BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

02-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #67
Definitive
definitivecars.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: Elsa - 2015 F80 M3 - YMB/SS

Garage List
Guess I should call them and try to register mine. Im not sure that I did when I bought them...

D
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #68
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I think you only have 90 days to register. There was a card in the box that explained the warranty
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #69
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

Ya that is Bs. That company brags about their lifetime warranty, but when you need it (and you will because they will fail, I'm on my third set in 2 years), they give you shit about it.. stating their product never fails. On top of that you get a dirty refurbished set back and have to pay. Mine took over a month each time to get back.. thats a long time to go with wide open valves.

Stay away from Race Ready Performance, total pita.. bad
      02-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #70
Definitive
definitivecars.com
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Hey guys, any info on why yours have been failing? I see your both on the east coast. Weather? Temperature? Snow? Id like to be proactive with maintenance if I know what to avoid.

D
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #71
SS32
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
Ya that is Bs. That company brags about their lifetime warranty, but when you need it (and you will because they will fail, I'm on my third set in 2 years), they give you shit about it.. stating their product never fails. On top of that you get a dirty refurbished set back and have to pay. Mine took over a month each time to get back.. thats a long time to go with wide open valves.

Stay away from Race Ready Performance, total pita.. bad
From what I've gathered, they fix YOUR valves and send them back, not replace them. That blows that you had to wait over a month, ridiculous. I was talking with a friend earlier and he recently sent one of his back and when he got it back, it had a spring installed to keep it from rattling. I'm not sure what caused mine to break, but here's the invoice they sent me.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #72
Definitive
definitivecars.com
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Interesting. WEll I emailed them earlier today with no response, So Ill call tomorrow if I dont hear back. I dealt with Steve directly when I bought mine, so hopefully hell let me register them still.

Any way to check if they are registered?

D
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #73
SS32
Major
Rep

Not that I'm aware of.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 06:17 PM   #74
tlr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Had my cutouts installed yesterday (by Alekshop!) and dear god it's loud. I've never seen so many heads turn simultaneously. I kind of feel like a douchebag

Can't stop grinning each time I start the engine. It's a very "raw" sound, which is awesome, but I'm glad I can close them on the freeway because there's quite a lot of drone.

I'll try to get photos/video this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #75
Subw00er
United_States
Rep

I definitely didnt get my originals back any time I sent them in. I originally sent in nice shiny two month old ones, and got back nasty pitted ones.

I forgot to mention, I am east coast and the valves stop working reliably at about 40 degrees, regardless of age. I just got another set back from rrp, and I never know when I hit the button whether they will work or not - I have to open the window and rev to check.
      02-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #76
Alekshop
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 l E46 M3 l GT4 l 991 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr View Post
Had my cutouts installed yesterday (by Alekshop!) and dear god it's loud. I've never seen so many heads turn simultaneously. I kind of feel like a douchebag

Can't stop grinning each time I start the engine. It's a very "raw" sound, which is awesome, but I'm glad I can close them on the freeway because there's quite a lot of drone.

I'll try to get photos/video this weekend.
Here is the picture that I have

I think it sounds great ! but I can see how it can be a bit annoying driving on the freeway ...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #77
Definitive
definitivecars.com
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Congrats.

I have no problems with the sound unless I have a headache or my wife is in the car! I love it. Get more comments on it then anything else Ive done to the car!

D
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #78
tlr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Definitive View Post
Congrats.

I have no problems with the sound unless I have a headache or my wife is in the car! I love it. Get more comments on it then anything else Ive done to the car!

D
Twice today I've heard car alarms do their warning beep as I drive by. Epic.
      02-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #79
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

I gave up after the third set of RaceReady units. The valves are great, but the interface between the gearbox and the valve assembly is shit, and leads to too much play. I could fix the design if I had access to a machine shop.

The cheap Jegs branded units I have now have been rock solid for 8 months. No rattling, no heat related binding at the track. The downside is that their gear ratio is different and makes their actuation much faster, making is harder to open the valves half way.

As a side note, have any of you with valves noticed that the car sounds much better with only one bank open?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #80
Definitive
definitivecars.com
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Mine are linked, so it's both or none.. Interesting though.

D
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #81
HP Man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

Interesting. I have had the race ready valves for about 18 months. At first, they were really fussy -- sometimes worked, sometimes didn't. I was about to scrap the whole thing when I thought that the problem might be electrical, not mechanical. I had originally purchased the remote control and set it up the way subw00er did. I then removed the remote control setup and hard wired it. It has worked flawlessly ever since, however, the coldest it ever gets where I live is about 20F.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #82
Subw00er
United_States
Rep

Hp man, I was wondering about that, it is possible the remote unit is cutting power to the valves to early? Like they get old, a little dirty, and it requires more force to move, but the circuit doesn't let it use the current (current limited switch)? I wonder because as they start to fail, they move like 1mm and then stop, almost like they're trying to move but cant, or get cancelled as a safety measure?!

JML, I know what you mean about having one side open, it sounds cool. I always thought it would be bad for the car though, so I never ran it like that.

Jml, I was also wondering about the jegs, did you use the same electrics from the rrp, or did you have to swap all of that out? Do you use a remote control or hardwired button?
      02-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #83
SS32
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr View Post
Twice today I've heard car alarms do their warning beep as I drive by. Epic.
I LOVE setting off car alarms. I was leaving my friend's house a couple nights ago and when I started my car, the jeep behind me in the street went off for a second, so I made sure to tap the accelerator on the way out to set it off again.

Quote:
I definitely didnt get my originals back any time I sent them in. I originally sent in nice shiny two month old ones, and got back nasty pitted ones.

I forgot to mention, I am east coast and the valves stop working reliably at about 40 degrees, regardless of age. I just got another set back from rrp, and I never know when I hit the button whether they will work or not - I have to open the window and rev to check.
Well mine are ~18 months old so there's no way I would notice if they sent me a different one back. That's weird that they quit working in cold temps. I've had mine in sub 20 degree weather and they still worked fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post
As a side note, have any of you with valves noticed that the car sounds much better with only one bank open?
I've been rocking one valve since the one quit working and it does sound nice. It's not as raw, but there's a definite change in volume.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 12:11 AM   #84
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

Quote:
JML, I know what you mean about having one side open, it sounds cool. I always thought it would be bad for the car though, so I never ran it like that.

Jml, I was also wondering about the jegs, did you use the same electrics from the rrp, or did you have to swap all of that out? Do you use a remote control or hardwired button?
I think it's probably fine (one open). It adds a lot of bass, sounds like a C63/AMG exhaust.

Same electronics, but had to splice in a different connector.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #85
HP Man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

Quote:
Hp man, I was wondering about that, it is possible the remote unit is cutting power to the valves to early? Like they get old, a little dirty, and it requires more force to move, but the circuit doesn't let it use the current (current limited switch)? I wonder because as they start to fail, they move like 1mm and then stop, almost like they're trying to move but cant, or get cancelled as a safety measure?!
When I still used the remote control set-up and the valves would not open or close, I could hear a click from the receiver unit, as though too much current was being drawn and it tripped a circuit breaker or something. I then unplugged the receiver unit and plugged in the hardwire switch and the valves opened and closed no problem. As I stated earlier, my valves have worked flawlessly since I scrapped the remote control setup. I think the receiver unit is flawed and does not allow the valve motors to draw the full current they require.

I recommend that next time your valves fail, unplug the receiver unit, plug in a hardwire switch and see if the valves work.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #86
Definitive
definitivecars.com
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Funny how all these units are all so different. When I installed mine, it was fine for the first 2 weeks, then it started dying. would work when I started the car then then would slowly loose power and stop working.

I found a tiny resistor inside the switch assembly. looks like it was what could be limiting the power. So I cut ti out and redid the wires. After that they were stong and fast and never had an issue again.

D
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 09:08 AM   #87
Subw00er
United_States
Rep

Definitive, can you explain more.. what resistor? In the wireless or hard switch?

HP Man - tried that, still dont work. its RMA time... again.

Last edited by Subw00er; 05-12-2011 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #88
Definitive
definitivecars.com
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It was part of the wiring harness that plugged into the back of the switch. I think it was taped up. But it was a tiny resistor, capacitor or something. I could feel it get pretty hot when opening and closing. I tool the chance and cut it off. Worked out great!

Hope that helps.

D
Appreciate 0