BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

11-03-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
PIMP "E"
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
M3 review and the competition

See 2008 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG2008 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
by Matthias Pfannmuller

Affalterbach, Germany -- In these ecologically conscious times, sports-sedan buyers may be looking to downsize their next new car's dimensions, but not necessarily the power. Firebreathing compact sedans are more popular than ever, and the competition is heated.

To meet this demand, Mercedes-Benz has pumped up its all-new C-Class in the form of the C63 AMG, slated to hit U.S. dealers in April. Powered by AMG's normally aspirated 6.2-liter-V-8, the C63 makes 457 bhp at 6800 rpm and 443 lb.-ft. of torque at 5000 rpm. This output is delivered to the rear wheels through an AMG Speedshift Plus 7G-Tronic (a 7-speed auto gearbox with manual mode).

In Pictures: 2008 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG

There is certainly no lack of performance -- the 3750-lb. car accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds, says Mercedes, with top speed electronically limited at 155 mph. Equip it with the optional driver's package, though, and top speed runs an unfettered 174 mph.

More Autos Stories
Other auto articles from RoadandTrack.com:

In Pictures: Bugatti Veyron In Pictures: Venom 1000 Twin Turbo Viper Video: 0-200-mph Acceleration Video: Speed Kings Road Test No less important is a dynamic attitude. Mercedes heeded past criticism that the C55 AMG looked dull in comparison with other power players like the BMW M3 and Audi RS 4. Therefore, AMG took the new C-Class to the gym and the result is a buff body. Every visual part from the A-pillar forward is different. The hood is 2.8 in. longer and topped with showpiece power domes. The new angled grille is flanked by more aggressive fenders needed to accommodate a 1.4-in.-wider track and larger wheels. But the optional 19-in. alloy rims won't be available in the U.S.

Like the outward appearance, the cabin is also revised, including a new 3-spoke steering wheel with paddle shifters, and a special AMG readout in the center display that turns bright red when reaching the rev limiter. In addition, there are all-new sport seats, which give firm but comfortable support, though I felt I was sitting a bit high. AMG chief engineer Tobias Moers explains that the C63 had to use the stock C-Class seat positioning to meet safety certification.

See 2008 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMGAs I didn't want to wait until next spring, I drove one of the existing seven C63 models around AMG's home in Affalterbach. Starting the engine, there's a deep rumble from the four exhaust pipes announcing what is to come.

Depending on the shift mode selected -- Comfort, Sport or Manual -- gears will change with different speed. This supports the different character of the C63 AMG. You can easily cruise at 60 mph in top gear with less than 2000 rpm registering on the tach. Pressing the pedal down summons thrust that doesn't seem to stop. And at intermediate throttle openings, power delivery is smooth. However, I'd prefer the gearbox to work a little faster on the automatic upshifts under normal acceleration.

When you push the C63 hard, wheelspin isn't far away, but is controlled smoothly by the new 3-mode ESP system. Fully engaged, it avoids any spin, while the ESP Sport setup allows the C63 AMG's tail to step out. Still, to be on the safe side here, only experienced drivers should switch the system off completely. This latest AMG model offers an advanced safety package and the brakes are among the best, period.

Fuel mileage is yet to be announced, but expect a rating close to that of the CLK63 AMG, at 13 mpg city, 20 mpg highway.

Summing up, the strongest C-Class ever is tempting with finely honed driving dynamics, while providing more comfort than its German rivals. This is one well-trained automobile, fit and ready to rumble with the best that BMW has to offer.

See 2008 Lancer Evolution X2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X
by Sam Mitani and Photos by Koichi Ohtani

Hokkaido, Japan -- He's the last guy you would imagine being the chief engineer of the Lancer Evolution. The first time you meet Hiroshi Fujii, you could easily mistake him for an accountant or a video-game programmer, but this soft-spoken gentleman has been the creative force behind the ridiculously fast and flashy Lancer Evolution for the past several years. Known among Evo enthusiasts as Mr. Evo, he presented us with a new version of his "baby," one that he said will redefine the brand and broaden its appeal.

To readers of Road & Track, the latest Evolution, dubbed Evo X (ten), hardly needs introduction. We featured it on the cover of our June issue, and although at the time the story was based on early inside information, it was correct about everything regarding the new Mitsubishi, including its styling and drivetrain. On a warm summer day in Hokkaido, we were formally introduced to the 2008 Lancer Evolution, and given an opportunity to put the car through its paces on a variety of different venues at Mitsubishi's proving grounds near the city of Tokachi.

In Pictures: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

All you need to do is look at the Evo X to realize that it's a different animal from its predecessor. It's noticeably bulkier than the last model, and although overall length remains about the same, every other dimension has grown significantly. Width and height are 71.3 and 58.3 in., respectively, and wheelbase is 104.3 in., an inch longer than the IX.

But the new Evo still retains its "bad-boy racer" spirit, thanks to its aggressive overall styling. Based on the Lancer sedan, the Evo X has the face of a bull shark getting ready to bite its prey. A massive grille reminiscent of the Audi S4 dominates the front end, while large canted headlights provide a nasty glare. The rear is highlighted by a flashy wing and subtle underbody diffuser, both functional, providing asphalt-sticking downforce at high speed. Vents on the hood suggest something wonderfully wicked resides underneath.

As we predicted five months ago, the latest Evo is powered by a turbocharged version of Mitsubishi's new-generation 2.0-liter inline-4, known in-house as the 4B11. While displacement remains unchanged from the 4G63 (in the Evo IX), this new aluminum-block powerplant is vastly improved. For one, it's lighter by about 27 lb., thanks to its aluminum construction. It also features Mitsubishi's variable-valve control technology (MIVEC) on both the intake and exhaust -- the 4G63 had it on the intake side only.

See 2008 Lancer Evolution XIt comes mated to either a 5-speed manual or the TC-SST, a new twin-clutch 6-speed semiautomatic transmission (more on this later). The overall result is slightly more power and torque than its predecessor with better or equal fuel economy. The turbocharged 4B11 produces 295 bhp at 6500 rpm and 300 lb.-ft. of torque at 4400.

Sounds like a winner, right? Yes, but with an asterisk.

That this engine is superior to the one it replaces is irrefutable. However, because the new Evo is about 300 lb. heavier than the outgoing model, it's a step or two slower getting to 60 mph and the quarter mile (we chose the 5-speed manual to perform our acceleration tests after Fujii informed us that the TC-SST's launch character was still not finalized). Rev the engine to 5500 rpm (limited by the launch-control mechanism), and drop the clutch. The four tires chirp and send the 3345-lb. beast on its way.

The Evo X gains momentum smoothly, almost too smoothly for hard-core forced-induction fans. Absent is the turbocharger surge that comes on at the 5000- to 6000-rpm mark. In fact, the 4G63 feels and sounds like a naturally aspirated 6-cylinder. Although the new car doesn't quite match the Evo IX's prowess in a straight line, it's quick nonetheless. It reached 60 mph in 5.2 seconds and dashed through the quarter in 13.8 sec.

How will the Evo faithfuls react when they find out that their new hero is slower than the previous model? It could get ugly, but let's hope they take into consideration the rationale behind the car's weight gain. Yes, the new Evo is physically larger -- with more interior space for occupants -- but the main reason is the application of new technology that makes the car a much more nimble machine.

U.S.-spec models will finally get AYC (Active Yaw Control). Previously reserved for Japan-spec models only, this new technology makes the Evo X one of the best-handling sports sedans in the world. AYC controls torque distribution of the rear wheels via a yaw-rate sensor to enhance cornering performance on all types of driving surfaces; it drastically reduces under- and oversteer.

Also in the mix is S-AWC (Super-All Wheel Control) that combines all of the car's electronic sensors to maximize safety during hazardous driving conditions. S-AWC utilizes the car's ACD (Active Center Differential), AYC, ASC (Active Stability Control) and ABS (Active Braking System) to regulate torque and braking force for all four wheels.

Combine this new technology with the Evo's taut suspension system (which is largely unchanged from the last model and includes Bilstein dampers for MR models) and rigid body (39-percent increase in beam stiffness and 64-percent increased torsional stiffness), and you have one of the most agile machines in the marketplace. With ASC turned off and AYC on, the new Evo registered an impressive 0.96g around the skidpad and ran through the slalom at a brisk 67.2 mph, a step slower than the Evo IX partially due to a slower steering ratio.

See 2008 Lancer Evolution XAs impressive as the S-AWC is, perhaps the most noteworthy item on the new Evo is the TC-SST (Twin Clutch-Sportronic Shift Transmission). Like the DSG gearbox found in Audi/Volkswagen cars, the TC-SST is a manual-based transmission that provides a fully automatic mode and super-fast manual shifting via paddles behind the steering wheel.

The TC-SST has three different "full automatic" settings for various driving conditions: Normal, Sport and S-Sport. Normal is ideal for cruising, while Sport is meant for spirited driving on a twisty road...S-Sport is intended for an all-out attack on a track and is much more aggressive than the sportiest DSG mode. At this setting the gearbox won't upshift unless the tach needle is pegged at redline, and it downshifts as soon as you slow for a corner.

Around the 2.0-mile road circuit, the TC-SST worked flawlessly in both manual and full automatic modes. The only problem was it had trouble putting power down off the line, but Fujii assured me that this would be fixed before the car hits U.S. soil in January.

Also present at the track was a U.S.-spec 5-speed manual Evo IX, which I took for a few hot laps for comparison. "The Evo X is a nicer car," I told Fujii, "but the Evo IX is edgier and quicker."

Fujii responded barely above a whisper: "The Evo IX just seems quicker. I'm positive that the Evo X is faster around the track. The AYC gives it that edge, and you lose nothing with the TC-SST in S-Sport, even in full auto mode."

No way. This time, I had someone clock me. First up was the Evo IX. The car took off like a bullet, and it exhibited amazing balance through the sweepers and esses. The IX clocked in at 1 minute 55.20 sec. Now it was time for the Evo X in full auto mode. The TC-SST was fantastic, shifting exactly where I would have if I were in control. Also, I realized I was doing much less steering through most of the corners because the car wasn't getting out of shape. I went through the esses without any steering correction, virtually flat-out. I crossed the finish line in 1:54.18, more than a second faster than the IX!

This was enough to convince me that the Evo X, despite being a bit softer around the edges, is a superior car. Period. Mr. Evo smiled. Although he speaks in a whisper, I realized that he lets his car do the talking, and it talks mighty loud indeed.

See 2008 BMW M3 Coupe2008 BMW M3 Coupe
by Patrick Hong

Marbella, Spain -- Finally, after much anticipation during the past year, we are able to climb aboard the latest, if not the most famous, performance car in the BMW model lineup, the M3.

Turn on the ignition and the M3 wakes up with a purr. Stomp on the throttle and the silky-smooth V-8 comes alive with a roar. The BMW 4.0-liter engine is capable of pumping out an impressive 414 bhp at 8300 rpm and 295 lb.-ft. of torque at 3900 rpm. And according to the folks from Munich, the car can rocket from 0 to 62 mph in 4.2 seconds.

In Pictures: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Through southern Spain's fantastic winding mountain roads, the new M3 feels right at home. On open stretches of straightaway, the car is fast. But instead of a sudden rush of speed as you put the pedal to the metal, the BMW builds momentum smoothly and quickly. It is not until about 4000 rpm that the V-8 really begins to sound out its power through the intake and exhaust.

Around the high-speed sweepers and tight twisties, the M3's exceptional chassis balance and power really shine. The car is sure-footed and confidence-inspiring, despite slippery conditions during our drive due to sandy conditions on the road. However, if the BMW does lose traction at the rear, it does so in such a progressive manner that there's plenty of time to correct without much effort.

The new M3 appears the most menacing from the front. The bulge on the hood flanked by two air vents and the blacked-out carbon-fiber roof give the car an aggressive stance. In profile and around the rear, the car appears softer and more laid-back, except for the quad exhaust tips that hint at the vehicle's performance capabilities.

Unfortunately for diehard fans in the U.S., the M3 will not go on sale until spring of 2008. Pricing has not been announced, but expect to see the sticker price around $60,000. For more details on the BMW M3, checkout the October 2007 issue of Road & Track.