BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-07-2017, 09:13 PM   #1
M43S7RO
Major
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

EDC strut install question

When tightening the strut top nut, is okay to tighten the 10mm shaft and hold the nut? DIYs I've read have the shaft being held in place and the nut tightened and not sure if it matters.

My tools make it much easier to hold the nut and tighten the shaft.

Only reason I can think it would matter is because of the EDC electrical connections possibly being wound inside of the dampner assembly by tightening the shaft. Any input is much appreciated.

Last edited by M43S7RO; 08-07-2017 at 10:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 08:22 PM   #2
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

I wouldn't recommend this. The piston rod shaft does not spin freely in the strut tube so you are placing a lot of torque on the hollow 10mm shaft. I snapped the top off a solid rear piston shaft on my previous BMW doing this.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 09:33 PM   #3
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
I wouldn't recommend this. The piston rod shaft does not spin freely in the strut tube so you are placing a lot of torque on the hollow 10mm shaft. I snapped the top off a solid rear piston shaft on my previous BMW doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M43S7RO View Post
When tightening the strut top nut, is okay to tighten the 10mm shaft and hold the nut? DIYs I've read have the shaft being held in place and the nut tightened and not sure if it matters.

My tools make it much easier to hold the nut and tighten the shaft.

Only reason I can think it would matter is because of the EDC electrical connections possibly being wound inside of the dampner assembly by tightening the shaft. Any input is much appreciated.

I've done it multiple times. Hold the strut nut with the box wrench and use the 10mm socket attached to a torque wrench to tighten. I set mine to 50ft/lbs.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183005
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 10:33 PM   #4
M43S7RO
Major
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

Thanks for the info fellas!