BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

02-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #23
m33
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.MichaelM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by m33 View Post
I don't understand why wouldn't you Pm or call ESS.... Heck call ACM , your not gonna get any help from
Anyone in here.
I talk to sal on a daily basis. We do business together. Anyways just wanted other people with the same kit to give some feedback or any information is much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #24
NikB316
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition, F83 M4

Mike,
Hope you managed to get this taken care of but would love to hear what the solution was. I am sure others in similar situations would benefit as well.

Mine was software related it appears. My cold start problem is now gone as Zak@Active very promptly took care of the software.

2014 M5 Competition Alpine/Sakhir
BMS Tune. Undercover Performance Custom Downpipes & Connector. H&R 10mm Spacers. BMW CF Rear Spoiler. IND Cosmetics. ALP & BEL Radar & Laser.
2011 Space Grey E92 M3 AA Gen 2 Lvl 3 586whp 398wtq SAE (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #25
Mr.MichaelM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3XC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikB316 View Post
Mike,
Hope you managed to get this taken care of but would love to hear what the solution was. I am sure others in similar situations would benefit as well.

Mine was software related it appears. My cold start problem is now gone as Zak@Active very promptly took care of the software.
I just took a video. Here is my car at FIRST start every morning. I re-start the car once and it works fine. Might be tune related. Hopefully Roman can give me a better perspective on what the issue is.

2015 F80 M3: JB4 and MPE

2022 G80 M3CX: At port
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #26
Mr.MichaelM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
I would suggest taking the car to ACM and have them check it out, they are your closest authorized service dealer. Having any issues with stalling on startup is not normal even in cold temps.
Roman,
I'm going to bring it to ACM for some other goodies I purchased. However I just uploaded a quick video on what the car does on first cold start-up. When you get a chance can you please look at it? and maybe even tell me what those codes are? So far I've seen engine fan? And secondary air valve but I may be wrong. Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #27
AlteredBe4st
First Pride
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.MichaelM3 View Post
I just took a video. Here is my car at FIRST start every morning. I re-start the car once and it works fine. Might be tune related. Hopefully Roman can give me a better perspective on what the issue is.

You car needs an exorcist! WTF!
      03-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #28
NikB316
Captain
Rep

Michael,
My cold start problem was a bit different as the revs were higher but not as jumpy (just as weird though!). I wasn't throwing any codes so it is harder to compare the two. If the codes weren't there before the install then I'm sure it's just a quick software fix. Sorry I didn't bother with the video since it was fixed like a day after posting. I can suggest getting the cold start coded off altogether even after the issue is addressed. I know several NA and FI guys that have had their cold starts coded off. Especially with having an exhaust the car is much "friendlier" for those early morning or late night wake up the neighbors starts. I have always hated the cold start program from my NA hardly modded '08 to this car. It would make the car unnecessarily "choppy" too while it warmed up on both M3s I had. I'll be at ACM Thursday afternoon so maybe I'll see you around if you're there!

BMS Tune. Undercover Performance Custom Downpipes & Connector. H&R 10mm Spacers. BMW CF Rear Spoiler. IND Cosmetics. ALP & BEL Radar & Laser.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #29
GIdriver
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.MichaelM3 View Post

My guess is tune related. Subscribed for solution.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #30
Mr.MichaelM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Michael,
My cold start problem was a bit different as the revs were higher but not as jumpy (just as weird though!). I wasn't throwing any codes so it is harder to compare the two. If the codes weren't there before the install then I'm sure it's just a quick software fix. Sorry I didn't bother with the video since it was fixed like a day after posting. I can suggest getting the cold start coded off altogether even after the issue is addressed. I know several NA and FI guys that have had their cold starts coded off. Especially with having an exhaust the car is much "friendlier" for those early morning or late night wake up the neighbors starts. I have always hated the cold start program from my NA hardly modded '08 to this car. It would make the car unnecessarily "choppy" too while it warmed up on both M3s I had. I'll be at ACM Thursday afternoon so maybe I'll see you around if you're there!
Thanks for all your input! I appreciate it. I already had the cold start tune before I went FI. I loved how quiet the car is on cold starts. The most weird part is usually when the engine malfunction comes on the cars idles rough. In this case the car is absolutely fine just on that first initial start up it happens.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 01:15 AM   #31
Jbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 FO M4

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [9.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikB316
Michael,
I actually have the same issue with revs bouncing slightly at a higher rpm than what Michael posted and I get no error codes.
Fire Orange F82 Built by Alekshop | Pure Stage 2 Turbos | Akrapovic Evolution and Downpipes | ESS T-500 Performance ECU Software | Evolution Racewerks Chargepipes | Gruppe M CAI | Awron Gauge w/ Valve Control | KW Clubsport | Brembo GT 380 F&R | 19" BBS FI-R | BMW Performance Seats, Aero, and Steering Wheel | Vorsteiner Diffuser | IND Cosmetics
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #32
NikB316
Captain
Rep

Jbook,
Interesting as it seems that maybe the Cold Start Program doesn't seem to agree as much with us FI guys. Have you had your Cold Start Program coded off? If you haven't done so I strongly recommend it. I wish I would have done it many miles ago. Car feels healthier without it.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #33
Jbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [9.44]
Quote:
Jbook,
Interesting as it seems that maybe the Cold Start Program doesn't seem to agree as much with us FI guys. Have you had your Cold Start Program coded off? If you haven't done so I strongly recommend it. I wish I would have done it many miles ago. Car feels healthier without it.
I had the AA tune before which removed the cold start. I guess I assumed the ESS tune for the SC came with that removed.
Fire Orange F82 Built by Alekshop | Pure Stage 2 Turbos | Akrapovic Evolution and Downpipes | ESS T-500 Performance ECU Software | Evolution Racewerks Chargepipes | Gruppe M CAI | Awron Gauge w/ Valve Control | KW Clubsport | Brembo GT 380 F&R | 19" BBS FI-R | BMW Performance Seats, Aero, and Steering Wheel | Vorsteiner Diffuser | IND Cosmetics
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #34
NikB316
Captain
Rep

Not 100% sure but check with ESS. Its a very quick fix that they can either send you a new software file or find someone local that does coding and you can get some other little things coded as well. Brighter angel eyes, lock stuff, etc.

BTW nice mod list!

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #35
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbook View Post
I had the AA tune before which removed the cold start. I guess I assumed the ESS tune for the SC came with that removed.
The cold start is required on the ESS kits. Apparently it gets all the fluids moving through the system.

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #36
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m View Post
The cold start is required on the ESS kits. Apparently it gets all the fluids moving through the system.
We suggest running the factory cold start due to the supercharger adding some additional drag to the motor when it is cold. Removing cold start can result in slightly less stable idle during cold starts. We have found this varies from car to car on the ones we have done. If anyone has cold start removed and is having issues with idle during cold start email software@esstuning.com with your VIN and we can supply you with a slighlty revised software version that can help. You can also check your software file if you have a copy of it and if it has "V13" in the description this is the lower idle version and can be revised by us if needed.

Small random idle fluctuations during cold start are normal but if you have normal cold start "which comes standard" on our kits and you are having abnormal issues with low idle during startup or driving contact your installation facility as this is not normal and can be a result of something hardware or installation related.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #37
Jbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [9.44]
Quote:
Not 100% sure but check with ESS. Its a very quick fix that they can either send you a new software file or find someone local that does coding and you can get some other little things coded as well. Brighter angel eyes, lock stuff, etc.

BTW nice mod list!
Thanks! I actually already have a bunch of coding done, but had the cold start removed by my previous tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
We suggest running the factory cold start due to the supercharger adding some additional drag to the motor when it is cold. Removing cold start can result in slightly less stable idle during cold starts. We have found this varies from car to car on the ones we have done. If anyone has cold start removed and is having issues with idle during cold start email software@esstuning.com with your VIN and we can supply you with a slighlty revised software version that can help. You can also check your software file if you have a copy of it and if it has "V13" in the description this is the lower idle version and can be revised by us if needed.

Small random idle fluctuations during cold start are normal but if you have normal cold start "which comes standard" on our kits and you are having abnormal issues with low idle during startup or driving contact your installation facility as this is not normal and can be a result of something hardware or installation related.
I don't have cold start removed then. I will email you a video next time, so you can tell me if what I am experiencing is normal. I will also follow up with my install facility as I need to get the blower fluid changed at 2500 miles. Thanks, Roman!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #38
Jbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [9.44]
I hafta give it up for Roman and AJ at ESS. Roman put me in contact with AJ who within an hour sent me an updated file and desktop software. After loading the software all of the annoying symptoms (free revving upon start up and jerky 2nd gear downshifting) were fixed! Working with Roman and AJ has completely reaffirmed my decision to go with an ESS supercharger. I now have, exactly what I was looking for! Thank you guys!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #39
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
I hafta give it up for Roman and AJ at ESS. Roman put me in contact with AJ who within an hour sent me an updated file and desktop software. After loading the software all of the annoying symptoms (free revving upon start up and jerky 2nd gear downshifting) were fixed! Working with Roman and AJ has completely reaffirmed my decision to go with an ESS supercharger. I now have, exactly what I was looking for! Thank you guys!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #40
E92inSG
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Great to hear of such good service! Makes the decision of which brand to go for if I decide to go FI
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 05:54 AM   #41
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92inSG View Post
Great to hear of such good service! Makes the decision of which brand to go for if I decide to go FI
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #42
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzm3edan View Post
You car needs an exorcist! WTF!
Hahaha...that steering wheel lights reminded me of knight rider's KITT car. Too much flashing lights...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #43
Stronghammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Thanks! I actually already have a bunch of coding done, but had the cold start removed by my previous tune.

I don't have cold start removed then. I will email you a video next time, so you can tell me if what I am experiencing is normal. I will also follow up with my install facility as I need to get the blower fluid changed at 2500 miles. Thanks, Roman!
Really ? I did not know this. Here is a quote copied from the ESS site
Service and Maintenance With the ESS Supercharger system, once installed and detailed nicely, the owner/driver can expect to close the bonnet and forget it.

Roman can you give a brief summary of what an average driver should do to maintain a ESS supercharger.

thanks
Mods: ESS VT1, MS test pipes, 19 BBS CH-R, Eibach pro springs, Painted reflectors, carbon fiber grills, Painted side markers with dark tinted lenses, 30% tint, Arkym rear diffuser, Innotech axle back exhaust, Performance spoiler
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #44
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronghammer View Post
Really ? I did not know this. Here is a quote copied from the ESS site
Service and Maintenance With the ESS Supercharger system, once installed and detailed nicely, the owner/driver can expect to close the bonnet and forget it.

Roman can you give a brief summary of what an average driver should do to maintain a ESS supercharger.

thanks
Break in oil change is at 2500 miles then every 7-8k miles after. Air filter should be cleaned or replaced when needed.

Last edited by sales@ESSTuning; 03-11-2013 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 0