BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

05-16-2009, 10:17 AM   #23
Cab5er
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 (Sold) 13 A1

Can any of you guys make an incabin video? and lug around at first if you can. PLEASE

E90 ///M3/ AW/ Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2009, 10:42 AM   #24
GTS-R
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

Anyone with just the slip on system?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #25
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab5er View Post
Can any of you guys make an incabin video? and lug around at first if you can. PLEASE
What's a "lug around at first"

I'll make a video next week when my exhaust arrives, but I have no idea how to do video editing. Gonna borrow someone's video cam.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2009, 02:33 PM   #26
Cab5er
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 (Sold) 13 A1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
What's a "lug around at first"

I'll make a video next week when my exhaust arrives, but I have no idea how to do video editing. Gonna borrow someone's video cam.

Go kinda slow a few times thru the 1.5-3k range Kinda of scared about excessive resonance after hearing the encore. I couldn't deal with it. Thanks so much.

E90 ///M3/ AW/ Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2009, 05:18 PM   #27
ahtim
Akrapovic HK
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: mostly NA, sometimes turbo

Hey guys, i am really temped with this wonderful exhasut, anyone know that the 100cell will past emission test or not??

thx

and where is the best place for me to get it??
i am base in HK

thx
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2009, 10:49 PM   #28
M3V8Power
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtim View Post
Hey guys, i am really temped with this wonderful exhasut, anyone know that the 100cell will past emission test or not??

thx

and where is the best place for me to get it??
i am base in HK

thx
I did not know so far that you have such strict emissions in HK than we have in the US?
I got my exhaust from Ralf in Germany, you can get hold of him here :

info@krenzer-performance-parts.com

I guess one from the post in Singapore got his one also by him.
It was a very smooth and absolutely quick transaction, can highly recommend.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 12:10 PM   #29
leJUNd
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

any solution for correcting the CEL?
Only thing keeping me from buying this thing...
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #30
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I have not heard of one yet.. Awaiting my shipment to arrive.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #31
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

Current lambda adapters are throwing a CEL with some or most US cars. Not sure what the issue is. I never had lambda adapters installed in my car as I went for a full custom tune even before my exhaust is in. My tuner simply reduced the sensitivity of the O2 sensors so it wont throw a CEL. Once he is around the area, he will retune my ECU and DCT. Damn, the car now feels like the gearbox has to catch up with the engine.

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 08:14 AM   #32
Checkcaptain
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 GTS

1. elmariachi - SINGAPORE
2. BMW-Motorsport - California - USA
3. Akara1 - California - USA
4. islandsnow - California - USA
5. M3V8Power - Massachusetts - USA
6. MERGANSERS - North Carolina - USA
7. consolidated - Texas - USA
8. Mikewads - GA - USA
9. SARD - So. California, Orange County - United States
10. Checkcaptain - Nordschleife - Germany

Returned from EXILE - for giving too detailed informations.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 09:48 AM   #33
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkcaptain View Post
1. elmariachi - SINGAPORE
2. BMW-Motorsport - California - USA
3. Akara1 - California - USA
4. islandsnow - California - USA
5. M3V8Power - Massachusetts - USA
6. MERGANSERS - North Carolina - USA
7. consolidated - Texas - USA
8. Mikewads - GA - USA
9. SARD - So. California, Orange County - United States
10. Checkcaptain - Nordschleife - Germany

Returned from EXILE - for giving too detailed informations.
Checkcaptain, do you know why some US cars are getting CELs with the Bonalume adapters and if Akra has a fix coming?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 09:53 AM   #34
Checkcaptain
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
Checkcaptain, do you know why some US cars are getting CELs with the Bonalume adapters and if Akra has a fix coming?
Please understand, that I will give no further informations on detailed technical questions - I do not want to spend another month on an island!
Suggest to contact your Akra vendor - he should know the same like me
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 10:35 AM   #35
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
To be very honest, I find it amusing that Akra is obligated to fix the CEL light occuring on those stock cars. Clearly, almost all cars stock will throw a CEL light when you go catless or High Flow Cats. Only difference, is ppl like AA sells the tune together with their pipes which makes it a one stop shop. To be most frank, I would not want to put those adapters on my car to fool the ECU from thinking I have cats. There might be other things that the O2 sensors control which I do not feel comfortable with. If I were you, I would get a proper tune for this system. There is really no point getting a system like the Akrapovic without tuning as only with the tuning will you find the optimal gains in which these system is designed for.

I am running a full custom tune for my ECU and DCT. There is 0 CEL light to date and the car just pulls VERY hard from 6K rpm. You only will see the proper gains with HFC only with a proper tune. The stock standard ECU doesnt make much power and I found that out for myself when I was on-road with the tuner tuning my car. I gained 27hp from the old exhaust setup. When he comes again and retunes now with my full Akra setup, I believe the car will be even faster.

I hope no one takes offense to this but based on my experience, a good tune should complement the Akra system. And trust me, it is worth it.

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 10:44 AM   #36
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
To be very honest, I find it amusing that Akra is obligated to fix the CEL light occuring on those stock cars. Clearly, almost all cars stock will throw a CEL light when you go catless or High Flow Cats. Only difference, is ppl like AA sells the tune together with their pipes which makes it a one stop shop. To be most frank, I would not want to put those adapters on my car to fool the ECU from thinking I have cats. There might be other things that the O2 sensors control which I do not feel comfortable with. If I were you, I would get a proper tune for this system. There is really no point getting a system like the Akrapovic without tuning as only with the tuning will you find the optimal gains in which these system is designed for.

I am running a full custom tune for my ECU and DCT. There is 0 CEL light to date and the car just pulls VERY hard from 6K rpm. You only will see the proper gains with HFC only with a proper tune. The stock standard ECU doesnt make much power and I found that out for myself when I was on-road with the tuner tuning my car. I gained 27hp from the old exhaust setup. When he comes again and retunes now with my full Akra setup, I believe the car will be even faster.

I hope no one takes offense to this but based on my experience, a good tune should complement the Akra system. And trust me, it is worth it.
Amusing to you perhaps but not to those who bought on the premise of no CELs. Why shouldn't they provide what they/vendors are promoting? It's quite simple. If one wants a tune then fine, but for those that don't it shouldn't be a requirement unless advertised in such fashion.

Did you get adapters? If so then you paid for them. Shouldn't something work when you pay for it?

Not to mention the additional cost of software and increased risk of dealer hassle.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #37
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Amusing to you perhaps but not to those who bought on the premise of no CELs. Why shouldn't they provide what they/vendors are promoting? It's quite simple. If one wants a tune then fine, but for those that don't it shouldn't be a requirement unless advertised in such fashion.

Did you get adapters? If so then you paid for them. Shouldn't something work when you pay for it?

Not to mention the additional cost of software and increased risk of dealer hassle.
I did not get these adapters because I am on a custom tune. Definitely something should work if you pay for it but what I am really trying to say is that those adapters dont look too stable to be run on cars like ours. Its a mixed bag. Some cars will work and some dont. If you know, different cars have different ECU softwares flashed. Those running the earlier ones may not throw a CEL but those on the later ones might. BMW does more cycling of checks on the cats/emissions on every new software released. Same thing with the 335 I had, even with high flow cats, I did not throw a CEL when I was on Progman 25. Those who had progman 27 and above, had the CEL light thrown and both cars were the same cars with the same modifications.Even if they do fix the problem with revised adapters, I am sure that with later updates from BMW, you will throw a CEL. Softwares get very advanced with each revision and it is not a bulletproof modification that can indefinitely prevent CELS. Thats my point here.

There is a risk with the dealer hassle but to me, thats not a problem. Thats subjective to some. Yes the tune is additional cpst, but its the cost you pay to run a great system like the Akra and get your car to peak performance. And it also depends on the tuner who tunes the car. I drive my car really hard and there is no problems. If you go with big guys like AA for the software or other distinguished tuners, there wont be any problems. As you can read from those who have the AA software, none of them are having issues.

Just my 2c.

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 11:30 AM   #38
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
There might be other things that the O2 sensors control which I do not feel comfortable with. If I were you, I would get a proper tune for this system.
A "tune" or adapters makes no difference. Either choice you are still messing with the O2 sensors
      05-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #39
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
A "tune" or adapters makes no difference. Either choice you are still messing with the O2 sensors
Sorry but i have to disagree with that. A proper tune enters directly into the ECU and adjusts how the ECU reads the O2 sensors. Yes you are still messing with the O2 sensors but it is a far more bulletproof way than just adding an adapter and forcing the ECU to think there is a cat. Over time, with newer software, you are bound to get a code. More often than note, if the tune gets overwritten with newer software, you are screwed as well. But of course that's not the subject at hand now.

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 12:11 PM   #40
dogears
My master volume goes to 11
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

Guys, I can say from experience that the German HJS high flow 200 cell cats included in my Fabspeed exhaust DO NOT CODE. I have zero codes. Please do not say that all high flow cats code. This is false.
      05-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #41
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogears View Post
Guys, I can say from experience that the German HJS high flow 200 cell cats included in my Fabspeed exhaust DO NOT CODE. I have zero codes. Please do not say that all high flow cats code. This is false.
The Akras are 100CEL.

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #42
dogears
My master volume goes to 11
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

True, but no matter..... They are after the O2 sensors!

Quote:
The Akras are 100CEL.
      05-28-2009, 02:09 PM   #43
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

Software tune for sensors does not adjust them or make them read differently. It turns them off entirely and your ECU no longer can read them. Weird to have the computer have an empty value in the ECU all together. Its better to use the adapters in this case so you could somewhat still pass emissions is ever needed
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 03:53 PM   #44
M3EST
Rear wheel drive fanatic
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E30-1M-M4

Garage List
1987 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Here in Greece we have already installed 4 complete sets.3 E92 and one E93.All have the tuning software we offer and no fault lights at all.Here are two videos.
Enjoy

Appreciate 0