BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-07-2022, 08:38 AM   #1
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Lux 8 Alternative/replacement bulbs

One of my Lux8 bulbs died and am looking for a cheaper alternative bulb. The Lux stuff doesnt appear last longer than 2 yrs anyway so it makes little sense to pay $200+

Can I just drop a bulb in like this as plug and play with the existing Lux hardware? - https://www.ebay.com/itm/19526888290...3ABFBMrLjU_-Jg

Last edited by neilum; 09-08-2022 at 06:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 02:46 PM   #2
jsport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 AW

My Lux I got used back in 2011 are still running strong. Maybe their new stuff isn't as good? Hard to say if those ebay ones will work with existing without testing the output voltage from the led drivers, but if they're the same, I don't see why not. Are you sure its the leds that died and not the driver? Have you swapped them to confirm?
      09-08-2022, 06:32 PM   #3
neilum
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsport View Post
My Lux I got used back in 2011 are still running strong. Maybe their new stuff isn't as good? Hard to say if those ebay ones will work with existing without testing the output voltage from the led drivers, but if they're the same, I don't see why not. Are you sure its the leds that died and not the driver? Have you swapped them to confirm?

Thanks for your input!

I will swap the bulbs and see if it follows.

It is frustrating, I bought the car used so I don't know how old they are, but the car in general has been driven 15K miles in total since 2013 so it hasnt been used much at all over the years so the bulbs cant have much time on them...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 09:36 PM   #4
Johnny E92
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsport View Post

Thanks for your input!

I will swap the bulbs and see if it follows.

It is frustrating, I bought the car used so I don't know how old they are, but the car in general has been driven 15K miles in total since 2013 so it hasnt been used much at all over the years so the bulbs cant have much time on them...
Hi, I have the same problem but the ones that failed in my car are cheap ebay Chinese ones, not the Lux 189. I have the Lux 189's to install this weekend actually. Went with the lux ones based on the feedback reviews etc.

The ones you posted a link to have huge led drivers, don't look like they would fit in the headlight housing at all like the Lux ones do (and other cheapies do).

As such I wouldn't go with those ones, others may chime in also.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 10:28 PM   #5
BlackDelta
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW E92 M3 ZCP

I have these in my E92s: https://a.co/d/4Ww4j1r. Been working fine for nearly 3 years in one car. Just installed a set in the other.

They don't illuminate the entire ring, but no LED bulbs do. 5 feet away in the day, you can't tell and at night they look great. I'll give them a thumbs up.

I considered the LUX but if I'm spending that much I might as well go all in and replace the entire headlight.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 09:45 AM   #6
neilum
Captain
Rep

I take back everything bad I may have said about Lux haha

I went to fix everything this morning, popped open the headlight cover and the bulb was on but sitting on the floor of the housing. It had popped out somehow.

I guess I know I am driving the car the way it should be!

15 minutes later and sore knuckles/fingers it is back in and working fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 04:02 PM   #7
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I have the Lux V3 with custom 5000k LEDs from Lux. They are still working good.

I had the "ballast" part of the bulbs go out once. I contacted Lux and they repaired it for me at a low cost and sent it back.

It is nice having something durable and repairable rather than the cheap stuff the goes into a landfill after it breaks.