing else.
By the way the US is full of unnecessary, sometimes dangerous stop signs. People here tend not to look around at all, not to use turn signal but use their cell phones all the time while driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 06:44 AM   #69
Heat00
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
Just curious: Does that clear spray stuff actually work?
I haven't tried it but friends here have it and claim it does work. I believe it does something in the way of relfectiveness, I'm no scientist but if in fact the camera does not get a clear shot of the letters/numbers on the plate, no way they can give you a ticket as they have no idea who you are or where to send the ticket
in theory it sounds good

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 08:12 AM   #70
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat00 View Post
I haven't tried it but friends here have it and claim it does work. I believe it does something in the way of relfectiveness, I'm no scientist but if in fact the camera does not get a clear shot of the letters/numbers on the plate, no way they can give you a ticket as they have no idea who you are or where to send the ticket
in theory it sounds good
Heat - technically... the clear spray acts as a polarising layer on your plates. Because of the nature of traffic cams (exposed to a lot of sunlight) the lenses need to be polarised to protect the CCD. As such, a polarised lense is used to filter the light.

The clear spray adds a polarising layer above your plate and the net effect is seemingly blacked out plates.

Believe it or not, but hairspray can actually do this for you, only problem is that hairspray will eat the paint off the licence plate.
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 08:22 AM   #71
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenderm3 View Post
Heat - technically... the clear spray acts as a polarising layer on your plates. Because of the nature of traffic cams (exposed to a lot of sunlight) the lenses need to be polarised to protect the CCD. As such, a polarised lense is used to filter the light.

The clear spray adds a polarising layer above your plate and the net effect is seemingly blacked out plates.

Believe it or not, but hairspray can actually do this for you, only problem is that hairspray will eat the paint off the licence plate.
Interesting.....

I may have to order a bottle......Not the hairspray, but the pro stuff.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #72
Stunnerable
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan Rogue, 09 Jet Black M3

Read this guys: http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/15/1582.asp

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 07:54 PM   #73
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:

Polarizing lenses must be at 90 degrees oreintation to each other to block light. Any idea how a spray on application orients the polarization?

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 08:27 PM   #74
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Seems as if a lack of paint on the plate will also make it hard to read.
      09-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #75
penny31
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m4 - Austin Yellow

79? thats nothing. its over 200 dollars here in california

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #76
blu330ciracer
Rep
Drives: BMW 330ci Steel Blue

Not sure if it would help much- but the link in my Signature might actually help you fight it if there is any way of fighting the ticket.... What I do know is that if you contested the ticket by saying that you were not the person driving the car- you would need to actually reveal who the person was driving the car.... So I'm not sure who you would want to claim in that case.
http://************/DismissedCitation
Appreciate 0