BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

05-31-2008, 03:30 PM   #23
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

Ok update ...

I drove 40 miles to my dealer today because I figured my CA would be cool and really help me try to figure it out. When I got there I pooped my hood and a bunch of service guys were listening for it. We could all hear it pretty audibly. Like GT3Tim said ... the engine is so new that nobody had any idea what is was so all we could do is pull up another M and see if the noise was there.

Took a while for the new M to warm up, but sure enough when it did we could hear the same noise. The only difference was that on the new M it wasn't as prominent. The head service guy said to keep an ear out to see if it gets worse and bring it in if it does.

Hats off to my dealership ... there were literally 5-6 people trying to help out. I'm a little at ease now, but I'm still a tad bit weary.

If you guys are bored try to see if you can hear the sound on your cars. GT3Tim, did you try using headphones?

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 04:39 PM   #24
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCTFTW View Post
Ok update ...

I drove 40 miles to my dealer today because I figured my CA would be cool and really help me try to figure it out. When I got there I pooped my hood and a bunch of service guys were listening for it. We could all hear it pretty audibly. Like GT3Tim said ... the engine is so new that nobody had any idea what is was so all we could do is pull up another M and see if the noise was there.

Took a while for the new M to warm up, but sure enough when it did we could hear the same noise. The only difference was that on the new M it wasn't as prominent. The head service guy said to keep an ear out to see if it gets worse and bring it in if it does.

Hats off to my dealership ... there were literally 5-6 people trying to help out. I'm a little at ease now, but I'm still a tad bit weary.

If you guys are bored try to see if you can hear the sound on your cars. GT3Tim, did you try using headphones?

Yeah, used headphones. I think their advice is good...just keep an "ear" on it and see how it goes. At least you took it in and "documented" it, so to speak.

Let us know how it goes....
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 04:47 PM   #25
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded

That thumping noise sounds abnormal to me ...
      05-31-2008, 05:15 PM   #26
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo2003 View Post
That thumping noise sounds abnormal to me ...
You know ... I agree. But what am I supposed to say when you can also hear it on a brand new engine just not as loud? Hopefully it will get resolved some time or we'll figure out what it is in time. I just hope it's not doing any other damage being the way it is now.

Anyone else out there with some miles on their car that can check?

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 09:49 AM   #27
Ramphaus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 Melbourne Red/Beige

Quote:
Anyone else out there with some miles on their car that can check?
So I have close to 3K on Chele (that's her name, pronounce "Shell"). I don't hear it on mine. But then I was backing down the driveway and heard a creak from toward the rear of the car as I backed onto the street.

I agree with another poster who said that we, by sheer virtue of our passion for these autos, would be likely to over-analyze every little sound, even if it's not associated with a problem. I understand your fret, however, worrying that a sound could be associated with an unseen problem - but you could actually drive yourself and your M to an asylum since something like this could drive you mad.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 12:07 PM   #28
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramphaus View Post
So I have close to 3K on Chele (that's her name, pronounce "Shell"). I don't hear it on mine. But then I was backing down the driveway and heard a creak from toward the rear of the car as I backed onto the street.

I agree with another poster who said that we, by sheer virtue of our passion for these autos, would be likely to over-analyze every little sound, even if it's not associated with a problem. I understand your fret, however, worrying that a sound could be associated with an unseen problem - but you could actually drive yourself and your M to an asylum since something like this could drive you mad.
Oh believe me ... it has been driving me crazy for a couple days. I did hear it on a new M with only 9 miles though so that made me feel a little bit better. I'm going to see if anything changes with more miles etc. The car still drives like a dream.

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 12:51 PM   #29
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 RS

Garage List
Quote:
Oh believe me ... it has been driving me crazy for a couple days. I did hear it on a new M with only 9 miles though so that made me feel a little bit better. I'm going to see if anything changes with more miles etc. The car still drives like a dream.
took time to hear that tupperware noise, and yes i have it on mine too ... so no need to be alarmed ... it aint loud though i must say

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
|PCM with NAV and GSM|Roll Cage|PCCB|Xenons|Sports Chrono Plus|PASM|Leather Pack|Silver Seat-belts|
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 01:53 PM   #30
gbelton
TheArchitect
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Ultimate Driving Machine

Is This Your First M?

Relax, be patient and try not to look for something wrong when there really isn't; enjoy the car. I listened to your posted sounds and I have heard the same with my new baby (under 2000 miles). I am not worried though, it's a car, a mechanical device that runs well and for me, so what it clicks a little loud sometimes... I did not buy a Lexus, so the smooth buttery engine sound I am not looking for.

Lastly, what gas are you putting into her (Octane and Manufacture) and are you the only one driving it?
      06-01-2008, 01:58 PM   #31
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Turn up the radio if it bothers you. I don't think it is serious, but I can't blame you for wondering. I think everyone on this forum (including myself) is a little paranoid about their cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #32
gbelton
TheArchitect
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Ultimate Driving Machine

M Customer

MDCTFTW, check this out... Specifically watch the Facilities video. .

Are you a M customer?

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...byAbXJdwJtCdc=
      06-01-2008, 02:29 PM   #33
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamr View Post
took time to hear that tupperware noise, and yes i have it on mine too ... so no need to be alarmed ... it aint loud though i must say
Thanks for taking the time to check. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbelton View Post
Relax, be patient and try not to look for something wrong when there really isn't; enjoy the car. I listened to your posted sounds and I have heard the same with my new baby (under 2000 miles). I am not worried though, it's a car, a mechanical device that runs well and for me, so what it clicks a little loud sometimes... I did not buy a Lexus, so the smooth buttery engine sound I am not looking for.

Lastly, what gas are you putting into her (Octane and Manufacture) and are you the only one driving it?
I'm using 91 Octane Chevron which I've been using for years and I'm the only one driving it. I agree that I shouldn't be too worried. I'm an engineer by day so I'm naturally curious what is making that sound and why mine is louder than a normal M. Hopefully after some time we'll figure out why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Turn up the radio if it bothers you. I don't think it is serious, but I can't blame you for wondering. I think everyone on this forum (including myself) is a little paranoid about their cars.
Ya ... we all work hard for our toys. I've had the radio on more so I don't hear it at all. Haha.

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 02:36 PM   #34
mhutchins14
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MG 2017 340i, 6sp, MPPSK

I've pulled up to a stoplight and felt the "shake" you were referring to in the original post. Almost feels as if something in the engine is out of balance. The weird thing is that it doesn't do it everytime. It's as if it gets out of balance, then once you start moving the computers fix it and it goes away.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 02:42 PM   #35
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutchins14 View Post
I've pulled up to a stoplight and felt the "shake" you were referring to in the original post. Almost feels as if something in the engine is out of balance. The weird thing is that it doesn't do it everytime. It's as if it gets out of balance, then once you start moving the computers fix it and it goes away.
Oh sweet! I'm glad I'm not the only one. It's like a rocking back and forth, but to call it rocking would be extreme because it's so light.

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 02:50 PM   #36
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

#2 sounds familiar to me. First time I heard that I thought it's an helicopter at a greater distance... It's only occuring occasionally, though.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 11:10 PM   #37
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR

Mine had that noise!!!

It's a plastic panel that meets the brace that goes from the firewall to the passenger side shock tower. Press on it where it meets the brace and the noise goes away.

Last time my car was in, they fixed it without me saying anything about it.

BMW must know about it I guess.....
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 12:58 AM   #38
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotyH View Post
Mine had that noise!!!

It's a plastic panel that meets the brace that goes from the firewall to the passenger side shock tower. Press on it where it meets the brace and the noise goes away.

Last time my car was in, they fixed it without me saying anything about it.

BMW must know about it I guess.....
Damn Scoty ... I really was hoping you were right, but I can't seem to get that noise to go away by pushing anything in my engine bay. It does sound like like it's plastic of some sort oscillating. Any idea where on the strut bars they fixed this? I don't see too many contact points except 2 bump stops on each strut bar.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 09:25 AM   #39
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep

On mine, it was where the plastic panel was molded to meet a flat spot on the aluminum brace near the firewall.

I had tried putting something in between to reduce the vibration, but that didnn't work very well.

I'm off to the gym now, I'll try to see what they did to eliminate the problem.

Back in a few hours....
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 10:18 AM   #40
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotyH View Post
On mine, it was where the plastic panel was molded to meet a flat spot on the aluminum brace near the firewall.

I had tried putting something in between to reduce the vibration, but that didnn't work very well.

I'm off to the gym now, I'll try to see what they did to eliminate the problem.

Back in a few hours....
Ah I see. The only place I can see contact are those two grommets touching the plastic. Thanks for checking.

After listening to my sound after a couple hundred more miles driving it has lessened a little bit. I'm wondering if the 2 idle issues I listed above (a small shake and that thumping noise) are related. If the motor is oscillating back and forth it causes some parts to thump together. Possibly. I'm not too worried at this point, but I'm still curious if other people notice it and what is causing it.

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 11:53 AM   #41
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep

OK, so I've looked at what I thought the problem was. It appears that nothing has been done to prevent the two surfaces from "clapping" at idle.

I definetly remember putting pressure on the panel at this point and the noise going away.

The only thing that I can think of is that when I brought my car in for it's first service that the idle "mapping" was changed as that was the only time the noise showed up.

I'm not sure if it idled smoother after the service, but the noise was not there.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 12:36 PM   #42
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Interesting. I'm hoping it will subside or disappear. Last night I was trying to press the strut bars etc and the engine bumped the revs up like 100-200 rpm for some reason. As soon as it did that the noise was gone.

Thanks for checking Scoty.

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 08:10 PM   #43
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

Just got back from a 50 mile drive and was about to shut er down and there it was..."tupperware tapping"...
I am on record saying it is normal!!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #44
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedomn View Post
Just got back from a 50 mile drive and was about to shut er down and there it was..."tupperware tapping"...
I am on record saying it is normal!!
Sweet! Or .... not so sweet. I'm just glad I'm not the only one! Let's figure out what is making that noise!

At least it's documented here if more new owners bring this up.

Appreciate 0