BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

10-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
don40vette
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe

Megan Exhaust - First Impressions

I just recieved the Megan axle-back mufflers for my M3 and had them installed.

Price - You can't find better for an M3 aftermarket muffler. (closest will be the stock muffler mod)

Quality- High, looks like some very nice welds.
Quality vs Price- Very nice

Sound- really nice growl on lower rpm's and sounds like stock on upper rpm's cruising through 50 mph.

Drone- nothing up to 50 mph. Tomorrow I will take a 100 mile round trip cruise to the Texas Mile so I will check out all rpm's at all speeds up to 120 or so.

Looks- Standing behind car- sweet, perfect, straight.

Install- it was first install this muffler place ever did on an M3 and it took 1 hour 15 minutes. Asked me to look at install after completed and everything looked excellent.

Price- for install $137 and I gladly paid that.

Assessment- I am not expecting anything that really changes my feelings on this exhaust after I take my long cruise on the highway. If you are on the fence for this exhaust, do it. I'm sure there are better exhaust out there but at a very very high cost compared to this.
So I can say this is an outstanding value for the return and smiles it brings.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Sully1Time
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' MR440i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by don40vette View Post
I just recieved the Megan axle-back mufflers for my M3 and had them installed.

Price - You can't find better for an M3 aftermarket muffler. (closest will be the stock muffler mod)

Quality- High, looks like some very nice welds.
Quality vs Price- Very nice

Sound- really nice growl on lower rpm's and sounds like stock on upper rpm's cruising through 50 mph.

Drone- nothing up to 50 mph. Tomorrow I will take a 100 mile round trip cruise to the Texas Mile so I will check out all rpm's at all speeds up to 120 or so.

Looks- Standing behind car- sweet, perfect, straight.

Install- it was first install this muffler place ever did on an M3 and it took 1 hour 15 minutes. Asked me to look at install after completed and everything looked excellent.

Price- for install $137 and I gladly paid that.

Assessment- I am not expecting anything that really changes my feelings on this exhaust after I take my long cruise on the highway. If you are on the fence for this exhaust, do it. I'm sure there are better exhaust out there but at a very very high cost compared to this.
So I can say this is an outstanding value for the return and smiles it brings.
My thoughts exactly, Don't listen to the Megan bashers on here
      10-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
Shaun@AW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

I have a megan on my and it sound damn good

10-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
don40vette
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe

I normally believe you get what you pay for but in this case I'm not sure most can tell much of a difference between the $3-7K exhaust and the Megan. Are those louder, more rasp, more quality?
I say this, place an everyday car guy that loves horsepower, torque, and sound with an M3 with a megan exhaust and one of the 7K exhaust.
Not knowing the price of either I would think it is very close in both
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
Sully1Time
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I've been checking a lot of exhaust since i bought my M3 with the Megan already on it, almost everything is too loud. The Megan is just right. Cracks me up how many people on here think they're better then everyone cause the have a lot of money. Meanwhile they piss off the neighborhood with they're race exhaust that has no business on the street.
      10-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #6
abitrandom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 covertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully1Time
I've been checking a lot of exhaust since i bought my M3 with the Megan already on it, almost everything is too loud. The Megan is just right. Cracks me up how many people on here think they're better then everyone cause the have a lot of money. Meanwhile they piss off the neighborhood with they're race exhaust that has no business on the street.
Haha agreed!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

No need to go the other way and hate on the cool-aid drinkers. As long as everyone did their homework and is happy with the result its all good.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 12:29 AM   #8
kerrit
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red e90 M3

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
2014 M5 CP  [0.00]
Love my Megan. Installed in an hour with jack stands and basic hand tools. No drone and no rasp, just smooth v8 sound!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 01:14 AM   #9
Sully1Time
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
No need to go the other way and hate on the cool-aid drinkers. As long as everyone did their homework and is happy with the result its all good.
I dont hate, i think its funny
      10-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

I have had my Megan exhaust on my E92 M3 now for over a year. In fact almost 18 mos. I have had no issues with this exhaust such as fitment, breakage of mounts.

I have owned exhausts from SuperSprint, Eisenmann, Meisterchaft as well as Borla. For my Porsche I have owned AWE Tuning and Borla as well as Porsche OEM exhausts.

I am thoroughly impressed with the Megan and the fact I spent only $525 for the exhaust new for what is essentially the Agency Power exhaust. Can't begin to tell you on how many times I have people follow me to tell me that my car sounds incredible.

For you guys that just got the exhaust, give it some time...it gets better as the material inside the mufflers gets batted down.

For those of you who want a change but don't want to drop $3k+ on a full exhaust..get yourself some testpipes and a Megan catback kit you are out of less than a grand and you get a killer sounding exhaust that will make some power for under a G-note.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk

Last edited by Dave07997S; 10-30-2012 at 12:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #11
thompsanne
Rep
Drives: bmw

Installed in an hour with jack stands and basic hand tools