BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

03-14-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

STrange Noise

Hey Everyone. I do not understand where this sound comes from but it sounds exactly like side mirror folding or mirror adjusting . I drove 2 times today and it happened 2 times. I do not know what cause this problem but it is annoying. I would say passenger side mirror gets down when i put the reverse. But sound comes from behind the headlight switch. Does anyone know what is this? I am feeling like my front suspensions are auto leveling itself.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 11:58 AM   #2
///Mangler
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNGRia View Post
Hey Everyone. I do not understand where this sound comes from but it sounds exactly like side mirror folding or mirror adjusting . I drove 2 times today and it happened 2 times. I do not know what cause this problem but it is annoying. I would say passenger side mirror gets down when i put the reverse. But sound comes from behind the headlight switch. Does anyone know what is this? I am feeling like my front suspensions are auto leveling itself.
Same here being on the M3. Weird motorized noise from behind the headlight switch. Happens on start up.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 11:28 PM   #3
M3AG
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mangler View Post
Same here being on the M3. Weird motorized noise from behind the headlight switch. Happens on start up.
I've noticed it as well...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 11:53 PM   #4
tinman831
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

The car makes all sorts of sounds during startup and shutdown. It's normal.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 05:45 PM   #5
M3AG
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNGRia View Post
The sound is from the brake booster pump pressurizing the brake fluid in the lines. The duration of the noise also changes with front brake pad wear/thickness. It's some sort of ABS test.
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia977.00
      04-27-2014, 07:13 PM   #6
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AG View Post
The sound is from the brake booster pump pressurizing the brake fluid in the lines. The duration of the noise also changes with front brake pad wear/thickness. It's some sort of ABS test.
Thank you so much. It helped me a lot and also helps others
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 06:18 AM   #7
///Mangler
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
so what is it doing when it never stops? some days it just runs and runs and other days i never hear it?

T
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 05:33 PM   #8
popdog
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan

Quote:
Can others confirm that this is correct/normal? New E90 M3 owner here. I've been wondering what this noise is since I purchased the car. It sounds like gears rotating and happens 3-4 times on startup for about 5 seconds each. Like others have mentioned, it happens most of the time, but not always.

Here is a video of what I'm referring to. Turn volume up. Noise begins at 0:02.

P.S. Apologies for resurrecting an old thread. This was the only one I could find regarding this specific noise.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 05:40 PM   #9
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by popdog View Post
Can others confirm that this is correct/normal? New E90 M3 owner here. I've been wondering what this noise is since I purchased the car. It sounds like gears rotating and happens 3-4 times on startup for about 5 seconds each. Like others have mentioned, it happens most of the time, but not always.

Here is a video of what I'm referring to. Turn volume up. Noise begins at 0:02.

P.S. Apologies for resurrecting an old thread. This was the only one I could find regarding this specific noise.
Sounds like brake vacuum pump operating. If you hear it very often then your brake vacuum sensor may be on its way out. It's a common issue especially if you have recently done a brake fluid change and accidentally spilled brake fluid on the sensor. Luckily it's a cheap $20 fix. You can buy the sensor separately from the vacuum hose.
Appreciate 1
popdog3.50
      01-11-2022, 06:09 PM   #10
popdog
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Sounds like brake vacuum pump operating. If you hear it very often then your brake vacuum sensor may be on its way out. It's a common issue especially if you have recently done a brake fluid change and accidentally spilled brake fluid on the sensor. Luckily it's a cheap $20 fix. You can buy the sensor separately from the vacuum hose.
Thanks! Definitely looks like it's the brake vacuum pump. Did a search for that and found others with the same question. So the noise is normal and happens on all (E9x) M3's, and it's just a matter of how frequently it happens? What would you consider 'very often'? I guess I'm just trying to gauge whether my case is normal or not. It usually happens on the first couple startups of the day. I will do more research as well as monitor the car to take note of how frequently it's happening.

FWIW, I did have my brake fluid changed about 7 months ago, shortly after I purchased the car, so you could definitely be right about the sensor. Can't recall if I heard the noise prior to that.

Edit: Upon reading some more threads, I think my situation might be normal, but I will probably end up replacing the sensor if it starts happening more frequently.

Last edited by popdog; 01-11-2022 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 04:39 PM   #11
ksc
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

I have this noise, and I just replaced the brake vacuum sensor (yes brake fluid got on it and I was getting erroneous limping).

Still have noise, I think it's fine. Haven't noticed anything since the vacuum sensor replacement which was 7k miles ago.

By the way, I get this basically every time in startup, but when the sensor was broken, I was getting it like 5 times in a row etc. Replacing the sensor reduced it by a significant amount but did not eliminate it which leads me to assume that if it's not constantly whining/buzzing then it is okay.
Appreciate 0