BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

03-25-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

Torque Wrench Recommendation?

Probably a good time to finally invest in one..I've read some reviews online..but couldn't decide..

I know some of you are track junkies and use it quite often between sessions..so whatcha using?

Oh, and 17MM sockets for not scratching wheels right?
      03-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Hey Ben,

Yes - be sure to buy protective sockets - extended ones are the best as they give you a little extra clearance when using the torque wrench.

As for torque wrenches I bought mine a while back at princess auto - it wasnt cheap, nor is it the best on the market. CDN Tire and Home Depot also have torque wrenches which would probably suit your needs.

I am going to guess you are refering to a cordless torque wrench - if so I was recommended the cheap Goodyear brand one at CDN Tire. I paid $99 on sale for it and was quite sceptical - however it works like a charm. I do not use it to tighten the wheels though just to remove the lugs and gently put the lugs on. I tighten with the actual torque wrench to 88ft/lbs.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
bunnn
Colonel
Rep

Thanks Jay,

But I've read many people having a horrible experience with the Princess Auto wrench. The crappytires wrench was actually noted to be a better bargain in quality and price. Was there a specific model that you got?

Actually, I was referring to the manual hand tightening ones; unless it was for the same purpose you use it for(removing the lugs).

I have half a heart to splurge and buy snap-on, but damn...it cost almost as much as a tire, haha.

What drive am I suppose to be looking for? (1/4, 3/8, 3/4?)
      03-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

I will check the brand I have - I am not wondering if I do in fact have the princess auto one - I know I bought one and brought it back, but cant remember if I bought another one there or somewhere else. I have had mine a few years and works very well. I have heard good things about the Cdn Tire one - I think its $120-130 bucks. Snap on would be great - but yeah expensive and probably overkill for the amount you would actually use it. If I was spending your money that is what I would get!

Edit: you want 1/2"

Last edited by Jaypod; 03-25-2010 at 02:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
frenchM3dreamer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 Mitsu Eclipse Spyder GTP

i bought 1 from Canadian Tire (2 actually...) they served me well so far, no issues, they seem well built... just double check the max torque that the wrench is "capable of" (ie, buy the big one not the mid-size / small one ) and after you buy it, dont lose the receipt in case you bought the wrong one
$ 130 seems about right for what i can remember...

Pat
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
bunnn
Colonel
Rep

Thanks guys!

From what I'm gathering so far, if you want snap-on..try ebay! $399 from the Snap-on dude OR $150 from ebay..but of course there's always buyers-beware for such transaction. Looks like CT has some good experience...I will report back on what I find!