BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

03-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
gadget
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT

Engine Malfunction- Awesome dealer response.

Last Saturday I got the increased emissions error and the check engine light goes on. The car continued to work perfectly with no issues. I went to my dealer who immediately took my car back and began to check the codes (see pics). The code suggested it was a fault with the idle actuator but the SA noted often, these are false alarms.

My SA was looking out for me. They reset the codes and suggested I go home. He said that if the error occurred again I could bring it back in when their best tech could work on it. Otherwise, I could leave it with them and have a rookie, yet still qualified, tech work on my car. I wanted the best for my engine so decided to take it home hoping it was just a false alarm.

Fast forward to Tuesday- I'm driving and get the engine malfunction error with reduced power error. I pull over restart the engine and it goes away. However this proves that there is an issue and decide to take it in since I know it would only be a matter of time before the error came back up.

I arrived at the dealer having only given them a few minutes advance notice that I was on my way. I had to go to work- they were out of loaners but called enterprise and within a few minutes was on my way in a Kia Sportage- more on this later

So later that day I get a call from my SA- He tells me that there is a problem with the idle actuator as noted in the original error I got on Saturday. He then tells me the part needs to be order from Germany which normally takes a couple weeks
Then he says it’s on back-order and may take a lot longer- Before I could say WTF he tells me waitng tha long would not be acceptable- they had already started working on the solution.

They pulled an M3 of the lot, took apart the engine and were in the process of taking out the actuator from that car to use in mine.

This is the type of service all dealers should give. Get it fixed no matter what. I got my car back on Thursday in perfect shape. They only put 5 miles on the test run. This makes sense not like the 20+ mile test drives others have mentioned.

Anyways, just wanted to share my experience.- It shows that not all SA’s are idiots and that some dealers are worth the premium. I could have saved a few hundred bucks buying elsewhere but stayed with this dealer because of their great service.

Also, it shows that being cordial and reasonable goes a long way. I’m sure if I would have been an arrogant prick, things would have gone less smoothly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
baarii
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ..

Can you please take down the VIN# of the car they took out that part from... hehehe, i wudnt buy ...
BtW i had the same problem waited 6 weeks before the parts came
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #3
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

That was just a terrific response from your dealer, but I do have to say it is appalling that BMW Corporate does not have in place a better parts system, so that a key component is on back-order for weeks. My last BMW was an '02 745i, which was the "car from hell" and eventually bought back. I swore I would never own another BMW because these types of problems were common then, and I didn't until a couple of weeks ago.

I was persuaded that the "dark days" were over at BMW, and I could purchase a new M3 with greater confidence. I hope your case is an isolated one
      03-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
jm1234
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Jet Black/Tan/SA 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by baarii View Post
Can you please take down the VIN# of the car they took out that part from... hehehe, i wudnt buy ...
BtW i had the same problem waited 6 weeks before the parts came
Sometimes cars are damaged during shipping and they are repaired at the port. Now, they guys at the port might be more highly qualified than at the dealership but the damage could be a lot more severe. Anyway, you never can tell how many times a "new" car has been "assembled". Best to assume this could happen to any car you buy.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
psuwcc112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4 coupe

Thats some outstanding cutomer service... I wish all the SA are like that..

2015 F82 YMB M4 (Feb 28th ED, re-deliveried on Apr 18th) |My 2015 YMB M4 ED Journal
2008 E92 SSII M3 Coupe (Sold) | My long gone 2008 E92 SSII M3
2002 E39 SG 530i (Gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

DCT

Haha just playing man. Thats great. Every dealer should b like this. Unfortunately, we all know that would never happen.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

i had the same DSC malfunction after doing donuts in a parking lot... the good thing is that everything went back to normal after less than 5 mins of driving.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

Funny, they replaced my actuator, only took a couple days to get the new part.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 06:53 PM   #9
wolftrouble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Sort of a tangent, but the only thing that really had me waffling on whether to buy an M or not (back before I realized it's the most awesome car I could possibly own) was a friend of mine, big car enthusiasm and big BMW enthusiast, a few years ago bought himself a brand spanking new E46. Drove it for like 6 months then, driving like a bonehead (his own admission) did a header into a telephone pole in it.

It wasn't totaled or anything close to it, but the impact severed with wiring harness between the headlights. So they do all the bodywork needed, go to replace the harness... And tell him they need to order a new one, from Germany, since they weren't available in the US. Oh, yeah, and they're backordered.

Fast-forward 2 months later, the shop gets the harness in... And it won't fit. A few back-and-forths with BMW later it turns out that his car was manufactured during this little interim period where they used this one kind of harness and not for the rest of the E46's. So they had to BUILD him a new one. By hand, or so he claims. No lie, this was the official line from BMW.

Long story short, his car was in the shop for 6 months, almost every day of that waiting for BMW to deliver some wires'n'plugs.

Moral of the story, however, is NOT: don't buy an M. It's don't wrap it around a telephone pole.
      03-27-2009, 08:58 PM   #10
arcsynesis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Be aware that the same thing happened to my car several times. Each time it was the same fault codes etc. They used a car on the lot to scavenge an accuator off of, etc. It turned out to be the injector rails. So if you get the same faults, tell them that.

FYI, they also told me that the reason it is taking so long to get parts in is because BMW shut down their two distribution centers in the US thanks to the economy.
Appreciate 0