BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

10-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #199
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandye90m3 View Post
LOL, I'm just saying. Who are you to judge? Your comment just tells how much more of a loving parent he is over you. What kind of snobby comment are you making towards the OP, are you just going to stab him like that because he is asking a question?

My dad bought me a 09 M3, and I'm still alive. So I don't know what you guys are talking about. Some of you think that everyone is the same and goes through the same steps through out life. Well I'm sorry to break it to you, some kids learn from others' mistakes. Some kids are smarter than others, and know how to make proactive decisions.

Now, I'm only 18. But if the OP thinks that his daughter is responsible enough to drive such a car, then go ahead and do it. Coming from an Indian family, the one thing that is penetrated through my brain is trust and loyalty to my parents and if this is something that the OP has then I think it is no problem.
Another thing that unfortunately penetrates the Indian culture is for (some) people to have to show off their wealth to others in the community by doing things like buying their kid a $70,000 car. These are the same people that throw their kids a ridiculously lavish wedding and invite 1000 people, most of whom the bride and groom don't even know. Again, just for the purposes of showing off.

Last edited by LarThaL; 10-18-2011 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #200
rye m3
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3

[/QUOTE]

Man, it'd be awesome to be 18 again and know everything about everything ...[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Statistics prove you wrong. Of course everyone is different and everyone is raised differently, however if the numbers STILL show that fast cars are more dangerous (across the spectrum) then what does that tell you? It tells me that chances are more likely that even if my daughter is responsible enough to handle it, one of her idiot friends might not be, and the second she lets that idiot friend drive her home one night because she's tired or whatever, then the accident could occur.

Like I said, it's up to the OP. He can do whatever he wants. Pretty sure the question was posed as a troll anyway to get all of these heated responses, especially since he made that first post and has been AWOL since....
This thread is gold. Full of posts from 20 something's that think they are mature and know everything that got very expensive cars from their parents or as a result of their parents. The rest of us know a little better the only way you learn, from experience. To live now is to live in a world that wants instant gratification and to drive "the car of my dreams" at 20. What are you going to be dreaming about at 25? The next most expensive material possession? Good luck to you guys and don't get yourselves killed - an M3 will make it very easy to do.

The thread has a life of it's own even without the OP who is long gone!

2007 997S - sold
2003 E46 M3 Steel Grey on Red- sold
1997 E36 M3 Arctic Silver on Black- sold
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #201
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

You're kidding, right?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 11:24 PM   #202
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeBMW2 View Post
Aviators I can understand. But if I see a girl with leg warmers I'm throwing them down a flight of stairs

I wouldn't throw any of these from my bed let alone down some stairs... I'm just sayin...
      10-18-2011, 11:45 PM   #203
benn.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
You don't get a professional racing driver at the age of 16 driving an M3 on the street. M3 is a horrible car to learn high performance driving anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
If someone has the makings of a pro driver, it would not matter what they were driving, be it sports car, mini-van, or tractor. They would drive it to the absolute limit. Giving someone an M3 doesn't make them a better driver anymore than giving someone a Stradivarius violin makes them a concert violinist.

clearly i was joking
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 12:01 AM   #204
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by benn. View Post
clearly i was joking
my bad. The whole thread turned into a joke anyways.
      10-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #205
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rye m3 View Post
This thread is gold. Full of posts from 20 something's that think they are mature and know everything that got very expensive cars from their parents or as a result of their parents. The rest of us know a little better the only way you learn, from experience. To live now is to live in a world that wants instant gratification and to drive "the car of my dreams" at 20. What are you going to be dreaming about at 25? The next most expensive material possession? Good luck to you guys and don't get yourselves killed - an M3 will make it very easy to do.

The thread has a life of it's own even without the OP who is long gone!
I'm 27, saved money from 25 months in Iraq, and bought this car.

Everything I have I earned through sweat, blood, and extremely long hours. My parents don't help me with anything. I help THEM with what they need.

Thank you for confirming to me what happens when you make wild assumptions.
      10-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #206
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
I was wondering the same thing why we not have heard again from Captain Kirk ..... One of two things are possible ...

1) The Original Poster "Captain Kirk" is reading the posts and laughing his ass off at all the posts here as he reads them

or

2) Or he is waiting for the right post to realty impress him (like when he visits the Jay Leno show). Hahaha

I personally think this discussion has reached a final chapter ...

Oh, I'm here and I'm laughing alright. I never realized there would be such a fury of responses to this topic.

If you'd like to know... I've decided to not give it to my daughter and sell off my M3.
The irony is that my daughter would prefer her first car to be a 6MT!

Rest assured that whatever 6MT she may get, it will not be an M3 and she will have to contribute a significant amount towards the cost. Maybe something like a 1:1 match where I would help her with half.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #207
Silvertige
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 e92 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW 535i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
Oh, I'm here and I'm laughing alright. I never realized there would be such a fury of responses to this topic.

If you'd like to know... I've decided to not give it to my daughter and sell off my M3.

Rest assured that whatever 6MT she may get, it will not be an M3 and she will have to contribute a significant amount towards the cost. Maybe something like a 1:1 match where I would help her with half.

Kudo's and +1000.
      10-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #208
Silvertige
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 e92 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW 535i  [10.00]
Quote:
I never said that a 535is is a M3 ... nothing of the sort. I suggest you read my post again ... my daughter learned to drive in my then 535is and if I would not have felt comfortable in the way she drove the car after she completed her first 4 years of University I would have not given the car to her. Besides she was 22 at that time ...
Okay... but you did bring up your experience with your daughter as an example in reference to the OP's topic. My point is merely that an e92 is such a different animal that it's definitely not suitable for a new driver. A 22 year old is a different story. But so is an e28... which I love by the way.
      10-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #209
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertige View Post
Okay... but you did bring up your experience with your daughter as an example in reference to the OP's topic. My point is merely that an e92 is such a different animal that it's definitely not suitable for a new driver. A 22 year old is a different story. But so is an e28... which I love by the way.
Agreed on both points BTW my daughter still drives the e28 and here and then my e92 whenever I can be talked into it

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 01:05 PM   #210
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post

Somehow I had a hunch about the first part of your response and as for your decision I have to agree. It was somewhat different in my case my daughter was 22 and at that time deserved the gift (it was her wish) a gift that since then cost a few dollars in upkeep, however, we both still love the old girtl and will never ever part with the e28 (535is).

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 02:20 PM   #211
Pointerman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

All future responses to this thread should require your age in the first line.

I am 43. Soon to be 44.

As stated by many others, I realize now that I was an idiot when I was a teen. I was a moron in my 20s and a bit foolish in my 30s. I imagine when I am 50 that I will quickly realize that my 40s were not all that enlightened either and it will continue on until I take that long dirt nap. The whole "with age comes wisdom" thing just never seems to come to an end.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 02:22 PM   #212
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointerman View Post
The whole "with age comes wisdom" thing just never seems to come to an end.
+1 and i just turned 40 last week.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #213
I M STIG
RawAutos.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

I'm 25, an automotive journalist, I have an M3, my parents bought me my first car when I was 18, and it was a '96 328iS... I'll admit that even at 25 my parents still treat me well.

However, with that said, I've yet to have a speeding ticket, never a parking ticket, not even any accidents, outside of a small fender bender when I first got my license. I was jailed for a bogus street racing charge that I was able to prove I wasn't racing, and that's about it. I did some stupid things when I was a kid and had a nice car, but I never took my father's cars out. I sped, did some wild highway maneuvers and such, and I've been lucky not to hurt or kill myself or, more importantly, someone else.

I wouldn't buy my kid an M3 unless he was actually a professional racing driver, not just been to driving school, etc. He or she has to be racing on real road courses if I'm going to buy him this kind of car. 414 hp is still more car than many of the people on these forums can handle. We're still seeing grown-ass adults screw up their cars because they thought they could handle the car and/or conditions.

No reason to bring age into this, because I know plenty of teenagers who are far more mature than I am, can drive better than most, if not anyone, on this forum. Just because your parents buy you your cars or take care of you does not mean you're a dick and a spoiled brat. Most of the time it does, though, I'll admit.

2009 E90 M3| Jerez Black | Extended Silver Novillo with Brushed Aluminum | 6MT | EDC | Premium Package II | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | HD Radio | Heated front seats | Fold down rear seats | Moonroof | 19" wheels |
RawAutos.com
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #214
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post

I wouldn't throw any of these from my bed let alone down some stairs... I'm just sayin...
Ich stimme überein ... Wie mann so schön sagt "Nicht von Der Bettkante zu schieben" (Translation ---> I have to agree ... as we say so nicely "Not to push from the edge of the bed) ... mind you it looses some of it's flavour translating it

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 10-19-2011 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: minor edit ... added Translation --->
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #215
bates1325
2021 X3MC
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC / R8V10 Gated

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
I'm turning 18 tomorrow (everyone guns down, I don't want to get verbally killed by you guys) and yes I have an m3. The difference is that I worked my ass off working construction for my dad at $8 an hour whenever I got the chance since age 14 and saved all my cash so I could buy a nice car. After 3 years of hard work and saving I payed 12k (parents have me 45k for a car) and saved 8k for myself and I picked out the x6. That was lemoned and the dealership gave me a 335iS in replace. Once hearing that it had the same engine as the x6 and the trouble we had with the n54 engine, my dad immediately returned the car and wanted to go to Audi but I wanted to stay with BMW. It just happened that there was a new m3 that was at an extremely great price available and my dad allowed me to get it with a few rules with it. I had to pay up the 8k to get the m3, I went to multiple performance driving school classes, and I had to remain in the top 5% of my class (school is ranked top 10 in the country). OH and continue to work and pay for gas and such. So yea I do believe each individual circumstance deserves its own answer. I wouldn't give it to a kid who doesn't have any sense of responsibility. But I'd give it to the kid who has never caused trouble, is mature, knows the value of a dollar, and overall has the responsibility of staying safe while enjoying a dream. Just my two cents, please don't attack me.

2021 X3MC Black / Black

My Engine Table Designs -> https://www.instagram.com/tombatesdesign/
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #216
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bates1325 View Post
I'm turning 18 tomorrow (everyone guns down, I don't want to get verbally killed by you guys) and yes I have an m3. The difference is that I worked my ass off working construction for my dad at $8 an hour whenever I got the chance since age 14 and saved all my cash so I could buy a nice car. After 3 years of hard work and saving I payed 12k (parents have me 45k for a car) and saved 8k for myself and I picked out the x6. That was lemoned and the dealership gave me a 335iS in replace. Once hearing that it had the same engine as the x6 and the trouble we had with the n54 engine, my dad immediately returned the car and wanted to go to Audi but I wanted to stay with BMW. It just happened that there was a new m3 that was at an extremely great price available and my dad allowed me to get it with a few rules with it. I had to pay up the 8k to get the m3, I went to multiple performance driving school classes, and I had to remain in the top 5% of my class (school is ranked top 10 in the country). OH and continue to work and pay for gas and such. So yea I do believe each individual circumstance deserves its own answer. I wouldn't give it to a kid who doesn't have any sense of responsibility. But I'd give it to the kid who has never caused trouble, is mature, knows the value of a dollar, and overall has the responsibility of staying safe while enjoying a dream. Just my two cents, please don't attack me.
Happy Birthday to you bates

Always drive safely, I know there is no need to tell you this since you acquired this fine car with your hard earned dollars I know very well how you feel. So once again Happy Birthday ... and many ... many more

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #217
bates1325
2021 X3MC
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC / R8V10 Gated

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Happy Birthday to you bates

Always drive safely, I know there is no need to tell you this since you acquired this fine car with your hard earned dollars I know very well how you feel. So once again Happy Birthday ... and many ... many more

Thankyou!! Haha and I will don't worry, I would never do anything to jeapordize my baby

2021 X3MC Black / Black

My Engine Table Designs -> https://www.instagram.com/tombatesdesign/

Last edited by bates1325; 10-19-2011 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #218
I M STIG
RawAutos.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Happy Birthday, big guy!

2009 E90 M3| Jerez Black | Extended Silver Novillo with Brushed Aluminum | 6MT | EDC | Premium Package II | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | HD Radio | Heated front seats | Fold down rear seats | Moonroof | 19" wheels |
RawAutos.com
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #219
I M STIG
RawAutos.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post

Well luckily those puppies won't stay on if they're in the bed...

RawAutos.com
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 06:53 PM   #220
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Quote:
I'm turning 18 tomorrow (everyone guns down, I don't want to get verbally killed by you guys) and yes I have an m3. The difference is that I worked my ass off working construction for my dad at $8 an hour whenever I got the chance since age 14 and saved all my cash so I could buy a nice car. ... So yea I do believe each individual circumstance deserves its own answer. I wouldn't give it to a kid who doesn't have any sense of responsibility. But I'd give it to the kid who has never caused trouble, is mature, knows the value of a dollar, and overall has the responsibility of staying safe while enjoying a dream. Just my two cents, please don't attack me.

Truly this thread is comedy gold. Being 18 and already having not one, but three high-priced performance cars all for $20k (not even the cost of half of one). God forbid you save for college or something ...
Appreciate 0