BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Wukan: the Chinese village that fought back

Wonder if this will spread?

Quote:
For the first time on record, the Chinese Communist party has lost all control, with the population of 20,000 in this southern fishing village now in open revolt.

The last of Wukan’s dozen party officials fled on Monday after thousands of people blocked armed police from retaking the village, standing firm against tear gas and water cannons.
Since then, the police have retreated to a roadblock, some three miles away, in order to prevent food and water from entering, and villagers from leaving. Wukan’s fishing fleet, its main source of income, has also been stopped from leaving harbour.

The plan appears to be to lay siege to Wukan and choke a rebellion which began three months ago when an angry mob, incensed at having the village’s land sold off, rampaged through the streets and overturned cars.

Although China suffers an estimated 180,000 “mass incidents” a year, it is unheard of for the Party to sound a retreat.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ught-back.html
      12-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW R - Stg 2

If China starts to revolt, I think we could assist at one of the biggest political event of the century, yet, millennium. Don't think it will happen anytime soon... but still.

Should be very interesting to follow this story. Sadly, they will have to stop if they want food and water.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abisson View Post
If China starts to revolt, I think we could assist at one of the biggest political event of the century, yet, millennium. Don't think it will happen anytime soon... but still.

Should be very interesting to follow this story. Sadly, they will have to stop if they want food and water.
I agree, having lived there for a while I like to keep tabs on what is going on.
      12-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

very interesting and relevant to my interests. please keep us posted if you can if you find any more developments.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
About 50 million farmers have lost their homes in the past 30 years since Deng Xiaoping began breaking up agricultural collectives to make way for roads, factories and airports, according to the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences in Beijing. An estimated 60 million more will be uprooted over the next two decades as urbanization expands.

The government of nearby Lufeng city issued a statement on its website saying Xue, 42, died on Dec. 11 of heart failure and an initial investigation ruled out other causes of death. The body showed no signs of assault, the official Xinhua News Agency reported, citing a Guangdong provincial investigator.
http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...guangdong.html
      12-17-2011, 12:26 AM   #6
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

this is how the end of the world aka 2012 will start!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 12:40 AM   #7
Oregano123
Banned.....j/k
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 535xi, '11 Panamera

why is this not on chinasmack yet