BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

10-26-2007, 02:43 PM   #89
ilron
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & E60 520d - soon an X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Seems it actually doesn't.

But, I can see why it would be hard to tell given that the amount of assistance is also changing. IOW, while you can tell something is going on, it would be tough to determine exacty what it is.
I will have to check again, but it sounds reasonable that the steering ration does not change, just the power assist. Then again, the power assist makes it possible to park the car with your little finger it might be this that fooled me.
      10-26-2007, 05:23 PM   #90
mwilli
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, TiAg of course

I ordered the Tech package today, I was debating it for a little, but I do want the ability to adapt the car to my style and for resale value.
      10-28-2007, 04:09 PM   #91
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
I wish I were as convinced, Greg.

I am quite convinced that MServotronic only varies forces (level of assist), and that MDrive changes the way in which those forces vary.

What am not convinced of is that, seperate from that technology, the ratio of the steering is not also varying.

Not that it matters at this point, because that would not be effected by MDrive one way or the other. So we are basically OT. But it has now become a big curiousity of mine.
As the M3 aftersales training told us the M3 is not available with active steering. So the Steering ratio doesn't vary, it's fixed at 12.5:1.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 08:14 PM   #92
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
As the M3 aftersales training told us the M3 is not available with active steering. So the Steering ratio doesn't vary, it's fixed at 12.5:1.

Best regards, south
Well, I do agree now that it is fixed, south.

However, I don't agree that the lack of the presence of the technology branded as "Active Steering" in this car directly implies that the ratio does not vary. Active Steering includes a variable ratio, yes, but also (and perhaps more importantly given the "active" description) the car will steer for you under certain conditions. In other words, BMW could use a variable ratio in a car without Active Steering marketing nomenclature applied to it.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 08:40 PM   #93
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Steering ratio

Quote:
Well, I do agree now that it is fixed, south.

However, I don't agree that the lack of the presence of the technology branded as "Active Steering" in this car directly implies that the ratio does not vary. Active Steering includes a variable ratio, yes, but also (and perhaps more importantly given the "active" description) the car will steer for you under certain conditions. In other words, BMW could use a variable ratio in a car without Active Steering marketing nomenclature applied to it.
It's not the lack of Active Steering that is the issue, it's the presence of M Servotronic, which as my previous post described, does not have variable ratio, only variable assist. The reason it may be listed as "average 12.5:1" some places, I'm theorizing, is that the ratio will vary slightly though the range due to the geometry of the steering links.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 08:39 PM   #94
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo2003 View Post
I'm an enthusiast, but also a realist. For 2009 or 2010 MY the M3 will get more ponies by way of turbocharging or a V10 (if it fits).
Are you drunk?
Appreciate 0