BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

04-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
X2Board
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: I'm back, bitches! '13 E92 ZCP

New competition on the horizon

This looks promising!

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-sedan-feature
2011 Sapphire Black/Black E70 X5 M - Gone.
2010 Jerez Black/Black E90 M3 DCT -Gone-
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Ive been getting word this was possibly on the horizon I'm hoping they do a coupe ala 928 too.
Sucks for bmw especially bc this car is going to destroy the m3/4 let alone the c63 and others in this segment.
It will do the same to bmw and merc as the cayenne did to the x5/ml and what the Macan is going to do to the x3...

If they can price this like the Macan too, reasonably, they will take a huge market share in this segment and will undoubtedly dominate performance and handling wise.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #3
BimmerBoomer
demoted
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi S5 Sportback

One of the many reasons I'm holding off on an F80...

In the interim I hope I don't get embarrassed in my 435i xDrive "M Sport" by some dude in a Macan!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing
Ive been getting word this was possibly on the horizon I'm hoping they do a coupe ala 928 too.
Sucks for bmw especially bc this car is going to destroy the m3/4 let alone the c63 and others in this segment.
It will do the same to bmw and merc as the cayenne did to the x5/ml and what the Macan is going to do to the x3...

If they can price this like the Macan too, reasonably, they will take a huge market share in this segment and will undoubtedly dominate performance and handling wise.
I'm hopeful because I'd love to see more competition in this segment, but I'm certainly not optimistic that Porsche will produce a car in the M3/M4 price category that can "destroy" the M3/M4--at least not in objective performance figures.

Subjective indicators aside, a car that can "destroy" the M3/M4 in the performance category would necessarily step on the 911's toes. For Porsche to sell a vehicle like this at M3/M4 prices seems very unlikely.

...but hey, bring it on! If they make a car like that, I'll definitely be stepping into the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #5
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper_M3 View Post
I'm hopeful because I'd love to see more competition in this segment, but I'm certainly not optimistic that Porsche will produce a car in the M3/M4 price category that can "destroy" the M3/M4--at least not in objective performance figures.

Subjective indicators aside, a car that can "destroy" the M3/M4 in the performance category would necessarily step on the 911's toes. For Porsche to sell a vehicle like this at M3/M4 prices seems very unlikely.

...but hey, bring it on! If they make a car like that, I'll definitely be stepping into the dealership.
I disagree because the panamera turbo and turbo S beat all but the 911 turbo and higher models so I don't see why they couldn't do it. We all know they would dominate this segment on objective and subjective performance, but price is the main factor and why I said if they could keep this car at reasonable prices they'd have a car that would dominate performance and handling but also provide good value like the Macan is doing.
And while the new m3/4 might come close to a 991S in a straight (though it needs all the additional hp to do so), it will never be the tool the 911 is not the track weapon. And is the 911 is due for a refresh as it's now 4 years old.
But overall I don't see why a sedan in this segment would step on the 911s toes as it's a completely different car for a different buyer.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #6
Mthrice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 M3 Tanzanite/Blk, 15 GT3

It might be a better performer, but its ugly. I cant imagine anyone cross shopping that thing with an M4

2008 M3 BRP 2:08.4 Big Willow 1:37.8 SOW CW 1:29.0 Chuckwalla CW 2:07.4 LS 1:46.7 ACS 2:00.7
2010 GT-R BRP 1:55.3 Big Willow 1:32.0 SOW CCW 1:23.4 Chuckwalla CCW 2:02.5 Chuckwalla CW 2:00.1 LS 1:41.2 ACS 1:50.6
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 03:54 PM   #7
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper_M3 View Post

I disagree because the panamera turbo and turbo S beat all but the 911 turbo and higher models so I don't see why they couldn't do it. We all know they would dominate this segment on objective and subjective performance, but price is the main factor and why I said if they could keep this car at reasonable prices they'd have a car that would dominate performance and handling but also provide good value like the Macan is doing.
And while the new m3/4 might come close to a 991S in a straight (though it needs all the additional hp to do so), it will never be the tool the 911 is not the track weapon. And is the 911 is due for a refresh as it's now 4 years old.
But overall I don't see why a sedan in this segment would step on the 911s toes as it's a completely different car for a different buyer.
Those are some fair points, but the flip side is that the Panamera commanded a mighty price point (911 pricing) and is a markedly different car than the 911 with four doors and a curb weight of 4100 pounds.

For Porsche to produce a M3/M4-esque car at M3/M4 prices that "destroys" the M3/M4, it will still need to produce a relatively lightweight vehicle (say 3300-3500 pounds) that approaches (or, honestly, if they want to match M3/M4 straight line speed) or surpasses 911 horsepower levels. I just don't see that happening. More power to Porsche, though, if they have the guts to do it.

And with all that said, I still want to say that I certainly hope you're right! I'd snatch something up like this (if produced to Porsche's usual standard of excellence) in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 0