BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

Mporium BMW

06-20-2009, 08:24 AM   #23
Poofyo101
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
1990 BMW M3  [0.00]
^^speaks the words of wisdom
      06-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #24
pl388
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry3 View Post
If the damage is properly repaired by paintless removal the car will look as good as it did before, and the fact that it had previous damage becomes immaterial. Carfax will not pick this up, those reports disclose very little and are, to be honest, a complete joke.

Under NC law, your selling dealer would have no obligation to disclose this damage to a future purchaser (it's under the statutory threshold). Edit: Just saw you're buying out of state, so who knows what their disclosure law is.

As an aside, the dealer is likely not filing an insurance claim for such a small amount of damage.

This whole thing seems more than silly to me. I would understand the concern about hail damage on a new, dark colored '09 model. If this E90 is Silver and 18K off it's probably one of the dealer's lauch cars, which at this point have been sitting on the lot for over a year. I expect the car has a minimum of several hundred hard miles on it as well.

You're getting a massive discount on a car that, prior to the hail, was "new," but certainly not perfect. You guys saying that all "new" cars should be perfect are crazy. I can assure you that no "new" car that sits outside for a year at a dealer is perfect. If you want a perfect car, order a new '09 off the truck and pay the premium for it. If you want a great deal, buy the demo. And if you want to use this to try to beat the dealer up even more on the price, knock yourself out. But legally your only right is to rescind your contract, and I expect the dealer will let you do that and walk from the deal before it drops the price of the car another cent.

When you're buying a car, you can't have it all. Decide what's important to you, make sure you're ok with the compromises, and run with it. But make sure you have a way home in case you get more surprises with this car, as I expect you may. Let us know what happens, and I hope everything works out.
Nicely written and I appreciate your response.

Yes, it is a launch car and has under 100 miles on it. I don't expect a brand new car to be perfect especially since it's been on the lot for over a year but I do expect the car not to have dents ... which hopefully it will not after the repair.

More surprises on a new car? What else could potentially be wrong? The sales person knows I'm flying in so I would hope there would be full disclosure.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 12:07 PM   #25
DarthDingo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW X5 4.8is

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl388 View Post
I'm looking at a new 08 E90 M3 and have a signed contract for about 18k off MSRP.

While they were detailing/preparing the car for me they noticed the car had hail damage. The salesperson told me the dents are very tiny and can only be seen in certain lighting (color of car is Silverstone).

There's a couple of dents on the hood and trunk and about 15 dents on the roof. No damage to the side of the car.

The dealership has pulled the headliner and is at the paintless dent place being repaired.

I figure it takes about 4 hours to remove the headliner (car has sunroof) and another 4 hours to put it back after the PDR. Let's assume paintless dent costs $700 plus the $800 (8 hours X $100 hr) from the BMW service department. Total damage let's assume is $1500.

So, even though the car will be repaired, how much more should the dealer deduct from the price of the car?

Thanks!

Your getting a brand new 2008 E90 m3 for $18k off MSRP ? That is a killer deal. So like lower $40k's ? Dang, any other deals like that around ?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 12:51 PM   #26
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDingo View Post
Your getting a brand new 2008 E90 m3 for $18k off MSRP ? That is a killer deal. So like lower $40k's ? Dang, any other deals like that around ?
He probably got 18k off a near-loaded one so thats more like 50k, but yeah there probably are a few left if you aren't too picky about options.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241705

Also you can order a brand new 2009 spec'd how you want at about 10k off MSRP if you do ED, and about 5k off if you do US delivery.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 01:22 AM   #27
Angry3
All your 1 are belong to us!!!
Rep
Drives: '08 135i 'Vert

Quote:
Nicely written and I appreciate your response.

Yes, it is a launch car and has under 100 miles on it. I don't expect a brand new car to be perfect especially since it's been on the lot for over a year but I do expect the car not to have dents ... which hopefully it will not after the repair.

More surprises on a new car? What else could potentially be wrong? The sales person knows I'm flying in so I would hope there would be full disclosure.

Thanks.
I flew in as well, and there were a couple of small issues with the car that my CA wouldn't have known about. When you're flying in driving out you're stuck to a degree, so if things like paint defects and other wear and tear bother you be careful.

So did you get the car?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 09:01 AM   #28
pl388
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry3 View Post
I flew in as well, and there were a couple of small issues with the car that my CA wouldn't have known about. When you're flying in driving out you're stuck to a degree, so if things like paint defects and other wear and tear bother you be careful.

So did you get the car?
Car is still at the PDR. That is another reason I want an additional discount just in case there are some small issues.

I just hope that they are able to remove all the dings and are able to put the headliner back properly.

I'm guessing you didn't buy the car?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #29
Angry3
All your 1 are belong to us!!!
Rep
Drives: '08 135i 'Vert

Quote:
Car is still at the PDR. That is another reason I want an additional discount just in case there are some small issues.

I just hope that they are able to remove all the dings and are able to put the headliner back properly.

I'm guessing you didn't buy the car?
No, I bought it, it was one of the fire sale leases over the winter and was a good enough deal that I would probably taken it even if someone had keyed their name in the driver's door

The problems weren't really significant, just paint issues that I was able to correct and some pretty bad corrosion on the rear wheel hubs that I still have to deal with. With my car being a lease I wasn't quite as picky about the cosmetic issues, though I wanted to have a car that I could and would want to buy out in 3 years if that ends up making sense.

My main point was that doing an out-of-state deal can be problematic if you're real particular about condition (as I am and it sounds like you are). With a local deal you have a lot of leverage to get the dealer to make the car (or deal) right if there's a problem, that isn't true when you're doing an already thin deal with an out of state dealer that doesn't expect to get your service business or referrals.

I'd say just keep expectations in check and don't lose sight of the fact that on a percentage basis these remaining '08s represent the last of the most heavily discounted new M cars in history.

Let us know how things go!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #30
pl388
Rep

Update

The sales guy has assured me the car has been repaired and has been detailed again and sitting on the showroom floor. He is very confident I will be happy with the car now.

I tried to get them to throw in the 5 yr wheel and tire warranty (no deductible, no max) for free but they are not willing to take more of a loss.

They are willing to sell the warranty at cost for $660 (list is $1095) and will throw in M3 mats, touch up paint and wheel locks.

As mentioned it's a Silverstone on Fox Red extended leather with the launch car options. MSRP of $66 945 ... my price is $48 500 plus TT&L.

Should I go for it?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 01:07 PM   #31
Alumac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: prudently

Quote:
The sales guy has assured me the car has been repaired and has been detailed again and sitting on the showroom floor. He is very confident I will be happy with the car now.

I tried to get them to throw in the 5 yr wheel and tire warranty (no deductible, no max) for free but they are not willing to take more of a loss.

They are willing to sell the warranty at cost for $660 (list is $1095) and will throw in M3 mats, touch up paint and wheel locks.

As mentioned it's a Silverstone on Fox Red extended leather with the launch car options. MSRP of $66 945 ... my price is $48 500 plus TT&L.

Should I go for it?
If you have to ask an internet forum whether or not to buy a car, you probably shouldn't IMHO. That being said, a discount of $18, 445 for waiting a year seems like a good deal to me.
Appreciate 0