BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-29-2007, 08:03 PM   #1
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Just raced a 997 Turbo...

I was on my way home, driving through London, and spent 3 or 4 miles in traffic with a 997 Turbo behind me. He was trying to find a way past, but kept getting stuck in traffic. We drove through the Limehouse Link tunnel and came to the set of lights on the highway, just outside Canary Wharf. There were a few cars in front of me, so as soon as the lights changed I zipped across to the inside lane, shot past the traffic and onto the open road. The 911 took the bait! We had about half a mile of flat out accelaration in a straight line, during which he sat about 5 feet from my rear bumper. Then we hit a downhill, high speed, long left hander. I had to brake quite hard going into it, taking it at about 110, and completely on the limit, with the back end just itching to break away. As I came out of the corner I looked in my rear view mirror and suddenly the Porsche was a good 50 feet behind me, the driver obviously unwilling to push it so hard through the bend. We pulled up at a set of lights, he put his window down and gave the M3 some serious respect, commenting on how fast it was

As the lights changed, I let him get in front of me for the next section of road. It's another half mile section, starting with a sharp left, then continuing with a long straight going up a flyover, then into a high speed, long right hander on the downhill section. I take this road every day and I know I can take it flat out, braking at about 120 in the M3 (I could squeeze 130 out of my M6!) for the next roundabout. I stayed on his bumper from the lights and round the first corner, until we hit the straight, but with him in front, accelarating flat out, he opened up a bit of a lead. About 20 feet by the time we reached 100mph and the top of the bridge. However, as we went into the right hander he obviously started to poo his pants and backed off, giving me the chance to shoot past him on the inside, beating him to the roundabout!

I'm quite happy to admit that I only beat him because I knew the road better (and obviously because I'm a much better driver ), but it was interesting to see that, although the Turbo is clearly faster than the M3, the difference is not as great as you would expect. More importantly, I had two female friends in the car with me, one squealing with delight and the other, well, just squealing! Both of them were a lot more comfortable that they would have been in a 911

I have to say, though, the sound of the 911 Turbo on full song is awesome. It sounded like I was following a fighter plane!

As for the M3, any of the armchair critics who doubt the ability of this car really should try living with it. It is incredible!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 08:21 PM   #2
BMW3R
Bimmer User
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 Mazda3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
As for the M3, any of the armchair critics who doubt the ability of this car really should try living with it. It is incredible!!!
Just counting down the days here in the USA! Great report.

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 10:11 PM   #3
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Good to hear. Wish I was in your spot, the car, racing the TT, and of course two female companions.
      10-29-2007, 10:30 PM   #4
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
More importantly, I had two female friends in the car with me, one squealing with delight and the other, well, just squealing!
hahahahaha. That was funny. Nice story.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 02:35 AM   #5
Luv2TeaseU
Registered
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: VARIOUS

Were the settings in the "M" mode. Did you have MDM on, or full on DSC?

Edit: sorry ment to say "DSC" not EDC

Last edited by Luv2TeaseU; 10-30-2007 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: error
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 06:07 AM   #6
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2TeaseU View Post
What were the setting in the "M" mode. Did you have MDM on or full on DSC?
I had everything set to the sportiest setting and DSC off. The car is so well balanced that you really don't need DSC switched on when it's dry. It is worthwhile in the wet, though, at last in MDM mode, with all of that power going to the back wheels...

Last edited by Filthy Monkey; 10-30-2007 at 07:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 07:50 AM   #7
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

^^^

I believe you two meant "DSC" and not "EDC", yeah? Or am I misinterpreting?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 08:02 AM   #8
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
Rep

I'm sure I wrote DSC. I haven't gone back and edited my post. Honest...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 12:56 PM   #9
rick berry
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT/ 2014 750li

Sounds like you had a great time. I am curious Filth, what is your impression and comparisons between the M3 and M6. I loved the M6 at M performance school, but I am thinking that the M3 will be the better fun car. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 01:01 PM   #10
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick berry View Post
Sounds like you had a great time. I am curious Filth, what is your impression and comparisons between the M3 and M6. I loved the M6 at M performance school, but I am thinking that the M3 will be the better fun car. Thoughts?
Be careful! The last time that I asked this question "in the ///M3 Forum" I got flamed, and I'm nothing close to a n00b on this forum.

As for the OP....

....great story!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 01:06 PM   #11
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Be careful! The last time that I asked this question I got flamed, and I'm nothing close to a n00b on this forum.
LOL

M fan A: The M3 has gotten too heavy. It's lost its focus.
M fan B: Yeah, its a real shame. What are you going to do?
M fan A: Well, I will buy an M6 of course!

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 01:40 PM   #12
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick berry View Post
That's an easy one, really. The M6 is a thug. It's a total muscle car and an absolute hoot to drive. You can spend your whole day going sideways round corners, but hit a straight stretch of road, plant your right foot and almost nothing will keep up with you from 100mph+. The acceleration is just staggering and I LOOOOVE the SMG gearbox! Through corners, though, the M3 is more poised and better balanced. The M6 always feels a little bit twitchy when you have it on the limit, like it's just begging you to go too far and ruin your day. The M3, on the other hand, is never scary and always feels predictable. It's definitely the faster car point to point, if there are corners in the way...

To sum it up, if you want tail out thrills, brutal performance and fireworks every time you drive, go for an M6, but be aware that it may just turn round and bite you if you lose your concentration for just a second. If, however, you want the perfect compromise between luxury and performance, probably the finest handling four-seater on the market and are prepared to sacrifice a little straight line performance, the M3 is the car for you.

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 01:48 PM   #13
E394KEN
M3//4KEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & E90 335i (Woosh!)

Great report, yeah, even drivers and the Turbo beats ya.
I wonder though with the GTR on the horizon how it will fare?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 04:41 PM   #14
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
That's an easy one, really. The M6 is a thug. It's a total muscle car and an absolute hoot to drive. You can spend your whole day going sideways round corners, but hit a straight stretch of road, plant your right foot and almost nothing will keep up with you from 100mph+. The acceleration is just staggering and I LOOOOVE the SMG gearbox! Through corners, though, the M3 is more poised and better balanced. The M6 always feels a little bit twitchy when you have it on the limit, like it's just begging you to go too far and ruin your day. The M3, on the other hand, is never scary and always feels predictable. It's definitely the faster car point to point, if there are corners in the way...

To sum it up, if you want tail out thrills, brutal performance and fireworks every time you drive, go for an M6, but be aware that it may just turn round and bite you if you lose your concentration for just a second. If, however, you want the perfect compromise between luxury and performance, probably the finest handling four-seater on the market and are prepared to sacrifice a little straight line performance, the M3 is the car for you.

Hope that helps!
I understand what you are saying and agree with you.
Just funny a car that does 0-60 in 4.4-4.8sec is considered compromising a bit on straight-line performance.
      10-30-2007, 05:38 PM   #15
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
I understand what you are saying and agree with you.
Just funny a car that does 0-60 in 4.4-4.8sec is considered compromising a bit on straight-line performance.
The best number thus far is 4.3 and don't forget M-DCT
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 05:52 PM   #16
rick berry
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT/ 2014 750li

Thanks Filth. You really do have a gift for explaining about your feelings and
obervations about cars. At the two day M school in South Carolina I asked a
similar question. A couple of instructors thought that even though the M6 is a bullet in a straight line, the M3 would lap quicker. This seems to be proving
to be true. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 06:17 PM   #17
PrinceSmooth
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2012 BMW X6 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
wow, numbers like that will make me reconsider getting a manual transmission; the surprising thing about the e46 m3's was amazing ability of the SMG to control the car as would a manual tranny... so the DCT seems to be confirmed for me if it lives up to it...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 06:22 PM   #18
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceSmooth View Post
wow, numbers like that will make me reconsider getting a manual transmission; the surprising thing about the e46 m3's was amazing ability of the SMG to control the car as would a manual tranny... so the DCT seems to be confirmed for me if it lives up to it...
Not quite sure what you mean about SMG. We did not get the same launch control program on the E46 M3 as they got in EU and probably the rest of the world. For US cars the E46 M3 manual transmission and a very good driver, was faster than the SMG equipped car. I am not sure if this conclusion applies to EU cars as well.

Basically BMW likely totally lied about SMG shift times. I think they quoted to shift fork movement time as .065-.08 seconds not the time for the clutch+shift+clutch time.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 06:50 PM   #19
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Yes, I left off 4.3.

I know of DCT. Remember S and I are co-founders of the 6mt club.
      10-31-2007, 06:57 AM   #20
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 V8

Quote:
Hey Filthy, you are so right. It really is incredible and I still haven't run it in yet. You seem to travel similar roads to me - maybe I'll see you on the road some time!! That would be intresting, no? I know your plate, mine begins with 'M3'. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 11:33 AM   #21
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
Rep

Hey, it's the 31st! Just realised that you picked your car up three days ago. You may wish to consider surgery to remove that grin!!

I'm sure you must have uploaded a report, so I'm going to go look for it now...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 12:01 PM   #22
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 V8

Quote:
Hey, it's the 31st! Just realised that you picked your car up three days ago. You may wish to consider surgery to remove that grin!!

I'm sure you must have uploaded a report, so I'm going to go look for it now...

Filthy, it's not really a report. I did it quite quickly. Here's the link:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92836

Cheers.
Appreciate 0