BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

03-30-2017, 10:45 AM   #1
Dal-z
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

2008 M3 DCT: Clunking noise between reverse and drive

Hi

Have noticed a noise when i go from reverse to drive on my 2008 M3 with DCT. It is a sort of a clunking noise, like you hit to metal pipes together. I really don't like this sound, and i think it has gotten worse the last weeks. Layed under the car yesterday and the drive shaft on the left side is a lot more loose than the one on the right side. Can it be the bearing in the differential which is failing?
Also feels like the car is pulling towards right when i step on the pedal. Due to this, i am also thinking about the bushings in the rear subrame.

Any good suggestions on what it may be?

Here's a video:
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 04:00 PM   #2
kamber
E90
Rep
Drives: '08 M3

If you search around the forums, you'll find quite a few threads on a similar noise (sounds like 2 glass bottles or metal pipes being tapped together) that is due to one or more driveshaft components requiring replacement. Could be any combination of the following; flex disc/guibo, center support bearing, or U-joint. Note that the U-joint on these cars is not serviceable or replaceable, and thus the entire driveshaft would require replacement if the U-joint was the point of failure.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 02:01 AM   #3
Dal-z
Norway
Rep

Thanks for the tip! Seems like that may be the problem. Think i will take my car to the local garage for further inspection. I guess it should go fine if i drive it there my self? There isn't any vibrations (yet), just the clunking noise and pulling sideways.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 01:27 PM   #4
Lexustbs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E90 M3

that video is of one of the axles coming out of the rear diff? am I correct?

In that case you might have to replace some diff internals as that slop is from gear or bearing wear. On another note, that corrosion is something crazy. Northern car?
      04-03-2017, 10:20 AM   #5
Dal-z
Norway
Rep

That's correct. The car will be inspected by a garage this week, hoping they have a good answer for me.
Very, very northern. The car is located in Norway. Luckily, there isn't any corrosion besides the one on the differensial.
Appreciate 0