BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

06-28-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

Thumbs up heel/toe extension pedal set

i know i dont have a m3 anymore but for any of your 6spd guys....

just installed, havent gone on a spirited drive yet, but messed around on way home, tried some hard braking and heel/toeing (toe/toeing for me)...felt great...sometimes i miss the gas pedal with the side of my foot, now that definitely wont be a problem.

so if anyone was thinking about these, i give them 2 thumbs up.

Thanks to rennline for an easy purchase and to Tom at Lucent on sepulveda blvd in LA for the install, great guy.

BW C13 - 1:57:2
ACS - 1:49:6
WSIR - 1:30:6
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
davedave
Captain
Rep
Drives: Godzilla

i had a hard time to heel toe when i just got the M3. after a month, i was able to do with a ease. Your extended kit look great !!, how much is that?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 12:06 AM   #3
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

was around 290 i think
BW C13 - 1:57:2
ACS - 1:49:6
WSIR - 1:30:6
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 12:18 AM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Cool. Really makes for greater confidence and control when heel/toeing doesn't it? The M3 isn't bad to start with, but a bit of an extension really helps!

Another option is Ultimate Pedals. Same price, and are custom built for the user to spec. My wife loves her set on her Z4M--her feet were too small to effectively heel/toe but now she has no issues. Plus, I find it makes for a more confident driving experience--you can keep more "foot" on the brake while rev-matching (safer, more brake control). Great mod!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Looks nice, and I bet easier to use. For me, I heel and toe with my fingers.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 03:38 PM   #6
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
Looks nice, and I bet easier to use. For me, I heel and toe with my fingers.
vz

(J/K)
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
CarForHire
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow in the left lane.

Garage List
2007 E90 328i  [0.00]
Very interesting.
      07-26-2010, 12:45 PM   #8
Fab_vr6
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Cool. Really makes for greater confidence and control when heel/toeing doesn't it? The M3 isn't bad to start with, but a bit of an extension really helps!

Another option is Ultimate Pedals. Same price, and are custom built for the user to spec. My wife loves her set on her Z4M--her feet were too small to effectively heel/toe but now she has no issues. Plus, I find it makes for a more confident driving experience--you can keep more "foot" on the brake while rev-matching (safer, more brake control). Great mod!
Hey Finnegan,

Where can you order these Ultimate pedals? Are they made by a reputable company?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #9
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Super Duty

Sammy-

I am going to be installing mine shortly on the GT3...Will report how they work out for me!

Just got back from VIR this past weekend, this car really is awesome on track

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #10
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab_vr6 View Post
Hey Finnegan,

Where can you order these Ultimate pedals? Are they made by a reputable company?

Thanks!
Very reputable - you can get them at: www.ultimatepedals.com

This is my 2nd gas pedal on a bimmer (had one on the E46) and there is one word to describe it - superb. Perfect match, perfectly surfaced, perfect extension - and simple (no gimmicks).

I just got the gas pedal with upper-left extension and smooth finish - I think a smooth finish works best on the gas pedal. Didn't get brake/clutch pedals because I:
- didn't trust rubber nubs to work better in slippery conditions than the full OEM rubber cover
- didn't trust the "machined" surfaces to work better than OEM either

I know that many people buy pedals for looks, but if you care about functionality the Ultimate pedals are hard to beat (it helps that they look good too).

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #11
Fab_vr6
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Hi ADC,

Thanks for the reply. I noticed from an earlier post on the Z4 forum, the Z4 had the satin finished anti-slip pedals, do you have any experience in that and how would u compare the feel and grip of that to your smooth finished gas pedals?

I am debating between getting the anti-slip satin finish with or without the rubber grips, now that you've mentioned smooth finish on the gas pedals, now that gets me thinking again. I remember my previous 350z had smooth finished gas pedals.

I also wonder on the track, will the upper left extention on the gas pedals get in the way when you brake? I have not broken in my car yet so I cannot try this myself, and looking at your profile pic it seems like you've been to some ED days yourself.

Thanks

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Very reputable - you can get them at: www.ultimatepedals.com

This is my 2nd gas pedal on a bimmer (had one on the E46) and there is one word to describe it - superb. Perfect match, perfectly surfaced, perfect extension - and simple (no gimmicks).

I just got the gas pedal with upper-left extension and smooth finish - I think a smooth finish works best on the gas pedal. Didn't get brake/clutch pedals because I:
- didn't trust rubber nubs to work better in slippery conditions than the full OEM rubber cover
- didn't trust the "machined" surfaces to work better than OEM either

I know that many people buy pedals for looks, but if you care about functionality the Ultimate pedals are hard to beat (it helps that they look good too).
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 03:12 PM   #12
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab_vr6 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I noticed from an earlier post on the Z4 forum, the Z4 had the satin finished anti-slip pedals, do you have any experience in that and how would u compare the feel and grip of that to your smooth finished gas pedals?
I think satin, brushed or smooth finishes should offer very similar feel for the gas pedal. I've had brushed before (because it matched other things in the interior) but it felt the same to the foot.

By anti-slip you mean the cross-hatch design carved into the surface, right? I don't have any experience with it in the rain - seemed fine in the dry but I'd be most worried in the rain.

My issue with the rubber nubs is that they don't reach all the way to the end of the brake pedal. At the track, in order to heel & toe I often times press the brake pedal towards its edge - which would be metal in this case - so I'm worried that my foot would slip. Which would be a tragedy at 150mph...

That's the reason I left the brake/clutch pedals alone.

Alternatively, you could heel & toe by stepping on the brake pedal sideways at almost 90 degrees, then prodding the gas pedal with the heel - this can be done if you twist your right leg as you brake. I do this sometimes when the braking stakes are high , because this offers the best purchase on the brake pedal... If you got used to doing it like this, then the rubber nubs would never be an issue.

I don't know, it's personal preference obviously...

Quote:
I also wonder on the track, will the upper left extention on the gas pedals get in the way when you brake? I have not broken in my car yet so I cannot try this myself, and looking at your profile pic it seems like you've been to some ED days yourself.

Thanks

Gary
It doesn't for me, even though it definitely reduces the gap between the pedals. I'm a 10W and don't have any problems in daily driving.

If you are worried about it though, you should initially tape it to the pedal (using some double-sided tape) and drive around for a little bit, see how it feels. If it encroaches, simply return the pedal (the guys at Ultimate Pedals are very good about this).

My only regret now is that I didn't order a custom engraving with the ///M symbol.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0