BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

BPM

08-12-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Cd/dvd Burn Question

Hi gang. Sorry for the stupid question, but need to know if you can view a video clip (.AVI extension) if burned on a CD-R, or does it have to be burned on a DVD-R?
By the way, I also have to burn an image ('jpeg' extension), so hopefully both can be burned on the same media. Need to know which one to buy.

And finally, don't seem to have any software other than Windows Media Player ('Rip' and 'Burn' options) and Windows DVD maker. Oh, and Windows Vista OP. Thanks in advance for your help.
JC
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
taliesen
Self Imposed Exile
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 328i

Where are you trying to view them, is the important thing. If you're just transferring between computers, burn them on either medium as a data disc, and you're fine. The deciding factor here is the type of drive on the PC you're moving them to. Your other option is a good-old flash drive for this type of use.

If you're trying to burn them to play on a set-top DVD player, you'll have to check to see what the DVD player manufacturer recommends - some of them can play various file types off of either disc. The way they are accessed/played will also vary - if you burn them as a straight AVI file, they won't display a menu on your TV like a 'real' DVD would. You'd need an encoding program of some sort to make it into a real DVD (I've used WinDVDCreator for this - came free with a capture card, works fine, but isn't super fancy).

Also, it will depend on the size of the files - DVDs obviously hold a lot more info. I don't bother with CD-Rs anymore except for music CDs for dedicated CD players (and not even those anymore with an iPod adapter).
      08-12-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taliesen View Post
Where are you trying to view them, is the important thing.
My wife caught some people illegally dumping in my subdivision, and took a photo and a short video on her digital camera while the owner arrived (he caught them leaving). Now the police needs the evidence of dumping, so need to give them those files.

By what you said, I guess it's okay to burn them on a CD-R, right? Since they're not music files, can't do it with the media player, correct? How about just copying them from my hard drive to the E drive with Internet Explorer? Can I do it on a CD-R or do I need a CD-RW for that? I think I have one of those somewhere. Many thanks for your help.
JC
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
taliesen
Self Imposed Exile
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 328i

Yes, you can just drag and drop them onto the burner drive in Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer, mind you ), should work with either CD-R or CD-RW - I'd use the -R, they're cheaper. If it asks you to 'prepare this disc', choose the 'mastered' option. This should open a new window, once all your files are there, hit "burn to disc" and it should do the rest.
      08-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #5
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taliesen View Post
Yes, you can just drag and drop them onto the burner drive in Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer, mind you ), should work with either CD-R or CD-RW - I'd use the -R, they're cheaper. If it asks you to 'prepare this disc', choose the 'mastered' option. This should open a new window, once all your files are there, hit "burn to disc" and it should do the rest.
Duh! on Internet Explorer .
Thanks a lot man; really appreciate it. Found a CD-RW laying around, so will use that one (with my USB storage, don't need those anymore). Thanks again .
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #6
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

tip: if you want to view avi files on your TV, grab a divx dvd player! has a usb thumb drive option as well! (ensure it is fat32 formatted if you're using a hard drive in the USB slot)

It is great, cheap for the price ($60-70) AND you don't have to convert your movies to the dvd format anymore! stick 5-6 700mb movies on a DVD-+R and you're good to go!
8-9 on a DVD-R Dual Layer
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #7
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Well, my stupid Windows Vista couldn't finish formatting a CD-RW disc . Just told the detective to bring a freaking USB stick and I'd copy the files over.

Hey Darkphantom, thanks a lot for that advice. Hard to keep up with technology .
Appreciate 0