BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Talking Help me get 500+ HP!! What are my options.

I have done a lot of reading on the forum and I am in search of getting 500+ HP and around 400 ftlbs of torque. I ultimately want more torque out of the car. I am not seeking all out horsepower. 600 HP with only 350 ft lbs of torque would be overkill. I have seen PencilGeek and JonMartins posts about their cars and they have made me curious about N/A vs the supercharger route. Rear mount turbos are not an option and I really dont want to be a guinea pig for an install.

My car is a 2010 E92 Coupe with DCT. I am open to everyones suggestions, but mostly those that HAVE these mods.

What I am looking for is reliability, best cost for performance, and how strongly they will stand behind their warranty. Dinan seems to be the best as of now because of their strong warranty and I am nervous with a DCT trans. Dinan explained they would give me a written contract if their engine is the cause of my transmission failure then they would cover the DCT trans. If you have had any problems with your cars please share, even if you had problems as long as you feel they were corrected and made right by warranty I appreciate knowing that as well!

What I am considering. (Please note my ratings are estimates off manufacturer websites.)

1. Dinan 4.6L Stroker. $25,000+ (520HP/400ftlbs. 4 year/50,000 mile warranty)

2. RDSport 4.6L Stroker. $ 28,000 + (520HP/400ftlbs. 2 year/50,000 mile warranty)

3. Gpower SKII Supercharger. $$??? HP and warranty I am unsure of.

4. Gintani Supercharger ??

5. VF Engineering Supercharger

PLEASE ONLY REPLY TO THIS THREAD IF YOU HAVE THESE UPGRADES OR YOUR INFORMATION IS BACKED UP WITH DETAILS. Ive been reading alot of negative media about GPower exploding customer engines. I would like to start this thread completely unbiased. Sponsors and auto shops, feel free to PM me if you want to disclose any pricing privately.

Last edited by Optherion; 11-12-2009 at 12:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
Tio///M
///M South Lead
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez Blk / Fox Red Ext

I ready read your post, but why stop there. It seems money is not an issue why not the M5 Engine Stroked from Dinan...the warranty is what gets me! Just my 2 cents...GL

MFlight!! .......NOW
///M SOUTH
on Facebook!!
FOR SALE!!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
Did someone mention Gpower?

F/I > N/A Anyday.
      11-11-2009, 12:40 PM   #4
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio///M View Post
I ready read your post, but why stop there. It seems money is not an issue why not the M5 Engine Stroked from Dinan...the warranty is what gets me! Just my 2 cents...GL
M5 motor is out of the question. Making it work with DCT?? And the weight, if i wanted a heavy front end car Id buy a mustang, I really dont want to mess with the extra weight up front.

The warranty is important. I have a very strong relationship with my BMW dealer. If I didnt want any warranty Id go back to a GT-R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightie View Post
Did someone mention Gpower?

F/I > N/A Anyday.
Glad to see your post Tightie! Thats what I want to see! People with THESE mods.
      11-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Good luck on your search! Im sure some guys can help you out here, but just out of curiousity....you have an R8 V10 & a 430 Scuderia...why not let the M3 be what it is ? I assume its your daily driver anyway? and its an awesome daily driver!
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optherion View Post
M5 motor is out of the question. Making it work with DCT?? And the weight, if i wanted a heavy front end car Id buy a mustang, I really dont want to mess with the extra weight up front.

The warranty is important. I have a very strong relationship with my BMW dealer.

M5 motor would be awesome in an E92 M..

But since you said your relationship is good with your dealer, are they an authorized Dinan dealer? If so, there's no reason not to go with a stroked motor from Dinan
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #7
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
Good luck on your search! Im sure some guys can help you out here, but just out of curiousity....you have an R8 V10 & a 430 Scuderia...why not let the M3 be what it is ? I assume its your daily driver anyway? and its an awesome daily driver!
Yes it is the daily that's why I am focused on the warranty with such expensive upgrades. When people see the Scuderia, they know the specs and the history. I have been curious to make the M3 a sleeper. I also have been spoiled with the ZR-1 and all the torque. If it doesn't make sense in the long run, you might be right and I will leave it stock.
      11-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
Tio///M
///M South Lead
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez Blk / Fox Red Ext

I agree with you, it just seem like all out horsepower is what you were seeking. I would definately go with Dinan, especially if you are already in good standing with the dealer. You can't go wrong.

Quote:

The warranty is important. I have a very strong relationship with my BMW dealer. If I didnt want any warranty Id go back to a GT-R.

Glad to see your post Tightie! Thats what I want to see! People with THESE mods.

MFlight!! .......NOW
///M SOUTH
on Facebook!!
FOR SALE!!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #9
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Tuning on our VF Supercharger kit starts next week:

We'll have a full report as progress is made in our journal: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150287

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #10
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
M5 motor would be awesome in an E92 M..

But since you said your relationship is good with your dealer, are they an authorized Dinan dealer? If so, there's no reason not to go with a stroked motor from Dinan
Yes my dealer is a Dinan Dealer, and Dinan has offered to pick me up from the airport and arrange some accommodations need I make a trip to their San Jose head quarters. I would hate to spend all that money though if the supercharger options are half the price or considerable savings.

Thanks tom@EAS I will follow you guys. I have been following that thread for months before I ordered my M3. I constantly check our your client cars haha. I am looking for all the alternatives out there.
      11-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #11
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

Quote:

I wouldn't use the M5 engine in the M3 either, but they are using the M3's DCT in the one off M5 CSL. See the link: http://e60.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316340
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #12
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Yes my dealer is a Dinan Dealer, and Dinan has offered to pick me up from the airport and arrange some accommodations need I make a trip to their San Jose head quarters. I would hate to spend all that money though if the supercharger options are half the price or considerable savings.

Thanks tom@EAS I will follow you guys. I am looking for all the alternatives out there.

Unfortunately that IS the case.

ANY supercharger kit you can buy for the E92 M3 will be half the price of a stroker motor. (FACT)

At 12-15k each, a Supercharger kit will always be a better value per dollar spent.

You cannot compare the costs 'straight up' against one another. NA power is going to be the more expensive.

There is no need to 'wonder' about this at all...
      11-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #13
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Unfortunately that IS the case.

ANY supercharger kit you can buy for the E92 M3 will be half the price of a stroker motor. (FACT)

At 12-15k each, a Supercharger kit will always be a better value per dollar spent.

You cannot compare the costs 'straight up' against one another. NA power is going to be the more expensive.

There is no need to 'wonder' about this at all...
Thats where warranty also comes into favor. I also dont want to save half my money now, only to shell out much more in the end for a new engine if the supercharger has a problem. I understand there's a lot more R&D as well as parts that go into a stoker motor.
      11-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #14
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by erio View Post
I wouldn't use the M5 engine in the M3 either, but they are using the M3's DCT in the one off M5 CSL. See the link: http://e60.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316340
Actually, they are not using the same DCT tranny found in the E9x M3.

They are using a modified version of the DCT tranny found in the Ferrari California.
      11-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #15
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

NAWZZZZ
      11-11-2009, 02:37 PM   #16
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Superchargers will stomp a stroker in any situation. If you dont want to mess with FI just do bolt on's and save ur money. Because a full catless bolt-on car will make just as much or 15-20whp less then a stroker car and cost far less so whats the point?

As for the G-power they've made a few mistakes but they took care of them and fixed our cars. And if you get it installed by Autotalent they will warranty it just as good as Dinan or anyone else.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 03:11 PM   #17
BMWCadet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 MR M3

Which vehicles would be comparable to a S/C'd E9x M3?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #18
M3Kernow
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 Silverstone M3

I'm pretty sure if you calculate the parts costs of a Supercharger Kit versus a Stroker the mark up on a Supercharger would be considerably greater.
Just the cost of a custom billet crank for a stroker would probably nearly cover all the parts for a complete FI system. So I wouldn't say you get better value with a FI system, at the end of the day you get what you pay for.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #19
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCadet View Post
Which vehicles would be comparable to a S/C'd E9x M3?
ferraris, lambos, vettes, gtrs, amgs, etc...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 03:40 PM   #20
M3Kernow
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 Silverstone M3

I've done quite a lot of research into these upgrades for the M3. My overall decision is to go with the stroker route (its gonna be a while before i do the conversion though as Christmas is coming so I know the bank account is going to get emptied by the misses). It seems the best value for to me, the RD Stroker also includes the complete exhaust system which wouldn't come with the FI kits. RTEM, Metal Cats, X-Pipe and Backboxes have a value of around 10k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonmartin View Post
Superchargers will stomp a stroker in any situation.
Not when its blown up though eh? And i'm not sure even when its running correctly it would, added weight to the front end would throw off the handling of the car.

Any vids of FI against the Stroker at the track or anything???

Do you really wanna turn your M into an American Muscle car or keep it as the European Sports coupe it was designed to be? Sorry, but the pros for a stroker are you are not only keeping the original characteristics of the M (one of the main reasons I purchased mine) but also the reliability that FI is and never will be known for.

Out of interest has anyone with the S65 stroker encountered any problems?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #21
chungdae
The Asian Sensation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Alpine White M3, S1000RR

I would stick with the stroker. The M3, like any other car, WILL have problems sooner or later. It will let you sleep better at night that you have a warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #22
JMD0977
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 GT3 and ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonmartin View Post
Superchargers will stomp a stroker in any situation. If you dont want to mess with FI just do bolt on's and save ur money. Because a full catless bolt-on car will make just as much or 15-20whp less then a stroker car and cost far less so whats the point?

As for the G-power they've made a few mistakes but they took care of them and fixed our cars. And if you get it installed by Autotalent they will warranty it just as good as Dinan or anyone else.
I dont know about your Dynapack results (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...T/Dynapack.jpg) Vs PencilGeek's (http://www.rcollins.org/m3/dyno/20090416/Stroker-1.jpg)

But in the DynoJet section of the Dyno Database, my car put down 50hp+ and 60 lbs torque http://www.m3post.com/forums/attachm...2&d=1240247317 more than dogears' M3 with full bolt ons (http://scottlernermusic.com/M3/dyno1.jpg) ...

Here is the link to the dyno database put together by PencilGeek
http://bmw.pencilgeek.org/DynoDB.html

BTW, my car was also putting down the same amount of torque as tightie's G-power S/C when he first dynoed it.

No one can argue the costs of S/C Vs Stroker, but when reability matters, all strokers are running (mine almost a year with no issues), and 4 M3 G-Power S/C'er blew their motors in the last 120 days. Sure, they blew due to a bad tune, but not worth the headache. You were not able to drive your car for 4 months while waiting for G-Power to repair it....

Last edited by JMD0977; 11-12-2009 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 0