BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

EXXEL Distributions

10-22-2013, 03:35 AM   #1
Lazza
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport

On the M3 Hunt - Advice Please

Hi Guys,

The 330d has gone.

I now get the train to work.

This means only one thing............ It's V8 time!

Any major points to look out for on the earlier ones? - def want a coupe.

What were the teething probs on the earlier models? What should I be looking out for?

What are your thoughts on the DCT/manual??

I've had 2 E46 M3s, but I suppose it's a totally new car (or is it?!). Do they use VANOS?

Talk to me boys/girls

Cheers

Last edited by Lazza; 10-22-2013 at 03:36 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
Lucrecio84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: TTE92 m3/ F10 CP M5

you want to buy at least 09+ so that you at least have a more updated navi. No comment on whether or not you should go with DCT or Manual.... Don't wanna start a war. I will say this though. If you are going to choose DCT, make sure the car is still under warranty. Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
Gbiz
Fo Shizzle
Rep
Drives: .

Definitely an >'09. The tail lights and iDrive changed. After that, it comes down to mileage, color combination, and the different types of packages you want, i.e. ZCP, premium, cold weather. It takes a while to find the right one at the right price. Stay patient and persistent. I scoured Cars.com, Autotrader.com, eBay, and even Carmax on a daily basis before I found my M3. You also have a plethora of knowledge on the forum that you can tap for advice. Good luck on your search!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
Lazza
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport

Cheers guys. I didn't realize there was a change in 09. You're both in the US, so may be different in the UK, but i'll certainly check out any upgrades, changes, LCIs etc

thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
itrsteve
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

I'm going to tread lightly on the 6MT/DCT stuff, the only reason I feel compelled to chime in because it has been the large portion of my internal dialog the last two months trying to decide. I think about boobs 30% less than normal because of this and it's scary.

The best thing I can tell you is to drive both. I consider myself a "purist" but in my e92 hunting it seemed that well over half were DCT cars so I decided that I should drive one before dismissing it. After driving for a few minutes I was convinced that I could safely include DCT's in my search as well.

The push over the cliff in favoring the DCT is that I'm an avid cyclist and statistically I'll have a collar bone or leg injury where operating a manual will not be feasible. Plus I'm a track rat that has always sucked at rev matching in heavy braking zones, normally I screw up more than I help so I look forward to technology to make up for my lack of talent.

Plus I don't really buy into the whole purity argument, the car is riddled with high tech crap... What's the harm of adding in one more thing? At this point my only major draw to 6MT is that the resale years down the road will be much higher.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
alipali
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

6MT earns more cool points from onlookers, gawkers, fanboys, etc.,

I'm bored shitless driving the wife's automatic.

Downshifting is fun. Period.
Appreciate 0