BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

BPM

12-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

Selling a car for a friend..possible?

A friend of mine is leaving on a very short notice, his car isn't sold yet, and would like me to help him while hes gone. I'm trying to shy away from having a transfer of ownership. I'm not sure what options this leaves me with, except for maybe a limited Power of Attorney? Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
      12-10-2012, 01:24 AM   #2
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Power of attorney is your your best bet.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
bunnn
Colonel
Rep

Thanks...looks like I'm going with a combo of pre-signed documents and power of attorney.
      12-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnn View Post
Thanks...looks like I'm going with a combo of pre-signed documents and power of attorney.
IDK canadian law but thats what i would do in the US
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Selling a car that is not in your name could get you in trouble with the law as it is considered Curbsiding which is an offence in Ontario.

Check it out here. www.omvic.on.ca
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
bunnn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Selling a car that is not in your name could get you in trouble with the law as it is considered Curbsiding which is an offence in Ontario.

I guess I should check with them first tomorrow. That's one of the reasons why I requested that he provide me a power of attorney so I can avoid potential legal issues. We'll see what happens with OMVIC tomorrow.
      12-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:

He is asking how to do it above board, hence the suggestion of getting power of attorney. He is not curbsiding - he is not buying the car to flip to someone else without changing the ownership to make a quick buck.

Ben - not sure how it is today, but I know years ago an authorization letter was all that was required to allow you to sell on his behalf. I am not sure if Service Ontario would already have a form or tell you what is required on the document. People do sell cars to people who do not live close to each other and never meet so a sale can done remotely but obviously adds a more time and an extra factor to the transaction.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #8
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
He is asking how to do it above board, hence the suggestion of getting power of attorney. He is not curbsiding - he is not buying the car to flip to someone else without changing the ownership to make a quick buck.

Ben - not sure how it is today, but I know years ago an authorization letter was all that was required to allow you to sell on his behalf. I am not sure if Service Ontario would already have a form or tell you what is required on the document. People do sell cars to people who do not live close to each other and never meet so a sale can done remotely but obviously adds a more time and an extra factor to the transaction.
It is better to check with OMVIC to make sure a POA is considered a legitimate document to sell a vehicle that is not in your name.There have been lots of changes in the laws pertaining to vehicle sales in Ontario in the the last few years.OMVIC seem quite happy to prosecute the people that do not follow these rules.Much better to call to confirm with OMVIC than guessing IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
It is better to check with OMVIC to make sure a POA is considered a legitimate document to sell a vehicle that is not in your name.There have been lots of changes in the laws pertaining to vehicle sales in Ontario in the the last few years.OMVIC seem quite happy to prosecute the people that do not follow these rules.Much better to call to confirm with OMVIC than guessing IMO.
I think you are now starting to say the same thing as me now. I am not sure if you are confused to what a POA is, but OMVIC is not above the law. As I suggested best to see what is acceptable as a POA may not be required.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I think you are now starting to say the same thing as me now. I am not sure if you are confused to what a POA is, but OMVIC is not above the law. As I suggested best to see what is acceptable as a POA may not be required.
What was acceptable with OMVIC in the past might not be of use now.We get bulletins revising procedures all the time.And yes they are above the law as they are the enforcement agency for the Motor Trade in Ontario.The Liberals made sure of that in legislation.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #11
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
What was acceptable with OMVIC in the past might no be of use now.We get bulletins revising procedures all time.And yes they are above the law as they are the enforcement agency for the Motor Trade in Ontario.The Liberals made sure of that in legislation.
I am not sure where in this thread Ben mentioned his friend was a dealer or he is a dealer, to my knowledge this is a private sale
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #12
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I am not sure where in this thread Ben mentioned his friend was a dealer or he is a dealer, to my knowledge this is a private sale
They also judge what is considered to be a private sale!A POA might not be acceptable to them so it is worthwhile to check with OMVIC to see if it is permissible as I said earlier.A third party involved in a private sale could change this.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #13
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
They also judge what is considered to be a private sale!A POA might not be acceptable to them so it is worthwhile to check with OMVIC to see if it is permissible as I said earlier.A third party involved in a private sale could change this.
I am still laughing at your above the law comment, you never fail to provide entertainment. We get it....you sold a car once, you are an expert of the law......now have another beer and get back to your nap......
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #14
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I am still laughing at your above the law comment, you never fail to provide entertainment. We get it....you sold a car once, you are an expert of the law......now have another beer and get back to your nap......
I do not claim to be an expert on the OMVIC rules.As a dealership we call both the UCDA & OMVIC to get rulings on legal procedures that we are unsure of or might have changed since the last time that we were involved in a like out of the ordinary type transaction.I am only advising Ben to check with OMVIC that he is legal in selling a car for a friend with a POA.That is a common sense suggestion nothing more than that!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #15
bunnn
Colonel
Rep

Thanks for the advice guys, I know things have changed over the years that's why I figured I should ask here. We just wanted to skip having the car under my ownership cause it's simply not worth the hassle. I'm not going to be actively pursuing a sale, but rather a facilitator when needed until he returns late next year. Duncan's suggestion is definitely useful, I don't want to deal with any legal repercussion for being a good friend, haha. I'll double check with authoritative source before I go ahead. Anyways, thanks again everyone, I have the car in my possession and it reminds me dearly how much I love driving manual.
      12-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #16
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnn View Post
Lets make a deal, don't tell your friend
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #17
bunnn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
Lets make a deal, don't tell your friend
Haha, then you need to delete this post..cause his brother is on this board..and he's a good buddy of mine too.
      12-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #18
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

last I heard, an authorized letter does the job; at least my friend had his car sold that way , but that was some years ago.
      12-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #19
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413 View Post
last I heard, an authorized letter does the job; at least my friend had his car sold that way , but that was some years ago.
No way man. "Bad boyz bad boyz what u gonna do... Omvic gonna come for u.....
Appreciate 0