BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-02-2007, 12:52 PM   #23
Leg
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 V8 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Leg,

Your points are fair and do make a lot of sense. But in a way the M3 and M6 are a bit like the TT/RS and the R8, two cars offering similar performance and in fact with the M3 you are getting more rear space, better handling and dare I say it much better looks/design and all for £30K less.

I BMW seem fit to offer this then surely Audi are capable of doing the same. The talk I hear about the TT was in early development both transverse and the traditional engine mounting were both considered and believe it or not both catered for in the design, maybe Audi will move the A3 away for the VW Golf roots and both it and the face-lift TT when it comes will change to the same as the rest of the Audi line-up with the same quattro system, who knows. But back to the design, like I said both were catered for so maybe it isn't such a big thing to do changes after all.

Like I said it news I thought worst sharing with the group but I reckon I will pick and chose before post something like this again as clearly some people felt it wasn't news worthy.
It is worth sharing but will generate heated debate. The only people that annoy me are those who act liek rumour is fact, not you, others.

Audi dont have a record of doing what BMW do. They dont usually release more than one RS model at a time, they dont crossover models either like BMW do.

It is all academic anyway, there will never be a V8 TT, period. In fact, I'm only here because I got sick of waiting for them to announce a TT RS which would have had my money had it been 2.5T, Quattro, RS badged and kitted and £40K ish. It isnt, I couldnt, hence an M3 which is the only 2+2 400 plus bhp coupe for £50K on the market from a decent marque.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 06:43 PM   #24
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenz View Post
tt-rs vs M3 ???? what are we talking about ??
1. audi tt is competitor to cayman slk z4
2. there won't be a v8 in a tt
3. audi will have a decent competitor to m3 with the new rs5 and rs4 which i both expect to beat BMW...sorry to say...on the other hand i also expect them to be much more expensive

still waiting for delivery of my m3 2nd week of november :-)))
You feel the TT is more a competitor to the Z4 or Cayman than the M3. And this is based on what ? It must be purely price as in every other way the TT isn't like either of them.

The TT is a 2+2 which neither the Cayman or Z4 aren't, oh yeah but there is another BMW with 2 doors which is and it's the 3series Coupe and at the top of it's tree sits the M3 which if Audi did bring out a 350+hp version would compete on performance as a rough guess on weight would be 1450Kgs meaning a similar PTW.

I know the RS5 will be a more direct competitor to the M3, being of a similar size but that not to say that a similar power TT wouldn't be nicking sales as well, so I did see the relevance in the thread.

Leg, reckons there will be no TT with a V8, who know there is much talk about engine possibilities, including like he suggested a 5cylinder Bi-turbo but the engine choice isn't as important as the output power, it's the thing that will determine what a car is to compete with.

Maybe I think more out of the box than other people and that is why I see such a TT as a rival.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 07:09 PM   #25
Leg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Maybe I think more out of the box than other people and that is why I see such a TT as a rival.
Out of the box - making it up. Whats the difference? ROFL. Think what you like, Ingolstadt isnt inside your head.

Tell you what, when a V8 TT appears Ill buy you one eh. As much chance of me shagging Kylie Minogue and trust me, I write to her on a daily basis.

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 07:16 PM   #26
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
You feel the TT is more a competitor to the Z4 or Cayman than the M3. And this is based on what ? It must be purely price as in every other way the TT isn't like either of them.

The TT is a 2+2 which neither the Cayman or Z4 aren't, oh yeah but there is another BMW with 2 doors which is and it's the 3series Coupe and at the top of it's tree sits the M3 which if Audi did bring out a 350+hp version would compete on performance as a rough guess on weight would be 1450Kgs meaning a similar PTW.

I know the RS5 will be a more direct competitor to the M3, being of a similar size but that not to say that a similar power TT wouldn't be nicking sales as well, so I did see the relevance in the thread.

Leg, reckons there will be no TT with a V8, who know there is much talk about engine possibilities, including like he suggested a 5cylinder Bi-turbo but the engine choice isn't as important as the output power, it's the thing that will determine what a car is to compete with.

I agree that the TT is a better choice than the Z4 because of the rear seats. But I would say that makes it more of a 1 series Coupe rival instead of the E92. The E92 is more spacious etc.

I do give it to you for thinking out of the box, you made a good point about the 6 having LESS space inside than the 3 Coupe. I totally agree, infact I was arguing with someone that this will steal the 6 series sales! Honestly, I dont think I'd buy either but the 3 would be my choice if I had to pick...

Anyway, there is talk about a 5cylinder turbo, but that wont be the S or RS model I'm sure. A while back I actually heard that this engine is to rival BMWs 3.0TT. Time will tell I guess. I agree that the engine isnt so important aslong as Audi delivers the performance which I'm sure it will. The new RS6 580bhp V10TT comes to mind
      11-02-2007, 07:17 PM   #27
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leg View Post
Tell you what, when a V8 TT appears Ill buy you one eh. As much chance of me shagging Kylie Minogue and trust me, I write to her on a daily basis.

So it's your letters that I throw in the bin every morning.

OK, so it might not be a V8 but it does look like there will be a TT positioned about the TT/S, whether it's a RS model or not is up for debate as like you said Quattro only make one RS at a time and at present it's the RS6 taking that slot.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 07:26 PM   #28
Leg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So it's your letters that I throw in the bin every morning.

OK, so it might not be a V8 but it does look like there will be a TT positioned about the TT/S, whether it's a RS model or not is up for debate as like you said Quattro only make one RS at a time and at present it's the RS6 taking that slot.
You are Kylie Minogue? Really? Err, ok then, any chance of a shag? To be fair at my stage of life, a cuddle would do.

As for a TT positioned about the TTS, I think you will find the S3 engined TT is 'about' the TTS or as near as dammit. Enjoy the turbo lag, I didnt.

Not sure who 'Quattro' are that make cars?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 07:31 PM   #29
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
for a TT positioned about the TTS, I think you will find the S3 engined TT is 'about' the TTS or as near as dammit.
You got it.
      11-02-2007, 07:35 PM   #30
Leg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
You got it.
Got what?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 07:39 PM   #31
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Got what?
the TT-S engine.
      11-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #32
Leg
Captain
Rep

I was being sarcastic.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 07:49 PM   #33
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I was being sarcastic.
You'll see
      11-02-2007, 07:57 PM   #34
Leg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
You'll see
Large male chicken

How is the R8 roadster going?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 08:01 PM   #35
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Large male chicken

How is the R8 roadster going?

It's goin great For real though, that sketch is just beautiful. Have you seen the body revisions they made to the R10 (R8 V10)? subtle but quite noticeable. Looks great to me
      11-02-2007, 09:55 PM   #36
paulyd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

I don't know why people have to be so hard on footie and I agree with Greg, I posted a thread about the ""US$ vs. the euro; Effect on the M3 price" and it got moved to some 'pricing' section which I didn't even know existed...

Also, I agree with what everyone is saying that the tt is not a direct competitor to the M3, but not everyone who is considering the M3 is limiting their options to "those cars with a usable back seat"
I'm sure there are plenty of people who consider 350Z, TT, M3, Corvette all at the same time. To say they are not competitors at all is a bit inaccurate. For instance, I want the M3 but would still consider a car without a backseat/unusable back seat (TT).

So basically, I don't see a problem posting this thread.

Thanks footie for posting and to others for clarifying the probable engine (not V8).
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 03:55 AM   #37
Leg
Captain
Rep

Just read that Audi have done a deal with Ferrari and there will be a TT RSF with a V12. 8.7 litres in a TT, definately going into production. Cant wait. Best bits will be the Crocodile skin seats, carbon fibre cupholders, elephant foreskin leather steering wheel and nuclear powered seat warmers. Glove box will actually be a microwave so no more cold Ginsters pastys!!!

How's that for thinking outside the box. We call it complete guff in Yorkshire but I'm willing to learn.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 06:40 AM   #38
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Leg,

I want one of them, when is it out.

I don't know why this thread got out of hand, maybe it's because we were talking about an Audi on what is a BMW website, similar things happen when it the other way round.

Maybe the Mods should close this as the chat has got ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 07:40 AM   #39
Leg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Leg,

I want one of them, when is it out.

I don't know why this thread got out of hand, maybe it's because we were talking about an Audi on what is a BMW website, similar things happen when it the other way round.

Maybe the Mods should close this as the chat has got ridiculous.
No its fine, problem you have with me on this subject is that to you guys it may be the first thread on the subject but its my 1000th, not to mention 400 'Which is best, the 2.0T FWD or 3.2 Quattro?' threads, a Million 'Which is best the Mk1 or Mk2?' and my all time favourite 'Will the S or RS TT have a tuned 2.0T, a 2.5TT, a 3.6V6 or a V8 engine?' so I'm a bit maxxed out on the whole subject.

Trust me Footie, if you want a really, really long thread with proper arguments and not this friendly stuff on this one, go to the TT Forum and post a thread in the Mk2 board titled '3.2 or 2.0T - which is best?'. If youd ont get 10 pages and at least 2 major slanging matches Im a monkeys uncle.

Actually if you want to have a really massively good time on the TTF post one titled 'The new TT, Is Rebel right or do you think Toshiba is right?. Guaranteed winner that one.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 11:12 AM   #40
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Leg,

I take it you were very disheartened with Audi and the TT is general. I wouldn't said I will never go back to Audi but at present the M3 is the car which has impressed me the most and am looking forward to getting behind the wheel.

The regards to this thread, I wasn't want it be overly long but didn't expect the type of remarks which were received. I am lucky enough to appreciate all brands, not just BMW and what I have seen here is plain ignorance from fellow fans who regard the M3 and BMWs in general as the only thing worth discussing.

Would someone explain why because I can't understand this type of behaviour. Hopefully someone with a more level head than certain people I care not to mention.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 12:28 PM   #41
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 530e XDrive

Quote:

Trust me Footie, if you want a really, really long thread with proper arguments and not this friendly stuff on this one, go to the TT Forum and post a thread in the Mk2 board titled '3.2 or 2.0T - which is best?'. If youd ont get 10 pages and at least 2 major slanging matches Im a monkeys uncle.

Actually if you want to have a really massively good time on the TTF post one titled 'The new TT, Is Rebel right or do you think Toshiba is right?. Guaranteed winner that one.
Oh yes indeedy, those are the best threads on the TTF !

Rebel and Tosh are the TTF 'characters'
      11-03-2007, 04:02 PM   #42
Leg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Leg,

I take it you were very disheartened with Audi and the TT is general. I wouldn't said I will never go back to Audi but at present the M3 is the car which has impressed me the most and am looking forward to getting behind the wheel.

The regards to this thread, I wasn't want it be overly long but didn't expect the type of remarks which were received. I am lucky enough to appreciate all brands, not just BMW and what I have seen here is plain ignorance from fellow fans who regard the M3 and BMWs in general as the only thing worth discussing.

Would someone explain why because I can't understand this type of behaviour. Hopefully someone with a more level head than certain people I care not to mention.
For my part its tongue in cheek, forums can get a bit boring with too much serious talk about cars and endless threads about 'Which wheels' etc.

With regards to the TT I still love my mk1 and intend to keep it alongside the M3. It will make a good bad weather car haivng quattro and well, I just like it.

I got it new in March 06 and have spent around £8000 modifying it, mostly so it corners properly. Pics below.

I was dissapointed with the mk2. I had hoped for a real performance version but Audi pretty much summed up their attitude towards the TT when the launch cars were a 2.0T with FWD only (on a 'sports coupe? I mean FFS Audi FWD??) and the same 3.2 engine that I had in mine with the same old 250bhp.

When it became clear the S (which probably wont be an S but just the TT 2.0T Quattro) would just have the laggy S3 engine and an RS wouldnt appear anytime soon I decided to dig a little deeper and get a proper sports car with RWD and 420bhp, namely the M3.

I think Audi really sell themselves short. This silly approach to RS versions where they only appear towards the end of a models production run is crap. BMW are much more in tune with their customers in my opinion and make more exciting cars from a drivers perspective (Engines, handling etc) although Audi tend to be better looking cars.

I'm also looking for a little bomber to go to the train station in, nip to the shops etc and a visitor to my neighbour today had an Aygo Sport. Little 1.0 thing. I thought it looked great so I'm off for a look at one tomorrow.

My 3.2 TT, handles like no TT should....

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 04:17 PM   #43
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Leg,

I am interested in your TT, what handling mods did you do?

I use to have a TT225 Coupe a long time ago but with family commitments it had to go, now with the second car this allowed me to pick something with two doors again and I went for the S5 when it came out. It a great car and is almost as quick as the M3 on normal roads, but like you said it doesn't have much passion, sure it does everything very well indeed and in fact a little to good because you can go down a twisty road without breaking sweat and wonder was it me that just did that or was it the car. That's why I decided on the M3, it seems to match the S5 on the drive-ability but makes you feel alive when you are really going for it.

Well that's the hope when I finally get it.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 07:48 PM   #44
Leg
Captain
Rep

Been asked a few times for the full spec so I have it saved in a Word file, handling mods in bold. Seems like just a few items but thats where most of the cost went. The car now never understeers and is prone to oversteer if I push it, mostly it just grips and goes. I drive it like I stole it most of the time and with around 275bhp it never really challenges me. The M3 however may well put the fear of God into me the way I drive. S5 is anice car, a colleague is about to order the 3.0Tdi quattro Sport and the interior is very nice indeed. Just felt a bit big and more of a cruiser to me, nowt wrong with that, just not what I was looking for.

2006 March V6 6 speed manual
Phantom black
red leather
TT Shop armrest in red leather
Single Cupholder
JVC TFT MP3 DVD Stereo
RA Plus
Parking sensors (honest officer)
TomTom hardwired on vent mount
Parrot 3200 CS
Nokia cradle, TT Shop knee rest mount
Underdash red LED footwell lighting
TT Shop boot mat
Safe in boot
Audi OEM rubber fitted mats
Modded ashtray with power for XDA & closes
Colour coded phantom black rear lights
Colour coded phantom black front lights
Double Xenon Blue White Angel lights
Smoked corners
Red Quattro badges
Eibach coilovers and springs 50mm drop
Forge Adjustable tie bars
R32 ARB
Sports Haldex
BBS CH 19 inch wheels
Pirelli PZero Nero 235/35/19 tyres

BMC Carbon Dynamic Airbox
Remap
Blueflame Exhaust
Red calipers with silver Audi rings
Double brake light conversion
Rear Audi rings removed
Audi S badge on rear and steering wheel
Aluminium tweeter rings
Aluminium surrounds on door openers (cockpit)
Appreciate 0