BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #1
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

Opinions of USAA auto insurance.

I’ve been a USAA member for 20 years, and until a few years ago, no other company could even come close to USAA's rates.

I recently got a Geico quote and they were within a few hundred dollars (annually) of USAA. I was pleasantly surprised by Geico's quote and quite disappointed in USAA. I’m now rethinking my association with USAA.

In my opinion, USAA definitely isn't as good (or as competitive) as it once was. I think it has a lot to do with USAA’s ever-expanding risk pool over the last decade.

In order to increase revenues, the USAA Board of Directors decided to let anyone with the slightest link to the U.S. military join now, so the long-time members are now paying for it with significantly increased rates.

I think it’s a shame that the money-oriented USAA Board of Directors have debased the once great Mutual Association of U.S. military officers…

What’s your opinion of the “new” USAA?
      02-09-2010, 09:32 AM   #2
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Still the best. Overall, looking at their entire coverages, show me anything better - there's not.
      02-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
Still the best. Overall, looking at their entire coverages, show me anything better - there's not.
I didn't say USAA wasn't still the best (for the time being anyway). What I said was they're definitely not as competitive as they once were, and other auto insurance companies are catching up to USAA’s pricing and service.
      02-09-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
My family has always used Geico and when I PCS'd from Germany to the U.S., Geico's quote was lower than USAA's. I love USAA and have never had a problem with them and while it would be more convienent for me to simply have everything with them, Geico has never let us down.
      02-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

I was in insurance a few years ago and worked sold for several big companies and we could never touch USAA. Anytime anyone called that had it I would tell them to go away and stop trying I know, I was a fantastic salesmen
      02-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

USAA, State Farm, & Amica are the companies to have.

Geico is bottom barrel company and I'd not want them "protecting" me.
      02-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
Kylekuu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi, 84 318i

idk, i was in the military so membership is easier(i dunno whats so exclusive anyways). But their quote were ridiculous for me, no matter where i was. In CA they wanted something like 3k, on east coast it was even more. And i don't think it changed much when i went to wisconsin when i checked. I've stayed with progressive for the most part, and they have pretty good service at least i think so. I've been in 2 car accidents where it was other party at fault. I just claim my own and have them talk to the other company. Both times they took care of everything for me, i didn't have to do anything, so nothing but good thoughts about them
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
Ender514
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

i think they are great. ive had them since i could drive. i got it through my father who got it through his dad.

but i agree they might not be as competitive as they once were. my grandfather called recently for a quote...hes a korean war vet...and they were over $1000 a year more than what hes currently paying.
      02-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #9
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec 1 View Post
USAA, State Farm, & Amica are the companies to have.

Geico is bottom barrel company and I'd not want them "protecting" me.
Wow, did you google JDPower to come up with that one? Geico is owned by Berkshire Hathaway...you know Warren Buffet runs that company, don't you? He doesn't deal with "bottom barrel" companies. Hell, the company was started by someone who worked for USAA. You don't have a clue of what you're talking about.

Last edited by ArmyBimmerDude; 02-09-2010 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

I've been with USAA Auto Insurance for 17 years and while not as good as they used to be, they are still better than all others I've compared them with. One of our vehicles were parked at a McDonalds & was hit by an unlicensed/uninsured driver who fled. USAA went after them and we recv'd a check a year later + for the deductable.

Banking loan rates stink and their overall customer service is now just OK. Opening it up to everyone with any type of family military affiliation definitly increased risk.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #11
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
Wow, did you google JDPower to come up with that one? Geico is owned by Berkshire Hathaway...you know Warren Buffet runs that company, don't you? He doesn't deal with "bottom barrel" companies. Hell, the company was started by someone who worked for USAA. You don't have a clue of what you're talking about.
Actually I'm an insurance agent licensed in dual states for 6+ years now. So know what you're talking about before making accusations, numb nut. I stand by my statement.
      02-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #12
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Actually I'm an insurance agent licensed in dual states for 6+ years now. So know what you're talking about before making accusations, numb nut. I stand by my statement.
Well if you are one, you're obviously not a very good one based on that comment. Also if you're going to try to call me names, it's "numbnuts" genius. Stand by whatever you want, you're wrong and sadly it doesn't take an insurance agent to know that lol.
      02-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #13
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well if you are one, you're obviously not a very good one based on that comment. Also if you're going to try to call me names, it's "numbnuts" genius. Stand by whatever you want, you're wrong and sadly it doesn't take an insurance agent to know that lol.
Tool. Opinions on the internet are like assholes. I have credentials, you don't. End of story.
      02-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #14
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

usaa was more expensive than the other big carriers for us up until a recently, that's when we switched to them.

Your age and location have a lot to do with it, geico may be trying to increase business in your area/age group

Last edited by imported_mega; 02-10-2010 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #15
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Tool. Opinions on the internet are like assholes. I have credentials, you don't. End of story.
Actually it's not the "end of story". We're all still waiting for you to present facts instead of your bullshit opinions. Credentials lol you're an insurance salesman. Get over yourself tough guy, cause you impress no one.
      02-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #16
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

usaa's insurance has been great for me. i've recently switched to another insurance, but their coverage was by far greater than what i have now. i think the thing that bit me more than everything was the coverage for GAP.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #17
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually it's not the "end of story". We're all still waiting for you to present facts instead of your bullshit opinions. Credentials lol you're an insurance salesman. Get over yourself tough guy, cause you impress no one.
Applicable specifically to Northwest states, end of 2007 document. Only factual evidence I have on hand atm.

Edit: How old are you by the way? If I'm arguing with some teenager on the internet I'm going to facepalm myself.
      02-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #18
mocsman
Second Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3

Quote:
Applicable specifically to Northwest states, end of 2007 document. Only factual evidence I have on hand atm.

Edit: How old are you by the way? If I'm arguing with some teenager on the internet I'm going to facepalm myself.
any other lists based on consumer satisfaction? not all shops have the consumers best interest in mind.... i've always been a satisfied geico customer and i'm sure i'm not the only one here. i appreciate the info though.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #19
chd2
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3 DCT

No hard data here, but we lost a car in Ike. It was 3 months old, about 7k on the clock. USAA paid it out, no questions asked, for more than I paid for the car.

I must say I was both shocked and impressed.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 08:24 AM   #20
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocsman View Post
any other lists based on consumer satisfaction? not all shops have the consumers best interest in mind.... i've always been a satisfied geico customer and i'm sure i'm not the only one here. i appreciate the info though.
I agree. The attached insurance trade publication article failed to mention anything about cost/benefit analysis for similar coverage or customer (insuree) satisfaction. Whether the contracted auto repair shop gets reimbursed in 2, 4, or 6 weeks by the rated insurance company is completely irrelevant to the insuree…