BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-13-2009, 03:52 PM   #23
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Depending on the field I guess, what college you go to doesn't really matter, it is your own knowledge... in my experience at least.

I think about anyone who "tried" in highschool and whose parents have 250K a year to blow on college could go to Harvard, I could be wrong though, doesn't seem too special to me.

I'd like to know who is making 80+ stright out of school at this point in time... I'm a little skeptic. Unless you know people and have a masters/doctorate.
MDs make high 40s low 50s straight out of school as interns, goes up to the 60s as you finish residency

PhDs make some where between 50-70 depending on the position, researchers tend to make less

Masters depend on what field it is, Engineering / Business would make more money
      01-13-2009, 04:05 PM   #24
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
MDs make high 40s low 50s straight out of school as interns, goes up to the 60s as you finish residency

PhDs make some where between 50-70 depending on the position, researchers tend to make less

Masters depend on what field it is, Engineering / Business would make more money
Okay, sorry, without spending 8-12 years in college... A neurosugeon will start well over 100K I am aware, but it is like 16 years of college. Not worth it IMO.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #25
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

The unabomber 'Ted Kazinsky' was a Harvard Graduate, bet some of you guys didnt know that..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 04:19 PM   #26
kronzprinz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

theres a fine line between genius and insanity
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #27
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

As others have pointed out it depends greatly on what field you're in, but I can say that in Science and Engineering your choice of school only has a secondary effect on your professional success. By that I mean that if you are bright and apply yourself you'll likely succeed regardless, and similarly if you're lazy and dumb as a post you'll likely fail.

Where the school helps though, is in distinguishing you from the herd in initial evaluations. If 100 foks apply for a position and the hiring manager is looking for a way to winnow down to a few candidates they may very well say, "Oh he/she's from Harvard/MIT/etc, let's at least give them an interview". Also, later in your career you will likely find that if you went to a high end school lots of your old drinking buddies will now be bigwigs in various organizations. This can be a big help in getting your foot in the door.

Other than that you can get just as good an education (at least at the undergrad level) at a small no-name school as you can at the Ivyest of the Ivy Leagues.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 05:49 PM   #28
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjafari View Post
The unabomber 'Ted Kazinsky' was a Harvard Graduate, bet some of you guys didnt know that..
Harvard undergrad, but PhD from UMich-Ann Arbor, was a professor at UC-Berkeley before he turned crazy
      01-13-2009, 05:52 PM   #29
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Okay, sorry, without spending 8-12 years in college... A neurosugeon will start well over 100K I am aware, but it is like 16 years of college. Not worth it IMO.
Fastest way to become a neurosurgeon = 7 year combined BS / MD program, straight into residency for 7 years, you'd be making well more than 100K but you'd have to work really hard doing a lot of spine cases.
      01-13-2009, 05:54 PM   #30
kuvesh
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: e92 335i juiced

depends.

for example, you work for a large MNC or accounting firm or bank, base salary is all the same for graduates.

the difference is getting the job - its easier for people with big names schools because there is the perception they are higher quality. some of the smaller schools get weeded out by hr even the applications get to the real decision makers

HAMANN FRONT APRON, SIDES, ROOF SPOILER & QUAD DIFFUSER | VORSTEINER VRS TRUNK | CSC3 ON 19” ADVAN RS | BREMBO GT BBK | BASTUCK QUAD | KW V2 | JB3 v1.3s beta | BMW PERFORMANCE STEERING WHEEL | M3 SIDE MIRRORS | M5 SMG SHIFT KNOB | BLACKOUT GRILLS | PARTIALLY SMOKED LIGHTS | WINDOW TINT
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #31
H2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LSB E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
Where the school helps though, is in distinguishing you from the herd in initial evaluations. If 100 foks apply for a position and the hiring manager is looking for a way to winnow down to a few candidates they may very well say, "Oh he/she's from Harvard/MIT/etc, let's at least give them an interview". Also, later in your career you will likely find that if you went to a high end school lots of your old drinking buddies will now be bigwigs in various organizations. This can be a big help in getting your foot in the door.
+1 on this from both experience as someone looking for a job and as a hiring manager. It can be a quick unofficial tiebreaker.
      01-13-2009, 08:06 PM   #32
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronzprinz View Post
shouldn't matter but it does, also depends on field.

IMHO, i'll hire any hungry kid from any school as oppose to some snotty brat, that has had everything handed to him, from wharton or harvard any day.
I believe Gordon Gekko said in the best in Wall Street: "Most of these Harvard MBA types, they dont add up to dog shit."

lol...such a good movie!
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 08:31 PM   #33
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

Quote:
Depending on the field I guess, what college you go to doesn't really matter, it is your own knowledge... in my experience at least.

I think about anyone who "tried" in highschool and whose parents have 250K a year to blow on college could go to Harvard, I could be wrong though, doesn't seem too special to me.

I'd like to know who is making 80+ stright out of school at this point in time... I'm a little skeptic. Unless you know people and have a masters/doctorate.
sister went to pharmacy school was in school for 5 year and just finished...shes making 110k on her first job

i don't think pharmacy is a doctorate though i don't know i never understood the rankings lol
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #34
number335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe

Quote:
It does matter, because better known universities have better alumni network so you can connect with people that are actually higher up and doing the hiring.

I don't get the idea of people wanting a stress free job that pays well. Is work ethics gone? I mean you get paid for how much / hard you worked. You don't go out shoot the breeze with a bunch of people, click the mouse a few times and expect to earn 300K a year. See what happened to all the fund managers on Wall St when the market crumbled?
I agree with you to a point. You need to work hard to earn your keep. But there is a difference between working hard and being stressed. You don't have to be stressed to work hard and you don't have to work hard to be stressed. If you have a passion for your job, you can work you ass off and enjoy what you are doing. But there are jobs that people feel are uninspiring that require a high level of responsibility/decision making that don't make the job worth doing...except that it pays the bills.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #35
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
sister went to pharmacy school was in school for 5 year and just finished...shes making 110k on her first job

i don't think pharmacy is a doctorate though i don't know i never understood the rankings lol
All pharmacy program in the US are doctorate, as in PharmD, Doctor of Pharmacy. However, it's considered a first professional degree, just like MD, DMD, DDS, DVM, etc. The only catch is that you don't need to have a Bachelor's degree to apply to a PharmD program. A lot of people would do two years of college in the pre-pharm program and then apply to pharmacy school.

As you said, retail pharmacy is a very lucrative job. It's highly repetitive and from talking to some of the pharmacists, they don't derive much job satisfaction from it. However, since it pays well for what they do, they usually stick and seldom switch back to being a clinical pharmacist in a hospital.
      01-13-2009, 08:39 PM   #36
SR71M3
Black Bird
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Alma Mater: Yale University, Harvard Business School
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 08:42 PM   #37
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

Quote:
All pharmacy program in the US are doctorate, as in PharmD, Doctor of Pharmacy. However, it's considered a first professional degree, just like MD, DMD, DDS, DVM, etc. The only catch is that you don't need to have a Bachelor's degree to apply to a PharmD program. A lot of people would do two years of college in the pre-pharm program and then apply to pharmacy school.

As you said, retail pharmacy is a very lucrative job. It's highly repetitive and from talking to some of the pharmacists, they don't derive much job satisfaction from it. However, since it pays well for what they do, they usually stick and seldom switch back to being a clinical pharmacist in a hospital.
ahh thanks for making that clear i never bothered to ask her but she does tell me its a rather boring job but with all the $$$ its easy to see why people go for it
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 08:44 PM   #38
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71M3 View Post
Alma Mater: Yale University, Harvard Business School
LOL'ed, he went to high school in Andover, MA
      01-13-2009, 08:46 PM   #39
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

From what I've learned, if you don't have experience, universities don't mean shit. You can be from MIT and have the highest GPA, but if you're going against an applicant from a shit school, but with LOADS of experience, more than likely he'll get the job. Companies mainly look for experience, not really GPA unless they're looking for internships. Then it is all about the school and GPA.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 08:48 PM   #40
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
ahh thanks for making that clear i never bothered to ask her but she does tell me its a rather boring job but with all the $$$ its easy to see why people go for it
It's good money after all. Why not do it? You get in, fill all the meds, make all the calls to the insurance, answer a couple questions, man the register and get out at night, on time. 100+K for this? It's like a dream job coming straight out of school.

In comparison, physicians would have to endure through the abuse of residency, getting paid 40-60K for 3-10 years, and work 80 hours a week.
      01-13-2009, 08:49 PM   #41
SR71M3
Black Bird
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
LOL'ed, he went to high school in Andover, MA
Where he was the head cheerleader senior year
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 08:49 PM   #42
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
From what I've learned, if you don't have experience, universities don't mean shit. You can be from MIT and have the highest GPA, but if you're going against an applicant from a shit school, but with LOADS of experience, more than likely he'll get the job. Companies mainly look for experience, not really GPA unless they're looking for internships. Then it is all about the school and GPA.
That might be true, but it seems like we are comparing fresh grads or at least people with similar experience. Also, usually shit school does not have a good alumni network for you to socialize anyways.
      01-13-2009, 08:50 PM   #43
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71M3 View Post
Where he was the head cheerleader senior year
Where'd you find that? Wiki? I just learned about that from my patient.
      01-13-2009, 11:07 PM   #44
mpimping
Banned
South Korea
Rep
Drives: gti

sometimes but college is also about networking...
Appreciate 0